ad: ProAudio-1

Ham Radio 2.0: Episode 56 - What is Echolink?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Aug 31, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2016
    K8VEN likes this.
  2. KB3WGE

KB3WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Echolink is the COOLEST app I have downloaded in my LG smart phn. LONG LIVE AMATEUR RADIO & all the cool new technology.Respectfully submitted KB3WGE Jimi a.k.a. "SPARKS" !!!

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It takes a hour to say Echolink is VOIP ?

That video is out of my bandwidth.

NU4R likes this.
  4. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know a guy in the Orlando,FL area who has WAS, WAC, DXCC, and than some, and working now on WAZ on Echolink...and darn proud of it. We're so proud of his accomplishments.

<smh>

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    K3RW likes this.
  5. W4RA

W4RA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have WAZ; DXCC, WAS, WAC and a bunch of those and I didn't use my telephone at all, just my transmitter/receiver/antenna/key and/or microphone and my knowledge of radio propagation.
    Gee, some of those contacts I could probably duplicate even if the internet went down.

6. AL7EM

AL7EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Warning about Echolink. If you lose your original email address then it is darn near impossible to get back in the fold.

7. N8JRP

N8JRP Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL How did that work during Hurricane Katrina? The Tsunami in Indonesia?

8. K8VEN

K8VEN Ham Member QRZ Page

'Real RADIO voip is the pit's for communication...no antennas....no towers...connect with your Iphone no coax....solar flares don't count.........IT IS HAM RADIO TECHNOLOGIES......73...see u on voip

9. K8VEN

K8VEN Ham Member QRZ Page

I won't argue that point.....73

10. W5AMG

W5AMG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great presentation, I was falling asleep after 6 minutes, really boring presentation and inaccruate. As far as VOIP, now we can remote VOIP to our home radio or someone else's, but no one
    says that's not "real". K1RFD was an "early adopter" and embraced and improved on an emerging technology at the time. Even well after 10 years, Echolink still has an average of 2500 active
    stations at any given time in the US alone! Is it the light that outshines all others, no. One of the joys of amateur radio is that there are so many different "modes" & technologies to enjoy!

G3SEA, AL7A and K5YVY like this.
  11. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried the EchoLink thing .... It works , yet to ME , it is just a toy ....

I know of a few Technitian class operators who get ' stuck '

and do not upgrade .... That is fine with me , it bothers me not ....

JB

12. AL7A

AL7A Ham Member QRZ Page

Boy, for being the Dayton Hamvention Amateur of the Year, kinda close minded about "other" aspects of amateur radio.

G3SEA likes this.
  13. W4RA

W4RA Ham Member QRZ Page

In my town we have several VHF repeaters and I have radios on both D-STAR and Fusion and can be heard on those modes in addition to traditional amateur ssb/morse.. But it does trouble me that there is a growing believe among some license holders that the internet 'will always be there in an emergency.'

14. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

I really gave the video a shot ...... I just could not make it through the whole thing either ....

First thing ...... The presenter did not know HOW to explain the mode .....

Second ...... The audio was TERRIBLE ..... He SHOULD have repeated the questions from the attendees .....

Sorry ! I just couldn't make it through ......

Echolink is FULL of people who have no clue as well ...... Just NOT bright ....

His demo conversations were amazingly dumb like a new amateur would sound

on their FIRST contact !!!!! Gee , he has been at this for YEARS ! ! OMG !

This is the nicest way for me to explain how it came across .....

WOW !

JB

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  15. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed and, I have been and still am very opposed to echolink. I believe it is a crutch to incoming hams. Disabled hams is another story and I think it is very helpful to them.

Echolink is NOT a mode as some have called it. Where on the front of a radio, any radio do you see a mode switch labeled "Echolink". There is none.

In addition to your comments about the internet always being there, it isn't and my beef with the ARRL on this is there propaganda statement "When all else fails ham radio gets through" or something similar. If when all else fails, why does ARRL continue to encourage us to get connected via the internet, the very medium they say will fail.

Go figure.