Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 87

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Feb 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W6NCB

W6NCB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually no, I wish they did have other frequencies available, including Ham. If the proverbial stuff does hit the fan, I would hope that they would have every means available to assist citizens, and if that means communication using amateur radio frequencies I would be all for it. I'd even help them program their radios with the correct splits/tones for local repeaters in it. You say without getting their ham license like that takes an act of Congress, go get your EMT, paramedic, firefighter 1, or for us here in California it's called a LEO post certificate. Hell of a lot harder than a ham ticket. Trust me I got a few.

W3RXO likes this.
  2. VK6APZ

VK6APZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. VK6APZ

VK6APZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with this old Whinger and i want my name put on the bully register with stars and sprinkles.

4. N8VIL

N8VIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I modified my Icom IC-735 and IC-736 so I could use 60 meters. I had a few successful contacts there. I think this is a legit reason.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  5. W8LGZ

W8LGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Blah, blah, blah...Troll thread.

6. N4AXE

N4AXE Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ where people come to argue when they are bored.

AA1PR likes this.
  7. N6KZB

N6KZB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Commercial radios new and old are allowed to be used in the amateur radio service. Always have been OM.
    The majority of amateur radio repeaters and link systems are commercial radios. Some modified, some tweaked, some bought right off the shelf.

It is the modification of amateur radios that are not type accepted for the service some are being used in, that is the focus.
    Again it is amateur radio equipment being illegally used, not commercial gear that is allowed to be used.

AA1PR likes this.
  8. N6KZB

N6KZB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"As far as the original topic, I've never modded any of my radios. I did have one modded out for me, when I was issued my temporary MARS callsign. But, I never followed through on joining MARS, and never used the capability. But, I have owned several radios which were modified, before I got them. Am I morally responsible for returning them to the manufacturer's specs, as produced for FCC type acceptance?" W3RXO

Also on this statement...... No you have to do nothing, un-modify nothing, read the rules... As long as you do not transmit on non-amateur radio spectrum that your license grants. Nothing ever said about if you own a modified amateur radio.

And just because the cheap Chinese radios are so easy to put out of band, does not imply any right to do so under FCC rules.
    It is your license, let your concise be your guide.

9. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh? Our EOC here has ham equipment. We have ham equipment (2m fm) out at the National Weather Service at the airport. The sheriff department dispatch here has a two meter rig (on and monitoring) and we have a 2m fm repeater that is used just for emergency purposes (monitored at the sheriff department dispatch but no chatting at all). We also have ham radio MotoTRBO repeaters with channels dedicated to local emergency use (like search and rescue) that also have radios in all the local hospitals. Well, ya know what? We have NEVER had any of them used illegally by a person at one of those locations just deciding to get on and gab. The reverse spin you suggest has not happened here. :)

10. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

And also let you conscience (scruples, moral compass, etc.) be a guide too. :)

As for modded radios, all of mine are capable of out-of-ham-band operation. I was in the Navy MARS program. That closed on September 30, 2015. I transferred to Air Force MARS, so I am capable of using the whole HF spectrum and a goodly portion of the vhf and uhf too. I do not intrude on the police channels on vhf-uhf. We have specific frequencies on the hf bands for our use assigned by the NTIA for our MARS use (and occasional cross use with Canadian and other country versions of MARS).

Believe it or not, MARS even has its own "how many contacts can you make" type of contests. We have one coming up that will have various units using 20 watt SSB field radios to score contest points by making national and international contacts with our MARS stations, US military units, CFARS, British and other allied countries. Scoring will be done with a spreadsheet type log. Sounds like the kind of fun I can get into and it is all outside the ham bands.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017