ad: HamHats-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - episode 60

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jul 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't ever yell into a microphone and other neat things ...

We spend an awful lot of time talking about antennas and radios and feed lines and impedance and propagation and electronics and a whole lot of subject in-between and around that.

It stuck me that one conversation that we don't have, is the one about microphones. Specifically how to actually use one.

This week in Foundations of Amateur Radio I talk about the things you should know about using the first link in the chain between your station and the DX you're chasing.

http://podcasts.itmaze.com.au/foundations/

2. VK4SDD

VK4SDD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a basic instruction in most HF transceiver user manual's regarding ALC levels and how to adjust microphone input setings to get the desired ALC levels.
    This can be taken as a basic instruction on how to use a microphone.

3. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

The size of the chasm of ignorance in amateur radio these days staggers the imagination. Maybe it's related to age:

funny-old-man-microwave-cartoon.jpeg

VK6FLAB likes this.
  4. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

This is what the Yaesu FT-857d manual has to say on the subject:
    Press the microphone’s PTT switch, and speak into the microphone in a normal voice level while watching the meter.

That's clearly not adequate for actually achieving anything that resembles proper microphone technique.

VK3HJ likes this.
  5. KB3WGE

KB3WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to love ragchewing on 40 mtrs.,every amateur band I believe (as per conditions on any given band @ any given time) qso's should be a little longer than exchanging call signs & a sig.rpt....YA GOTTA RAP A LITTLE BIT WITH UR FELLOW HAM RADIO COMPADRE.There r xceptions to the rule of course...emergency traffic (top priorty).What's better yet is actually getting to meet our radio aquatintances in person(whenever & wherever possible)I also believe that proper radio protocol,procedure & etiquiette r losing ground today in amateur radio.BE NICE GIRLS & BOYS,73's ALL.Respectfully submitted KB3WGE a.k.a. Jimi.

VK6FLAB likes this.