ad: Mountaingoat-1

FCC Noncommital on Code Changes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After watching a doofus fly a kite and narrowly miss several people at the coast a few weeks ago, I was almost ready to propose a license to fly one - complete with test in demonstrated ability.

I wouldn't because only a few people were affected, unlike Amateur Radio, which functions worldwide.

Most all licenses; auto, aviation, etc., require demonstrated ability before issuance.

2. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After watching a kite flyer almost impale several people at the beach a few weeks ago, I would almost advocate a license to fly the things, complete with in-person test.

I wouldn't, because that was a small event, unlike Amateur Radio, which is worldwide.

Ham radio is like a highway, and all states require demonstrated ability before licensing to drive.  Same with aviation.

(Why do some posts go off into cyberspace and never show up after typing them in??)

3. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

pe1Rdw-sir what it Boils down to they had to do it and you got to do it ,I am hopeing the fcc will take care of that one day, they have got to get it out for xtra to or this same stuff will Be going on years to come ,and ham Radio dont need that ,if the fcc would get it over with it would Be over in a little while, But you know how they do things here in the good old u s of A they got to drag it out, 73 good luck Bill

4. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

You may be familiar with JUMBO SIZED model trains that are big enough to ride on. The C&H Railroad is a larger example of a model railroad of this type. It is big enough to have 2 satellite stations and a larger "Base" These three locations are linked by landline Morse and C&H welcomes visiting telegraphers literate in the old American Morse Code. As an insulator collector and railroad buff, as well as a Morse code newbie, I'd love to have the acreage to build something like this.

C&H Railroad main page:
    http://www.candhrailroad.com/index.php

C&H Railroad "Telecommunications sector":
    http://www.candhrailroad.com/html/telecommunications.html

5. kd4mxe

n2mmm- sir thanks for putting this on here I will use it a little Bit it may help me me to get this mess, 73 and thanks Bill-------------------------------------------------------- http://www.candhrailroad.com/html/telecommunications.html

6. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

All:

I own this statement: "Removing the Morse code testing requirement does harm to the Amateur Service."

Why do you ask?

For three reasons:

1. The simple 5 wpm Morse code exam DEMONSTRATES A SKILL; it demonstrates a rudimentary proficiency that required some amount of time, effort, and patience to obtain. The Morse exam is the last skill demonstrated under the current U.S. Amateur Radio testing program.

2. Those who have the gumption to learn this time-tested skill have proved their mettle, and are welcome by those who have gone before them.

3. TRADITION. Definition: 1. The passing down of elements of a culture from generation to generation. 2. A set of customs and usages viewed as a coherent body of precedents influencing the present.

That was short and sweet...

Now, what skill does passing public domain and published multiple-choice tests demonstrate? Could it possibly be a skill to memorize? These public knowledge written tests certainly don't require an individual to demonstrate knowledge or comprehension.

These are the reasons why so many "old school" or conservative hams wish to maintain licensure INTEGRITY.

I you don't like CW testing element, propose a supplanting radio communications related skill that can be demonstrated for and graded by an examiner.

Regarding the NCT testing process, these licensees have not demonstrated (to me) they possess an amateur radio related skill. Therefore, I would like to refer to them as NSTs - No Skill Technicians.

73 de NL7W
    Now a twenty-five year ham at age 40.

7. KE5HTG

KE5HTG Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree!!!!!!!! Demonstrate your ability. I took the no code Tech test and passed it as you can read. I had all the knowledge except for RF Safety. After studying RF safety I had no trouble passing it. I would have become a HAM a long time ago if someone would have offered to help me learn code. I taught myself computer repair and feel that I can do anything I set my mind to. I agree that the test should show your knowledge with the test and I don't mean code. Identify parts laid out on a chart, solder a connection, identify electrical symbols use and read a multimeter. Where do you want the Tech to start at??? Extra?[​IMG] General??? How much is enough profeciency to satisfy you and everyone else. Being a ham is not just knowing code but having knowledge and being able to advance the hobby. Why are all of you whinning like spoiled children? I am one who doen't want to just know the answer, I am a why person. I still agree with you, but you have done nothing but whine and have not suggested what the test should consist of. So go whip the tears from your eyes and grow up. [​IMG]

