ad: portazero-1

Further Erosion of Short Wave Services.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4LHT, Dec 8, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. G4LHT

G4LHT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So all these BCers are bailing out of SW. That should make it possible for the Chinese to move out of 40 meters or the ham bands to expand one of these days, right?

KG4DXJ, NK2U, W2KG and 2 others like this.
  3. K0NXM

K0NXM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it too much to wish for our rights to "200 meters and down"?

AC7DD, KD8ZMN, KC5MO and 2 others like this.
  4. KG5EXW

KG5EXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just look at how much the BBC has cut back on its AM/SW World Service services, a tradionally comprehensive news, weather and current affairs medium.

G4LHT likes this.
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

KE5OFJ, G4LHT and AF6LJ like this.
  6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

G4LHT likes this.
  7. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

It probably is.
    Recent experience from WRC-15 shows that existing services jealously guard their frequency allocations even if they are vacant.
    Besides that, military users can make use of every kHz in the HF range, and most spectrum administrators also regard amateur radio as irrelevant.

We are rapidly losing support especially among the European administrations.

73/
    Karl-Arne

G4LHT and NK2U like this.
  8. K2AYE

K2AYE Ham Member QRZ Page

I am telling Donald trump on you people lol On A serious note this to bad. I would listen to radio a lot before I got my ticket. It was a real treat to listen to Radio Australia on a portable. Merry Christmas!

G4LHT likes this.
  9. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

As a young person I never listened to Shortwave radio, but did listen to AM Broadcast night time DX, such as WLS Chicago; or WWVA Wheeling West Virginia, to upstate NY.

KD2ANN, G4LHT, KB2SMS and 2 others like this.
  10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed, I use to enjoy listening to them when I would return home from work.

G4LHT likes this.
  11. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Big money does not care about people - in the Bush or otherwise. Behind big money justice always fails.

KR3DX, G4LHT and WU8Y like this.
  12. N3FH

N3FH Ham Member QRZ Page

My grandfather got me interested in international SWBC post WWII. It was how he kept track of events in Europe since the whole family was European immigrants. Surprised a lot of friends during the Faulkland Islands crisis using my AM SW radio to prove US news was not accurate. Two of them became listeners as a result. I still listen to the news from other countries. It gives perspective! Especially this election cycle.

N0TZU, G4LHT, W0PV and 1 other person like this.
  13. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

as a kid, I used to love to listen to late night hockey from the midwest, not sure which stations, but would often be able to check out a couple of games... detroit, chicago, even minnesota.

K9ASE, G4LHT, WD8ED and 1 other person like this.
  14. KG4WBB

KG4WBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Pirate Radio will move in to those frequencies;OH joy !

G4LHT likes this.
  15. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How about the ARRL and the FCC get together and allow Hams to take over and allow broadcasts? This would be a good service, I am sure there would be plenty of AMers who would love to try.

KD8ZMN and G4LHT like this.