ad: Radclub22-1

First Look and impressions of Renogy and EcoFLow foldable Solar Panels

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KG5AHJ, Sep 9, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Today i will give you a first look at the Renogy 80w and EcoFLow 60w foldable solar panels. Then i will show you want you can do if you have multiple Solar panels. MORE SOLAR POWER with Power Poles.

Frank L.

2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Good start Frank

A real deep look at solar is provided by Will Prouse, who has a DIY solar site.
    DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse - YouTube

The videos are very well made, as Will has been at this for years.

3. KG5AHJ

Thank man, i will look into that

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The looks are not so important! It's the hearing, or not hearing the RFI coming off of each units solar controller.... ..

KC8VWM and KG5AHJ like this.
  5. KG5AHJ

I use a Buddy pole mini 2 for the solar controller which is HW Quite and its SO AMAZING

K0UO likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Suggestion: Direct bury landscape lighting cable.

Why?

Because it's specifically rated and designed for outdoor DC power.
    It's not heavy to carry around. It's packable, flexible and easy to work with.
    It's already extremely rugged, durable and intended for outdoor use. The jacket wont crack, rot in the outdoors. Rated for direct bury, and tolerates temperature extremes +60 degrees C and -20C degrees below. It's abrasion resistant, UV resistant, water and chemical resistant etc.
    It's cheap and you can purchase it by the foot.
    Comes in various sizes for reducing power loss. Larger the conductor, the lower the power loss over a longer run.
    Comes in 16/2 12/2 10/2 configuration etc.
    I find 25 feet of 12/2 ideal for most portable outdoor setups. You can make DC extension cords with Anderson power plugs on both ends for longer runs.
    Accommodates Anderson power poles on both ends quite nicely. Marine grade shrink tubing will seal the Anderson connector to the cable and keep water out.

For example: Southwire 1-ft 12 / 2 Stranded Landscape Lighting Cable in the Landscape Lighting Cable department at Lowes.com

I see people hauling around all kinds of weird wires and cables cobbled together with their portable solar panels. (See 2:50 in the video:)) ...Why isn't everyone using this outdoor landscaping instead? :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Genasun charge controllers are dead quiet. They are even FCC approved. (not many are)
    There are hams involved in the engineering and design of this particular brand of charge controller.

From the Genasun website:

"Hear a pin drop.

With our FCC-rated, low EMI controllers, your radios will hear everything the first time, even while your chargers are going full speed ahead. We deliver reliable, high efficiency charging without disrupting your communications or other sensing equipment. Yes, it's really on."

Genasun – Sunforge LLC

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    K0UO likes this.
  8. N8PKN

N8PKN Ham Member QRZ Page

LOVE the Genasun solar power controllers ! I have two, never heard any rfi from either of them, DEAD QUIET , well made.