ad: ProAudio-1

Glenn Johnson, W0GJ, Bouvet DXpedition Team Member, interviewed by Tim Duffy, K3LR at DX Engineering

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Jan 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K8KSU

K8KSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Published on Jan 19, 2017

Glenn Johnson, W0GJ interviewed by Tim Duffy, K3LR at DX Engineering on January 11, 2017 in Tallmadge, Ohio.
    Glenn Johnson, W0GJ is one of the team members that will be activating Bouvet Island as 3Y0Z in January 2018.

Bouvet Island ranks number 2 in the most wanted entities by amateur radio operators all over the world.
    DX Engineering is proud to be an active sponsor for this widely anticipated DXpedition.

DK7PE, YO4FKO, N4FZ and 2 others like this.
  2. G4IZZ

G4IZZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder how many have been alienated by their speed of working? It's very fast CW - and whilst I appreciate their trying to work as many as possible - just a little slower would be appreciated by many, I'm sure.

N4FZ and W4IOA like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

3y0c_pic6.jpg Typically, DXpeditions send much faster than they listen(send often at 35WPM). They tend to prefer single call transmissions at 22-25 WPM. Send your call once at moderate speed.

Too slow and the QSB will screw up your call.

BTW, Glenn is a critical requirement for the success of this dxpedition, not just for operating, but keeping the team up and healthy. This is a risky location with an experienced team. Crap weather. Amazing winds. GL guys!

I do hope N4BQW (Dr. Brady as 3Y0C shown above)can be memorialized in some way by your team...a plaque perhaps? Chuck was a great man that is forgotten because of the means of his demise. Unfair:-(

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  4. WA8Y

WA8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Please explain how Dr. Brady died.

5. KC8IMB

KC8IMB Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Chuck Brady , a former astronaut and physician, passed by his own hand in 2006. He was in chronic pain from rheumatoid arthritis. There has been speculation that his state of mind was aggravated by his medications.

Chuck was a brilliant 'gung ho' guy who is a worthy role model for many. His memory has been virtually ignored since he passed.

Chuck never hurt anyone and was an honorable, highly accomplished man. Tragic end for a great man.

Chuck undertook many DXpeditions 15-20 years ago, including Kingman Reef, Palmyra, Kure, Wake, and (of course) Bouvet. He was an extraordinary DXpeditioner who often surprised the 'deserving' by just showing up on the bands!

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

A GOOD day on Bouvet...

[​IMG]

YO4FKO likes this.
  8. KD8TNF

KD8TNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I plow in to all of them with my QLF straight key operating usually at the KW+ level, well tuned. They work me, and many accommodate my level of skill with a welcome speed reduction on the exchange 5NN TU dit dit. Most everyone, even operating in the most remote places on earth or in orbit recall what starting out on code was like. The only exception (so far) for me is the Tucows guy, which many others nonetheless manage to work. I'll get him sooner or later. Any op should not be reluctant to try for these stations, they are waiting to work you. 73

9. KG5QLS

KG5QLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Another great show! THANKS Guys!