ad: CQMM-1

Force of Two: In Depth stories from 2 Puerto Rico volunteers on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Oct 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here, IMO, is what the ARRL should have said , in toto (my words, not theirs):

The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) is extremely proud of the work that its members have and are doing, and are still doing, to assist in the disaster relief efforts taking place from Houston to Florida to Puerto Rico to California. These are very stressful and difficult situations that require great teamwork and adaptability on the part of the people who volunteered and assist. We believe that the amateur radio operators have provided, and continue to provide, valuable and needed assistance in these emergencies and we express this great pride and thanks for their efforts.

I trust my opinion is not officious, and useful to all on this matter. The above would have recognized a number of efforts rather than one tied in with the Red Cross, for example. It would be a feel-good piece that everyone relates to and provides recognition across the board.

Alas, the original does not do so.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  2. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Again , speculative, after the fact statements or excuses. Or BS to be exact.
    After the battle everybody is a general and if there is a will there is always way.

As I told my kids when they were growing up - that is no excuse, that is copout.

BEFORE Hervey I did fill both tubs with water, put few 2 l bottles into ice box to freeze so I could maintain my insulin supply in case of power outage. .
    Replenished my 72 hours "go backpack", refilled gas tanks in both cars, refiled all 5 gallon lawnmover "jerry cans", added to my 2l drinkable water soda bottles, took few $ from bank...
    I did nothing to get my ham radio in "ready to operate" condition.

I do not need "cue from Mormons" - been living among them for few years.

On flip side - moved few of my own and somebody else "Mormon year of supplies" and LIVED from them also.
    After cooking with whole wheat plain cold hot dog is gourmet food.
    73 Shirley.

Addendum
    "Recently, ARRL officials were made aware of a situation involving a volunteer amateur radio operator who, while assisting with relief and communications efforts in Puerto Rico, reportedly did not follow the Red Cross directives. The Red Cross is currently assessing the issue and will take the appropriate steps."

I have wild guess who it is.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Please tell us who it is.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I assume you are not dissing me Shirley; What I have presented you are facts that I have gathered through my personal contacts and efforts in Puerto Rico. IF DVT was not a concern (for me at 62; volunteers should be a solution, not a potential health problem), I would be in Puerto Rico right now, and I don't mean sipping a pina colada as a Parrot Head.

You don't dispute these...

Surely not....

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Gary

I listened to your latest video, the one with the self-admitted "click bait" title, only so much to hear about the reponse statement from the ARRL. IMO, as an investigative journalist, you fumbled that attempt badly.

Instead of immediately challenging the ARRL for an "in your face" style rebuttal about what Jeremy and Mike said, you should have just asked Mike Corey for an interview about his experiences in PR. Then when you had him on camera, ask the questions that have yet to be answered. Like,

Why did he wait so long to go on site? Was he called in by the ARC, or others?

The ARRL was asked by the ARC to work for them. Did Mike and/or other ARRL volunteers in San Juan instead deviate from mission and get involved with FEMA or other agencies there. If so, why, for what specific reasons? Their own reports in ARRL News indicate that happened.

If there was a relationship on site between ARC/ARRL and FEMA or other governmental agencies like SHARES, how was it managed? Were there conflicts, bureaucratic, perceptual or real? How did that affect workers in the field?

Can he explain the obvious conflicting information released on ARRL News between first stating the ARC asked for an extension of The Force, and then abruptly ending the mission. Why was the statement made that SHARES replaced the The Force, only to be strangely retracted a week later?

An opportunity to talk to Mike may have been burned now, but be persistent, keep trying. Meanwhile why don't you instead ask Val NV9L, apparently not shy of media exposure, or others that were on site. She was frequently featured and quoted in ARRL releases. Or KP4RF who is seen prominently on other video at HQ.

Or perhaps even Bill K4XS / KH7XS who like Jeremy and Mike was in the field and is usually not at a loss for words, he may add another perspective from outside HQ.

Follow up on this topic!

73 de John - WØPV

KG7LEA likes this.
  6. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Val appears on a competing podcast. Will they pick this up?

7. W4AUE

W4AUE Ham Member QRZ Page

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Journalists and other media personalities frequently are interviewed by alternative news outlets. For example Katie Couric has been on PBS extensively, in particular with Charlie Rose on her experiences in Haiti after the earthquake.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Please:)

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The Ham Nation 323 video report is illuminating. (link below) It focuses on the group of hams that mostly operated out of the PR HQ. A lot of cheerleading, but also some revealing details.

Apparently there was a LOT of bureaucratic enmeshment between ARES hams and ARC, FEMA and other agencies, including MARS (I didn't hear any mention of other SHARES though). Plenty of glamorous photo op's around HQ.

Still no explanation for what determined and who decided to end the mission, or the awkward manner in which it was performed, ie, little involvement or notice to ARES field personnel in making the decision.

And there was LOTS of written documentation of ham ops. Note in particular at about 39:45 into the vid the DAILY SITREP's that were compiled.

That would be very useful raw information that should have been published by the ARRL instead of most of the news releases. Put those up online NOW, and in real time! (Too much transparency?)

There is also reference to other forms as well, like FEMA ICS 205. Those should be a matter of public records, ie, simply asked for or at worst a FOIA request.

73 de John - WØPV (now back to trying to bust the VK9 pile-ups)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  11. KG7LEA

We just want to know how we can do a better job.

12. KG7LEA

Pactor IV modems were available in Florida, but were not deployed.

13. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Newington would never allow it. No way to filter, redact, direct, spin, or censor on the fly and put lipstick on the facts that might slip out.

W7ASA and K9UR like this.
  14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

15. KG7LEA

I enjoyed the Hamtalklive.com webcast. Val has a good on-air presentation and colored in many details of the deployment. She answered a couple of questions I had including one asking for ways to improve volunteer screening. She suggested a pool of trained and vetted licensees who might even be formed into teams. I predict an initiative by ARRL to start something like that built around their training offerings—not a bad thing.

My own interest is how my ARES group would absorb and interact with volunteers imported by a NGO like the Red Cross. The Red Cross has figured out everything for deploying volunteers and seems like a pretty good structure for logistic support of the volunteers. The volunteers will report to the NGO as the served agency not to our local OEM as we do.

The Puerto Rico hams benefitted from the help of the ARRL Section Manager Oscar Resto KP4RF whose local knowledge was indispensable.

Another theme that comes through is that ham volunteers need to volunteers who know how to operate radios rather than just radio operators.

WB9VPG likes this.