ad: TinyPaddle-1

Ham radio a 'fascinating hobby,' enthusiasts say

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2NCC, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

What did HAM radio do before Internet, satellites and smart phones allowed us to communicate with HAMs even more afield? ? ?

2. KI4YZI

KI4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see that the two terms are necessarily mutually exclusive. It's my "hobby" when I'm just trying to make a few contacts, whether for ragchewing, contesting, or helping me to learn a new mode. But when my "services" are needed in time of disaster or other communication need, I'm there. It's the "hobby" part that keeps me in practice.

3. KI4YZI

KI4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said, Richard!

4. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

Likewise! :)

5. KC9MBL

KC9MBL Ham Member QRZ Page

KI4YZI I think you gave the best answer sir!

6. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio is a fun learning tool... a means of technical investigation. As a teen in the 80's, this hobby led to a continuing career as a comm-electronics or telecommunications technician, engineer and consultant.

The "service" aspect is secondary or ancillary to the above purpose.

To each his own...

7. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Howdy yourself stranger! Doing well John. Sold off my HF gear recently and been playing with new toys.

I'm mostly on G+ and of course, always uploading something new to my YOUTUBE page.
    Wrote a little guide on one of the VHF+ digital modes this week. I have more planned.

As far as hobby vs service, I got into this because of CERT, but I don't think I've ever been a service, or received one, that was strictly amateur radio. As the local cops told me, "We really don't need you help. We have our own radios."

But one thing for sure, it's the best hobby of many I've had!

k2nccATVtshirt001.jpg

8. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you finding a lot of activity on VHF digi modes, Frank? I've seem some of your videos (neat stuff, btw) but was curious how much you're actually seeing!

9. K2NCC

Hey Jim! I'll try not to stay off-topic too long. Perhaps my next will be a PM so we don't take over the thread with our conversation.

Meanwhile, even on HF, I don't spend as much time on the ham-bands as I do in other services. The only drawback now is that with many things I listen to, I can't QSO on. So, no logging "pocsag" or "ADS-B".

But lots of modes and methods to listen to on VHF+. Most of what I do at the moment seems to be "tracking" things... boats, planes, trains, cars, satellites.

Since I live nearby lots of water, my favorite "idle" activity is AIS, ship tracking.

aisshiptracking001[1].PNG

I'm able to do things now with a $20 dongle that I couldn't do with a $2000 Flexradio. Like 2M SSB, really all mode from HF to 1.7ghz, or listening to six slices of RF at once.

I'm glad there's so many smart (and generous) people out there that make this hobby so fascinating!

10. NZ4X

NZ4X Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Swapmeet Lead QRZ Page

You got that right Mark!

11. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent response to both posts, Richard! There are those, like me, who love making friends all over the world with little more than, as one post put it, a battery and a piece of wire. After >40 years, it still fascinates me when I contact folks in "far away places with strange sounding names" (for those old enough to remember that song!) with < 100 watts and a stealth random wire. Then there are those who step in and serve, helping out the way hams always have in emergencies. Experimenting, internet, going after the ISS...all this and more, ham radio has something for everyone to enjoy.
    Vy 73, Joe

12. W6UDO

Good points, Steve. Ham radio is what got me into work as an electronic tech late 1960s - 80s. Didn't keep it up, tho....stuff got too small for me to work with. And these days I need magnifying specs to work on my folks' old 1950s RCA AM (tube) radio.
    Very 73...Joe

13. W6UDO

We did, and still do, used transmitters, receivers, and antennas, along with ionospheric propagation. When "the bands are good", I can work almost anywhere in the world with 90 watts and a wire thrown into a tree. When not so good, maybe the next state. Either way, tho, lots of fun, even when the band changes in the middle of a QSO and you lose that DX contact. (Another nice thing about the internet...you can look up that DX station you lost here on the zed and e-mail or snail mail him and tell him, "Sorry I lost you. Very 73"!)....Joe

14. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I spent years as an AEC in charge of public service event coordination. I have hundred of hours of 'service'. I gave that up around 2006. Now, the reason people aren't clamoring for the position is that one of the duties is to make sure the public service events we do get staffed properly. MANY of the local hams just would not do public service work of any kind because radio was just a hobby for them. They also would not offer any help during an emergency because they thought it was best left up to the professionals. I sure don't hold that against them. My point was that none of us serve anyone unless we want to and it is not a requirement to do so. HR is a hobby and a fine one at that. I would even say that it's a craft. The term 'service' is used by the FCC like the word 'division'.

15. K2NCC

This hobby draws people who like to serve, perhaps due to the ample opportunities to do so. But I can't think of any hobby that doesn't have those types of people. Could have easily been horse-racing.

"When all else fails.", which rarely happens in my life, is about the only thing amateur radio has going for it as a "service". It's something I intended to use to help, but now just do for fun. I've been fortunate enough to have never been in a big enough emergency that my hobby skills would be of any use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.