8. kd4mxe

ke5htg-  I am one who doen't want to just know the answer, I am a why person.  I still agree with you, but you have done nothing but whine and have not suggested what the test should consist of.  So go whip the tears from your eyes and grow up. :(----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sir this whineing has Been going on  for a long time, it started Back when they first dropped the code speed down ( Read qst it will tell you go Back a few years to get the Right qst Book ) I have one myself the year I cant Remember, But its there, and the answer is plain and simple I had to do it you got to do it , and if you can get in there without doing it that makes them mad , and the fcc has got to get Rid of it  for xtra to or they will go on whineing for years to come , they cant stand change you will see this  as time gose on , 73 Bill [​IMG]

9. kd4mxe

nl7w- 2. Those who have the gumption to learn this time-tested skill have proved their mettle, and are welcome by those who have gone before them ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------this is why the no code tec has a Bad name now these winers did not welcome them ,73 Bill [​IMG]

10. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

C'est la vie. Not really...

I'm on 2 meters just about every evening with many NCTs, I mean, NSTs. I am hospitable and friendly; I have not shut them out. When in the Palmer or Wasilla, Alaska area, find me on FM simplex at 146.490 MHz.

By the way, where did you learn how to write and spell? Can you form a complete thought or sentence that's spelled correctly? Maybe ham radio should include a 30 wpm typing and spelling test. What gives?

11. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

What a piece of work.

Joe

12. PE1RDW

PE1RDW Ham Member QRZ Page

NL7W: I guess you would prefer the belgium and british foundation licence to the usa tech licence, it is low in theoretical knowhow but it does require a practical demonstration by the applicant, becouse of the low theoretical knowlidge the foundation licence holders can't homebuild or modifie transievers and are limited to 10 watts on HF but at least they have some HF access without CW testing (just showing that they know how CW works).

13. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Eureka!

Now that I've thought long and hard about your email (about 15 seconds), I really and truly believe a 30 wpm typing, spelling, and language skills mastery test is in order. For we all know the Digital Elite and the ARRL believe that only the computer related digital modes can save Amateur Radio. Is there a better way to test our "emergency" communications abilities than to test our spelling, language, and computer typing skills?

Heck, a computer -- removing human error from the grading process, could thoroughly, accurately, and objectively grade the combined test.

Three cheers for personal computers and the digital realm!

Yehaaaaaa!

14. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's just give EVERYONE a chance to access the lovely and desirable HF bands. Let's substitute the 5-wpm Morse code test with a 30-wpm typing, American language, and spelling test. This would satisfy my gumption requirement.

Additionally, let's keep the written test requirements as they are, where one can pass by memorizing the multiple choice question pools with little understanding of the material covered within them. For just how much knowledge is needed to operate a modern HF/VHF/UHF radio of today -- a radio that is essentially a computer with an RF front-end attached? Hook a computer to it and type at 30 wpm and you'll do just fine.

Oh, what a hobby... You've gotta love it!

15. kd4mxe

nl7w-By the way, where did you learn how to write and spell? Can you form a complete thought or sentence that's spelled correctly? Maybe ham radio should include a 30 wpm typing and spelling test. What gives?

73.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------well sir Back in my time I did not get to go to school my dad died when I was 9 years old I had to stay out of school to plow a mule to finish a crop that was already planted , I did go enought to Read a little and count a little and that was 55 years ago I made it to the 7th grade and did not get to go Back , and my education is not good I will tell you that , and I know its not as good as yours I guess , But sir I do the Best I can , and you did get the point , If you did not get it then let me know and I will try one more time ,to put it where you can understand it ,73 Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.