ad: Radclub22-1

Frozen QRP @8858ft POTA activation

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by CE3FJK, Jun 26, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. CE3FJK

CE3FJK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

rucking 60lbs bag to the mountains to "enjoy" the low 20'sF.
    Lot of contacts SSB QRP even one QRPP at 0.1W.

KN4OK, N3VG, W5BIB and 3 others like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for video. I had a flashback of humping a very heavy ruck with a PRC104 in the Alaska winter too many times. Looks like you had fun, again, thanks for sharing.

CE3FJK likes this.
  3. CE3FJK

Looks like you like operating outside as well.. I'm glad the video brought you some good memories.

4. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks beautiful. I never attempted Winter camping, loved going in Spring or Fall; Summer is just too hot!

CE3FJK likes this.
  5. CE3FJK

thanks! summer is def. texan hot, I rode through TX from eastern DFW all the way up to amarillo to palo duro canyon, it was a hard ride in summer. I got worse when I crossed into the death valley. not sure I will do that again on a bike.

6. W4HMB

W4HMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh yes, a good fart sack is good to have. I was a lover of mountains many years ago. Be safe up there!

N3VG and CE3FJK like this.
  7. N3VG

N3VG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Old thread, but i'm just perusing the forum...

In the USMC we used ahkio sleds to pull gear through frozen terrain. There were usually four sled "dogs" pulling it (I was enlisted, I was one of the dogs). We wore snowshoes typically to stay on top of the snowpile. Mickey mouse boots too - those who were there will know. Humping gear like that will wear you out, and regardless the temperature, you'll be soaked with sweat when you reach your destination.

Word of warning: sleep with your socks. If you hang them in your tent to dry, they will freeze, and putting them on again in the wee hours will be impossible.

CE3FJK and WD4ELG like this.