ad: Mountaingoat-1

Gerry's Ham Radio Life: 48 Years of W1VE

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Dec 12, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_070_W1VE_Thumbnail07.jpg
    There are many hams who can claim five decades of amateur radio but there are few who have been immersed in so many facets of the hobby as Gerry Hull, W1VE. Gerry is active throughout his native Canada with several VE callsigns, he's well known for his expertise in the remote ham radio space, he's consulted for and operated the AA7JV Radio-in-a-Box project, and was instrumental in creating the online contest scoreboard concept. He's a competitive contester, consummate DXer, technical writer, a long-time member of the Yankee Clipper Contest Club, and more. In this interview, Gerry talks specifically about his recent CQ WW CW multi-op contest effort at the Maine superstation, K1LZ, and then we do a speed round of questions that cover some of his nearly 50 years in ham radio.

YD1DLM, W8XY, K1HC and 1 other person like this.
  2. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great interview. Gerry and radio in the box is here to stay. Huge stuff.

HB9EPC and W1DED like this.
  3. VU2JO

VU2JO Ham Member QRZ Page

Though I got my initial licence nearly 40 years back, I had a hiatus for nearly a decade, before I become active again, with a renewed licence. Now I have found that it is not uncommon in Ham world as I have found persons who have taken 'leave' of even a half century! Many returned to the hobby during Covid times and quite a few after retirement.

HB9EPC and W1DED like this.
  4. W4RN

W4RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Gerry is a true gentleman and readily shares his highly creative ideas and knowledge with others.

Congratulations, Gerry. It's great that your many accomplishments are being spotlighted here.

Mike
    W4RN (Ex-W0YR)

HB9EPC, VU2JO and W1DED like this.
  5. K1HC

K1HC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great, far-ranging interview! Gerry helped me get my station remote, so I can personally say he always finds the time to help others. Thanks again, Gerry!

HB9EPC, VU2JO and W1DED like this.
  6. W8XY

W8XY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was privileged to sit in on Gerry's remote presentation at the 2023 CTU in Dayton. I used his recommendations (and Mumble server) to take my remote operation to the next level. His research was as valuable to me as that of my first elmers many years ago.

VU2JO, HB9EPC and W1DED like this.