ad: Retevis-1

FCC Noncommital on Code Changes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

BULLHOCKEY, If the FCC allocates the spectrum, the "big 3" could have the radios and portable repeaters built in quantity and DHS or a new independent FEMA could administer the program The whole thing could be up and running in 3 years as long as they BAN anyone who has more than 5 years amateur radio experience from having ANYTHING to do with it. You OFs know a lot about why things CAN'T be done. GET OUT OF THE WAY, In one of my other hobbies,(actually my main hobby) there is a category of participants we call Foamers. These guys think they know it all but generally end up getting hurt, arrested or getting the REAL PROFESSIONALS totally PO'd at them and hurting the reputation of everyone else in the hobby. If I had to set up an interoperable system, I'd call in a bunch of military and NON HAM police/fire commo PROFESSIONALS and tell them to BUILD THE THING. Then I would get out of the way.

2. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

well I tell you after Reading these 2-hams post(nl7w- ag4yo) if they could make up the test to get on the hf Bands,with my education, I would not stand a chance to pass the test , its hard enought as is , and I am glad they dont make up the test, thats one good thing I have got going for me ,or I hope I have anyway,73 Bill [​IMG]

3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

AG4YO is right, 55% of the petitions filed disagreed with the proposal. Take a look here for a breakdown:

http://www.speroni.com/FCC/05-235/Nom.html

OK, so 45% say, "Yes". 55% say, "No!" So, if we don't do away with Morse code testing completely then what should we do? With the help of Mr. Speroni tallying the totals for me we find this breakdown:
    45% - Agree/No code
    31% - Disagree/Status quo
    23% - Disagree/Keep code for Extra

If you were the FCC (and ignore my rounding errors) what would you do? You can try compromise and go with keeping Morse code testing for Extra but then you have just gone contrary to 3 out of 4 of the "votes". The status quo won't work either because it is quite obvious that a large majority want some kind of reduction to the Morse code testing. But then the relative majority, nearly half, of the petitions stated that the Morse code testing should be gone for all license classes.

You can't please all the people all the time. The FCC recognized this breakdown in the petitions in the NPRM. They also pointed out what they have stated earlier about Morse code testing. Morse code testing does not show that an Amateur is more likely to follow rules and regulations. Morse code testing does nothing in determining readiness for emergency communications or technical aptitudes.

So, yes, a simple majority disagrees with the NPRM. A relative majority agree with the NPRM as is. That seems good enough for the FCC.

NL7W calls this "hogwash" and thinks it doesn't reflect the "real world". Everyone is welcome to voice their opinion, which is why there was the opportunity to petition the FCC on the topic.

There was an article on the ARRL website that puts some of the delay on a final word in perspective. It seems the executive branch of our federal government is busy rearranging deck chairs at the moment.

4. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Your answer speaks volumes, sir. I really don't need to comment, but I will, to some degree.

My answer is qualified by recent work experience:

- For the last two years, I worked for the National Law Enforcement and Corrections Technology Center system (Mar, 2006) as a Communications Project Manager -- helping federal government, state, and local public safety organizations with their communications needs. My expertise lies within linking disparate LMR systems using VoIP technology, especially via geosynchronous satcom systems and the Internet. I was hired into this role BECAUSE of my experience... Read my project's technical paper on the subject of linking disparate and remote LMR systems in an upcoming DoJ/NIJ publication.

- Active technical participant regarding the the buildout of the Alaska Land Mobile Radio system -- the first joint federal DoD and non-DoD, state, and local communications network in the United States

- Recently retired (also Mar, 2006) 21-year radio-communications NCO with Alaska Air National Guard, with twelve years of HF through microwave and satellite communications experience with the active-duty U.S. Air Force

- Cellular and wire-line carrier network engineer and consultant regarding transmission and switching systems build-out and optimization

Can you back up your words with similar expertise? By the way, I am only 40 years of age -- not really an OF or OT. I am just someone with experience and lots of hands-on hard work in the world of comms and telecom -- in the military, government, and commercial sectors.

Oh, and my interest in electronics and communications all started BECAUSE of the challenges of the (once upon a time) difficult and unpublished written and Morse code elements. If you wondered why I am a stickler for testing integrity and standards... now you know. The licensing and testing process should challenge those who want to be challenged -- those with gumption or spunk -- those who may decide to make communications or telecommunications a career some day.

What's your background, OM?

5. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

I am just someone with experience and lots of hands-on hard work in the world of comms and telecom -- in the military, government, and commercial sectors.

