ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Radio 360: Workbench-12 Building the Antenna Analyzer

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4CDN, Dec 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you! We finally know what the analyzer does!

Maybe the real problem is that this particular podcast seems to be one in a long series (many hours) of lectures on a project a small group did to allow others to follow as they wished, but the QRZ "Splash Page" communicated to many that it was PRIMARILY a podcast covering a product listeners could buy, build and use (its not - the podcast is about one leg of the trip, not so much the destination). Hence, a real disconnect in expectations. Particularly when the referenced links to "specifications" contained ... none.

To quote: "This week on the Workbench George (KJ6VU) and Jeremy (KF7IJZ) breakdown what it takes to build the new HR360/K6BEZ Antenna Analyzer and where to find all the information you’ll need to make it happen!"

Again, a really poor job of communications. Please label your news items on the QRZ news page appropriately next time and spend one, single and clear sentence to say:

"THIS IS ONE PODCAST IN A SERIES OF 15 FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN THE DEVELOPMENT STORY OF A HOMEBREW ANTENNA SWR ANALYZER - RUNTIME OF EACH PODCAST IS 60-120 MINUTES"

Then we would know immediately whether it was of interest to us, and you'd get a lot less flak from disappointed listeners. Saves personal time on both ends.

2. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Cal.
    I just pre ordered .
    I like what you and the gang are doing on Ham radio 360.

K4CDN likes this.
  3. K4CDN

K4CDN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bryan, for your continued effort to keep me near the top of the Zed front page news feed!

Merry Christmas!

Cale Nelson, K4CDN
    Executive Producer-6ARN

N4MN and KB1HQS like this.
  4. WE5N

WE5N Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks again Cale, Appreciate what you, and the gang do. I really appreciate the sponsors that keep you running. All the sponsors are really class acts, and hearing Elecraft is going to become a sponsor is really impressive. Maybe the Kx3 for Cale will become a reality someday.. I am all for discussions which are beneficial to your passion, and there is some good input for the group to talk about..

73 and Hope all have a safe Christmas & New year.. God Bless

Prosise

K4CDN likes this.
  5. N4BPJ

N4BPJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cale,

Just for clarification: "Brian" is keeping you at the top of the page. I feel it would be tragic if I were confused with that one.

Thanks,
    Bryan

K4CDN likes this.
  6. K4CDN

Sorry Man, further example of my inability to communicate :) Merry Christmas!

N4MN, WD3N, W9AFB and 1 other person like this.
  7. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cale:

No problem, Cale. Glad I could help. Somebody has to! :)

Brian - K6BRN

K4CDN likes this.
  8. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interested but I think I'm missing something - where is the schematic of the bridge, or "front end", if you will, of this device?

K4CDN likes this.
  9. KJ6VU

KJ6VU Ham Member QRZ Page

K4CDN likes this.
  10. KJ6VU

KJ6VU Ham Member QRZ Page

K4CDN likes this.
  11. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

A minor comment
    " this week " is NOT a definition WHEN the event will happen.

I agree with many comments, particularity the ones about wasting time.
    Call me selfish , but I did not waste my time trying to find some "meat and potatoes" in this thread, but I did take a peak at the software which appears to calculate SWR ONLY.

Is my observation correct? Yes or no answer will do.

73 Shirley

12. KD2AZI

KD2AZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well thanks to this thread I was quickly able to figure out what it is w/o the need for a podcast.

I encourage everyone to investigate Arduino or pic etc. controllers... Really neat stuff for the homebrewer, and lots of ham-radio projects out there on the 'net to emulate.

It's great that people are willing to develop products for a hobby market; thanks gents for offering this.

K4CDN likes this.
  13. K4CDN

Yes and No.

In the stand alone mode, it will report the SWR at the frequency you select.
    With a PC connected running the supplied PC program, it will sweep a frequency range that you define and it will report the SWR across that range in a graphical window.
    One reason to publish the source is to allow builders to enhance the functionality. For example you can program it to sweep and identify the 2:1 or 3:1 VSWR points as a pair of frequencies.

KD2AZI, it's a pleasure to contribute to the Hobby!

For those that missed the first and 2nd runs, a 3rd is on order (4 week expected delivery).

For what was simply intended to be a post about this weeks Podcast Episode; this thread has done quite a bit for the sales of the board-Thank You All!
    We hope you all enjoy your build!

14. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, okay. Thanks. I take it that the G1 thru G4 thing is the BNC connector - I've never seen that particular schematic symbol used for a coaxial connector - that's what messed me up.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Fun!

K4CDN likes this.