ad: MyersEng-1

Ham Radio Aviator On Round The World Flight

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, May 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

oops!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. W5BIB

Kinda confusing. Flightradar24 has Brian leaving Oakland on 31July @ 0149z en route to Sacramento & arriving 31July @ 0228z. But, the radar track is showing something different:confused:
    https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n916bl/#e4e5c8d

GPS tracking has him at Cameron Airpark, Ca. /projectameliaearhart.org/tracker/map.php
    (gotta do a LOT of zooming-in)

P'bly gonna get some well deserved R&R. :) Cameron Airpark appears to be one of those communities where you can land & taxi to your Condo.

https://www.facebook.com/AmeliaEarhart80/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  3. W5BIB

Remaining schedule for Brian & "Spirit":

Update *Estimated Flight Schedule* : Date : Airport_ID
    Cameron Park, CA, USA : ~31-Jul :
    Atchison, KS, USA : ~2-Aug : KK59
    Kestrel Airpark, TX, USA : ~3-Aug : 1T7
    *Note: Dates are approximate and subject to change without notice.

4. W5BIB

A note from Brian's journal...

//QUOTE//
    So much happening so fast! I've had no time to write anything. Seems that many of you have been doing the writing for me so, thank you!

Spirit and I are now in Cameron Park, California, where I used to live, visiting with old friends and family out here before pressing on toward Texas tomorrow morning. I do plan to overnight in Atchison, KS, on Thursday night, completing the circumnavigation late afternoon on Friday. I suspect there will be a bit of a party atmosphere at Kestrel Airpark (1T7) around 6PM Friday. If anyone wants to join in, I'd love to see you! If you want to fly in we'll find someplace to park your plane.

Yesterday was a bit of a blur. As some of you may know, Bonnie Crystal has been the backbone for the information provided here. She has done an amazing job! Well, I got to meet her for the first time yesterday! We got a lot of pictures and then went over to ARINC for a tour. Curtis Maccoun works there and was one of the voices at the other end of the HF radio giving me information and ATC directives across most of the Pacific. Curtis is a ham and the only person who has "worked" me on both the Amateur Radio and ARINC frequencies. It was quite interesting to see the other end and to talk to the other people who "worked" me for most of a couple of days. ARINC has an amazing communications network. From what I learned I suspect there is a whole article on the unknown aviation communications network.

After the visit to ARINC we headed over to the Civil Air Patrol squadron at Oakland. CAP Squadron 188 is the "Amelia Earhart" squadron and has just boatloads of Amelia Earhart memorabilia. The building they are in is also the old hotel where Amelia Earhart stayed when she was in Oakland. Her circumnavigation flight originated in Oakland and would have finished there. She officially announced her flight on June 1 in Miami but she had already crossed the US by then. In any case, my "recreation" of her flight ended at Oakland. All that is left now is to fly on to Atchison, her birthplace, and pay final homage to Amelia Earhart before returning home to Kestrel Airpark, Spring Branch, Texas.

Look for more pictures and video as we manage to get things processed and put up both here and on the web site. It isn't over yet!
    //End Quote//

5. W5BIB

Here's a revised schedule for Brian & "Spirit" showing a couple of added stops.

Update *Estimated Flight Schedule* : Date : Airport_ID

Prescott, AZ, USA : 2-Aug : KPRC : ETA Noon
    Albuquerque, NM, USA : 2-Aug: ETA Evening
    Atchison, KS, USA : ~3-Aug : KK59 : ETA Mid-day
    Kestrel Airpark, TX, USA : ~4-Aug : 1T7 : ETA 6pm local time
    *Note: Dates are approximate and subject to change without notice.

6. W5BIB

7. W5BIB

8. W5BIB

9. W5BIB

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  10. W5BIB

Landed Grand Canyon 03Aug./0155z

11. W5BIB

Brian & "Spirit" departed Grand Canyon & Radar Tracking began 03-Aug. @ 1640z.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n916bl/#e5705be

GPS tracking: http://projectameliaearhart.org/tracker/map.php

//Quote from Brian//
    Project Amelia Earhart
    14 hrs ·
    Left Cameron Park today after visiting old friends and neighbors. Flew to Prescott, AZ, and to the Grand Canyon. I love the Grand Canyon. I am looking forward to waking before dawn and watching the sun redraw the Canyon at daybreak.

Tomorrow (perhaps today when you read this) I will have crossed all the meridians (lines of longitude) and technically completed a circumnavigation. Shortly after that Spirit, Faye, and I will land at Atchison, Kansas, the birthplace of Amelia Earhart.

Friday we return to Kestrel Airpark. Sometime around 6PM we will land and close the circle. Lots of friends are planning to come to watch us land and join in the party afterward. I have a very nice bottle of champagne given to me by Mike Zaballos while I was visiting in Cameron Park. I think that will be the right time to pop that open and celebrate.

Looking forward to all of you joining in somehow. I wish you all could be there.

Good night. Only two days left in this adventure.

//End Quote//

12. W5BIB

13. W5BIB

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  14. W5BIB

Project Amelia Earhart shared Brian Lloyd's post.
    2 hrs ·
    Coming home party today 6PM (Friday 4 August) at Kestrel Airpark Texas, for Brian Lloyd in the Spirit flight circumnavigating the globe. He will make a short pit stop this afternoon at San Marcos airport just prior completing the Project Amelia Earhart 80th Anniversary Flight at Kestral. It is possible that he may arrive earlier, at 4pm? Party location is at Rick Kelley's hanger at Kestral Airpark. -webmaster

//Arrived San Marcos 04Aug. @ 2055z//

15. W5BIB

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017