Oh, and my interest in electronics and communications all started BECAUSE of the challenges of the (once upon a time) difficult and unpublished written and Morse code elements. If you wondered why I am a stickler for testing integrity and standards... now you know. The licensing and testing process should challenge those who want to be challenged -- those with gumption or spunk -- those who may decide to make communications or telecommunications a career some day.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -( sir you should Be ashame of your self with the education and experience you was lucky enought to get and you wont the test to Be harder for every one and a lot of them with no education at all , I am glad you dont make the Rules we go By ,and I hope you never will Be able to help make any Rules we live By , you only care about the people on your level , any one less than you you wont to make it as hard as you can for them , instead of helping them you wont to hurt them ,if there has ever Been a hard liner you are one of them ,73 Bill

6. N2MMM

My background is that I am a radio HOBBYIST of close to 15 years of experience who has studied the code and only have to take the test to get my General Class license. I have another hobby where knowledge is well respected by prominent participants in that hobby. (I AM NOT AN IDIOT) Amateur Radio is about to be totally changed in terms of how the hobby is practiced. All of the wishful thinking of those who are scared witless of these changes will not stop them. The "Big 3" don't care, they will sell radios to whoever takes our spectrum, in fact if there is a massive refarming of spectrum, us hams will have to junk our radios and the new services which take our spectrum will have to buy all new radios. This will be good news for the "Big 3" as well as outfits like Motorola who HATE OUR GUTS. The only way to save ham radio is to UNITE the hams. Pass a WRITTEN TEST on SAFETY, OPERATING PROTOCOLS, and REGULATIONS and EARN THE PRIVILEGES. DO THE SAME ON A HIGHER LEVEL TO ADVANCE. Let the ARRL or FISTS administer a REAL code testing program with speeds up to say, 60 wpm for a Master Telegrapher and use the test results for reciprocal licensing with countries who still require a code test but NOT as a requirement for ANY class of US ham license.

7. N2MMM

Frankly, NL7W and the rest are like a bunch of little kids who don't want to share the sand box. They already know it all and think that their numbers will allow ham radio to survive. HA HA, too bad the ARRL knows BETTER and if they don't want the sand box to disappear FOREVER they better learn to play NICE. If someone can operate their radio safely and follow the rules and procedures, let them use the spectrum. Use it of LOSE IT. Then NL7W can show his abilities in a positive way by teaching us his technology and being a master telegrapher. Us ordinary hams will read his articles in QST and QEX and become better hams. Listening to his fast even fist on the air will encourage slower CW operators to bone up their fists and be better telegraphers. Keeping QUALIFIED folks out will just get you a refarming.

8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

You can try to use your creative logic all you want, but a person who requires a test to be reduced or removed for him to "qualify" is not qualified.

9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill,

All I can say is, "Study hard and reap the benefits." If you want something, you'll work for it. I have and continually do, its life in the USA.

For example, I am working an interim job along the trans-Alaska pipeline, maintaining the fiber optic telecommunications and the critical pipeline control circuits carried on this network. All the while, I am getting my public safety and telecommunications consulting business off the ground. This only comes from long hours and long days.

On the same note, it took me three full years of studying and on-the-air operation to become good enough to go from Novice to the Extra-Class license as a teen in the Eighties. Similar efforts should be required of those wanting Extra Class privileges today. The testing process should remain a challenge for those wanting to tackle and overcome such challenges.

There should be no easy way out...

Show some gumption -- do it and win.

10. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

MMM,

You think I have time for mentoring others? I have three kids ranging from 8 months to 15 years of age, as well as a full-time telecommunications job within the oil industry and a part-time consulting biz in public safety comms and commercial telecom. The League will be glad to help you...

I studied and got on-the-air on my own as a teen, going from Novice, to General, Advanced, and Extra in just over three years. Back then, the licenses were challenges -- I wish them to remain so. I remember sitting down in front of the FCC at their field office in Chicago; I remember the 20 wpm Morse test -- one of the hardest things I've ever done -- successfully.

Believe it or not, there are still some teens across the country who are tackling what's left of the licensure system... and winning.

Why don't you join them instead of whining?

11. N2MMM

I am learning. However attitudes like yours are making me doubt that ham radio has enough of a future to make it worth my time. Do me a favor, Don't take up rail museum volunteering We don't want jerks like you ANYWHERE AROUND. You FISTS folks will END ham radio. When thay do refarm, I'll buy a GMRS license and some MURS HTs and laugh at you morons.

12. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

MMM,

Jerk and moron, eh? That's sad... Did I strike a nerve? You've really made me go, "mmm..."

Call me opinionated if you want, for I will not change my mind regarding licensure standards. Apparently, a very large portion of hams won't either... could that be the reason the FCC's indecision?

Please go to GMRS and MURS, they could use your talents.

In the meantime, keep praying and waiting...

13. N2MMM

I'm just waiting for the next hamfest so I can take the test. "til then, ..._._

14. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

MMM was talking to me, and I was not offended by what he said. He was making a point, and although I might not agree, the way he did it was Ok with me. BTW, The N2MMM call sounds really cool in CW....

15. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Charlie,

N2MMM's call is a bit long, though but distinctive on CW. It should do just fine... guess I like it on code.

I can't hardly wait for the new cycle to begin; I've picked up like-new FT101ZD Mk III that I'd like to put on CW soon. I just need to order an International Radio 500 Hz filter, and it'll be loads of fun.

CU on the air?

Steve, NL7W
    Not in, but around Palmer, Alaska.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.