Fan Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W8JBM

W8JBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Callum from DX Commander has been doing this for years. He offers a well made product spanning many bands, but let me let you in on something; he tells you how to do it and encourages you to dive into the world of experimentation with antennas. If you don't know who this guy is, you are just reading dusty old handbooks. Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEWRZEIjVQB8aUkyUQ-g-zA

NH7RO likes this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip, you mean something other then the persistent Barker & Williamson folded dipole? Still finding a niche today!

At 11 y/o my personal fav was the JOYSTICK, marketed in QST by Partridge Electronics back then. Dreamed of a phased array of 'em :eek:

[​IMG]

3. K2SDS

K2SDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not.

4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I built a fan ground plane for three bands (later added a fourth band after rebuilding it due to hurricane damage) that "works" just fine*. It has become my standard "go-to" antenna 90% of the time I operate the bands it is intended for.

See my extensive build thread here:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/15-17-20m-fan-vertical-guidance.560123/

Lots of photos are included and since it was designed for stealth it might be hard to see in some of the "as installed" shots. :D

*Perpetual reminder: Everything "works;" the question that should always be asked is "How well?"

Great to see the subject of fan verticals come up here, but too bad the OP failed to include a proper vertical fan graphic and chose a horizontal fan instead.

While I've only just begun reading this thread and don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but AJ6O has a beautiful ground-mounted two-band fan (20/40m) displayed on his QRZ page if anyone is interested. It's a lot easier to see than my stealthy elevated version.

Callum, M0MCX has come up with a brilliant multiband fan Marconi that he markets commercially as well---simply search "DX Commander" and his highly entertaining YouTube videos will surface.

Jeff, NH7RO

A big fan of fans (both horizontal and vertical)

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh wow...the JOYSTICK!

"I worked the world from my closet"...yep I remember those ads!

There was some other company that did a fan dipole; anyway, not worth going back ;-)

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool!

But....does he drill holes in his HANDS?

WD3N and NH7RO like this.
  7. W8JBM

W8JBM Ham Member QRZ Page

So many, the man is a human sieve!

WD3N and WR2E like this.
  8. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

If a chart such as this was included in the lead post it might have not spurred such a deluge of relatively needless horizontal fan dipole comments.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

But the wind load is LOW!

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't it about time for Onno's defense lawyer to chime in here?

NH7RO likes this.