ad: CQMM-1

Ham Radio Deluxe and Radio Operations Center Software

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9MB

W9MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I ordered an FTDI because of Prolific problems. Especially because I need Windows 7 64 bit drivers.

2. K8WDX

K8WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

It was hard to donate, the donate button never did work right, I tried several times and gave up. That being said, I stumbled accross a Linux PC, used it for a bit now I cant go back. Nothig wrong with Windows, I just dont like it, I need my PC to work when I need it, not give me errors, or do some sort of update when I need it. Sorry Rick, maybe one day you will have a Linux version, till then all the best my friend, BTW where is my QSL card Hi Hi Tom K8WDX

3. WD4MYM

WD4MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll second the RT Systems suggestions. I have two cables for two different rigs and no problems. Never had to install the software that came with them, just plugged them in and hit Windows Update. Flawless.

Jon

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Power Management

I know a lot of Prolific chip sets got a bad name, and many problems with them are related to Windows Power Management.

I purchased two new adapters just for test. I bought both a Prolific and a FTDI chipset USB to RS232 adapter that claimed to work with windows 7.

The FTDI seems to work somewhat better with Windows Power Management enabled, The Prolific works equally as well with Power Management disabled.

Both the Prolific and a FTDI did not like the computer going to sleep or hibernating. Nor does a lot of software. HRD ?

I would check my settings before blaming the type of adapter.

5. KA9JLM

That was a similar problem with the HRD site recently.

They seem to have fixed it, and is working better now.

Hard telling how many sales were lost over that 3 months, or whenever Version 6 was announced.

The Pay button is most important...(Working Software Helps)

6. W9MB

W9MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have several Prolific cables I can't even get the drivers to work with. PITA

7. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

The donate button was a Simon thing. Never affected us. Anyway, HRD runs under WINE.. Erik was playing with it. He's the other coder in the company and is a Linux/Unix hound too!

Last time I played with Unix was in 1984 on a cromemco 68000... it was SCO XENIX though.. remember those days.

But just think of our cost as a 'forced' dontation! LOL. it does help keep Erin, Erik, Jon and V paid. I'll get paid someday when 7 or 8 is out! LOL

8. KA9JLM

I would be interested to find out what ones you have, the ones that do not work.

I will buy them from you if you have no need for them and are just going to trash them.

I wrote a new driver for one of my old ones and it works just fine.

Prolific drivers do have some bugs, not sure what the problem was for them not to fix it.

9. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

How did you get the source from prolfiic? It's a pita working with them.

10. W9MB

W9MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to remember pl 2303 or something like that. Didn't work on vista, sure aint gonna work on windows 7 64 bit.

11. KH6DC

KH6DC Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a CROMEMCO also an IMSAI, TRS80 and Apple IIe. Man we're old. While my college friends were reading Playboy, Penthouse and Hustler, I was reading Byte Magazine and the first PC Magazines.

73 Delwyn KH6DC

12. KA9JLM

Why would I need their Source Code ?

I can do a Patch for HRD without your Source Code.

You should consider making HRD work for MAC if you really want to win the business.

13. KC6IIH

KC6IIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I purchased the 5.2x and 6.0 several months ago and I am looking forward to the 6.x release

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.