ad: Radclub22-1

HAM Radio Comms Setup in Helmet and Plate Carrier

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WD3D, Nov 19, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You got me beat in VE sessions, Yamma Hamma! I’ve done 30 or so. Thanks for your work too!

TA1TRJ and WD3D like this.
  2. WD3D

WD3D Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We have a session starting at 9:00 EST tonight. Come join us. It is so fun. The VE's meet and talk radio until an examinee comes in, then we test, then we go back to talking radio afterwards, lol - stations all over the USA. @KQ1V I emailed you the zoom link if you would like to join in tonight.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    TA1TRJ and KQ1V like this.
  3. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Again, that is really good works. I applaud you.

I would join but I’m actually studying for my GROL. Hit me up offline and I will try to jump in on the next one.

TA1TRJ and WD3D like this.
  4. KD3Y

KD3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Well he did say he was in Atlanta. Been to Atlanta lately? I'd add a 203 grenade launcher and 5,000 rounds of ammo to the kit if it was me. Last time I was in Atlanta I got offered weed 6 times in the span of a three block walk and the cops screeched up in unmarked cars and did a drug bust across the street from the Greyhound bus station.

N7IDE, TA1TRJ and AK5B like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

It was KC3JH who said "A military helmet and plate carrier? Try walking down the street in that getup and you'll make a lot of new friends real quick."; not me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    TA1TRJ, AK5B and KC3JH like this.
  6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

After ten years active duty and six years in the reserves, the last thing I'd want to do now would be dress up in military gear and play army again.

Had enough of that already and I don't miss it.

KO4CES, NM9K, TA1TRJ and 7 others like this.
  7. VK6HIL

VK6HIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I appreciate this a US-focused site and there are lots of Americans here but the words "Plate Carrier" and "Helmet" coupled with Amateur Radio is not a concept a lot of the world can get their heads around.

TA1TRJ, AK5B, VK2WP and 1 other person like this.
  8. VK2WP

VK2WP Ham Member QRZ Page

Have heard some terminology in Amateur Radio over the years but must admit "Plate Carrier" and "Helmet" are things I have never heard of or have a clue what they are.

TA1TRJ and AK5B like this.
  9. VE3ZYR

VE3ZYR Ham Member QRZ Page

A plate carrier is similar in function to the chain mail that one would wear out and about in Australia.

TA1TRJ and W2XX like this.
  10. WN1MB

@VK6HIL and @VK2WP:

The vast majority of US hams use neither helmet or plate carrier. These items are pretty much reserved for use by hardcore preppers, militia, and paramilitary types - referred to by some as whackers, or wankers in Aussie speak...;)

TA1TRJ, VK6HIL, KE0GXN and 2 others like this.
  11. VK2WP

VK2WP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the clarification.

TA1TRJ and 2E0NYH like this.
  12. KD3Y

KD3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

What? Who doesn't miss painting the rocks in front of BN HQ "so they don't get sunburned", mowing the old man's parade field with a pair of scissors, and sweeping the motor pool with a toothbrush? Hell. After I got out it took me 2 years to quit feeling like I was committing a felony because I wasn't mowing my front lawn with LBE and a kevlar on. LOL

"Lariat Advance!"

C Co 5/5 Cav, 3AD
    First Brigade ~ SPEARHEAD
    Ayers Kasserne

KO4CES, TA1TRJ, N3RYB and 2 others like this.
  13. WN1MB

I not-so-fondly remember an officer inspecting my painting job of the small stones border of a sidewalk at RTC Great Lakes. Kicked at the stones with his shoe then said "You're not done yet. You didn't paint the bottoms." And he was serious.

There's a reason why Douglas Neidermeyer was killed by his own troops...;)

AE8EM, TA1TRJ, KQ1V and 2 others like this.
  14. KR0O

KR0O Ham Member QRZ Page

My many issues with this are likely different than most others'. I agree that amateur radio is for everyone and no particular group gives it a bad rep more than another. I also support the M.A.G. folks and participate as much as anyone; and thus I conclude the following:
    1: The scenarios in which such gear would be useful, if far less likely than would be, just talking through a mic and open speaker. 2: Folks that show up with such gear, can't function with it. 3: I'll take a 10 pack of UV-5R over 1 "good" radio, any day. 4: External antennas on kit are a net zero due to losses and failures. 5: It will break. 6: The most useful setting on the radios, is OFF; until actually needed. 7: Folks with such gear seem to think it is a shortcut through training, learning, fitness, and actual skill; and hope someone else will set it up for them.(and it never happens)

TA1TRJ and VK2WP like this.
  15. KD3Y

KD3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my favorites in Germany was mopping the motorpool in a rainstorm with a poncho and a mop "so the cobblestones won't float away".

TA1TRJ, VK6HIL and WN1MB like this.