ad: IslandMagic-1

Georgia now charging for Ham Radio License Tags

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5EAK, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AA4HA

AA4HA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am glad to see that I am not alone in that thought.

2. W3DBB

W3DBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in the Commonwealth of Philadelphia...

I won't be surprised if Pennsylvania follows suit. I'm sure they already charge to obtain an amateur radio callsign vehicle registration license plate. How will the Commonwealth resist the temptation to charge holders of amateur radio callsign vehicle registration license plates additional yearly fees for vehicle registration renewals? I'm not willing to obtain a special license plate without reasonable assurance what it will cost me in the future. It costs the state more to stamp a special plate but after that, the registration renewal is no different than any other. The renewal fees should all be the same.

Last I heard PA was 2 billion in the hole for the current fiscal year which ends this month. I already dropped my motorcycle driving privileges because PA wanted extra money for that when I renewed my driver's license. I hadn't ridden for 15 years and recently I traded my cycle for an IC-737. Why pay for something you don't use? It's going to cost the state more money in the long run when people like me go back to motorcycling and have to take their motorcycle driver's test again. This state just keeps digging itself into a deeper financial hole.

The modern solution to everything seems to be throw money at it. Even if you haven't got it. Now, where's my $10 "extra value meal"? :)

3. AD5XJ

AD5XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Call me crazy but I think W5EAK was complaining about the method used rather than just the cost. Sticker shock is one thing but deceptive and devious political methods are quite another.

W5EAK is right about this being the time to demand more transparency and accountability in government - from local, county, and state all the way to the White House.

You can stay asleep now and pass it off but, you will someday pay a much larger price when later it actually does cost a lot to you as an amateur radio operator in terms much broader than the license renewal fee.

Demand better from your legislators at every level of government.

4. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Arizona charges $25 plus a $25 annual renewal fee on top of the license tag fee that rivals California. They also charge me the same for my Veterans plate. which I really think should be free to anyone who's served. I guess if you want it, you pay for it.

5. KC2GYU

KC2GYU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NJ charges a one time fee of 50 dollars for the Amateur Radio tags, and you pay your normal registration fees every year.

6. KD0EAH

KD0EAH Ham Member QRZ Page

MN just wanted to add another vanity plate to the 29 or so plates that they already have. I quite counting at 29.

Wrote my congress critter and asked him why we need so many plates and how many "special interests" groups were we going to allow.

Then I asked how soon it would be before we had a civil war veterans plate.

He got the point about then.

7. W4NCS

W4NCS Ham Member QRZ Page

tag fees

I am in Knov County, Knoxville and emergency tags with call sign are $60.00 here.

8. W5EAK

W5EAK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The license tags in Georgia have never been free, before now, they just didn't charge the Vanity Fee every year, plus the set up fee. My home state is Texas and I pay just as much as anyone else for my tags, plus $1.00 a year for "Texas Radio Operator" License with your call on them.
    Rex
    W5EAK

9. W5EAK

W5EAK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you! You got my point!
    W5EAK

10. K4VIC

K4VIC Guest

My New GA Ham Plates

But I like #2 better:D May change my callsign!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010
  11. KC2TCM

KC2TCM Ham Member QRZ Page

NY rapes its subjects every two years with increased fees for just about every type of "custom" plate. For localized custom plates (not ham) it's >$100 EXTRA every 2 years. I forget the exact cost, but I dropped my DOPPLE tags because of it.

Ham is a lot cheaper, but they just raised ALL the fees this year.

12. N5IZC

N5IZC Ham Member QRZ Page

Fees for Amateur Radio Tags

The news that the State of Georgia is charging for amateur radio tags is sad, but Utah, where I live, began charging for it several years ago. The tags for my truck cost an additional $17, even though amateur radio operators are considered an asset in this state and a very large proportion of residents are hams.

13. WB4TJH

WB4TJH Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to pay extra for my ham call car tag in Florida, and now that I live in Missouri, I have had to pay extra for my call plate here. So what's the gripe? If you want it, then pay it, or do without. Stupid complaint...welcome to the real world.

14. KG4CIU

KG4CIU Ham Member QRZ Page

NO!!!!

Special plate but not a vanity plate
    for an additional $78 one can obtain a vanity plate.
    The amateur radio plates were used to identify Radio amateurs whom are registered as available to provide communications on a voluntary basis.

15. KG4CIU

KG4CIU Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know where you get your info but check lexisnexis for ga code 40-2-75 where the word free is used to describe the fee for an amateur radio plate.
    ยง 40-2-75. Special license plates for amateur radio operators

(a) Motor vehicle owners who are residents of the State of Georgia and who hold an unrevoked and unexpired official amateur radio station license issued by the Federal Communications Commission, upon application, accompanied by proof of ownership of such license, and upon full compliance with the state motor vehicle laws in relation to registration and licensing of motor vehicles shall be issued, free of charge, a special design license plate for a private passenger vehicle upon which shall be inscribed the official amateur radio call letters of such applicant as assigned by the Federal Communications Commission. Each licensed amateur radio operator shall be entitled to no more than one such free plate at a time. The commissioner may consult with licensed amateur radio operators residing in the State of Georgia in the design of the special license plate authorized by this subsection

http://web.lexis-nexis.com/research...z-zSkAA&_md5=0f98d48408bdc6966ba8317c16ccbd87

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.