ad: Schulman-1

EU Threatens to Destroy Radio Spectrum - Petition Against!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G7CNF, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont see how "communication" is a problem. Thats the motivation.

If, in the US, you get interference on frequencies allotted to Part 97' then make the case and shut it down. There is no case made in this alarmist propaganda piece.

Just FEAR FACTOR.

Chip W1YW

2. G1HJW

G1HJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well profit or not these devices do cause a lot of QRM to HF and in some cases MW Radio also I have had problems myself when a Neighbour's ISP BT Internet, decided to plug 2 of these in to get a computer link into another room and used these and not WiFi one day my noise level just normal on 20m its around s 3 and on 40M S 4 is a normal noise level when on a quite part of bands, That had gone up to S 9 Plus nearly over the full HF band even into the MW it only died down when on top end of 10M soon worked out were the problem was and talked to my Neighbour pined the problem down by having them switched off and problem went away, we talked to BT-internet who would only act if OFCOM told them to so contacted OFCOM and with the help of OFCOM the UK version of FCC, the problem was solved by switching to Wifi, but am just waiting for someone else to get a pair, But anyway I be moving to DU land soon so maybe I will be ok till I go... So But yes I have had the same problem and its a real pain, and it will only get worse, even if the EU bring in better spec's there are many coming in via Ebay that are not filtered or notched and there going into not only the UK, but finding there way into the USA, Australia and EU, nothing to do with profit though strange as it seems obviously people make money selling them, but its more to do with the easy connection you can make without any leads and little in way of set up, Just so happens there mostly on HF and radiate a lot of noise, I say manily on HF as there are plans to bring out VHF versions on and around 49mhz/50mhz and 70cm's.... Thats facts Tony G1HJW

3. G4SKO

G4SKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Shame on you Chip, you should know better and perhaps you ought to research the problem now it's been brought to your attention. This is not an anti profit issue, it's an issue about pollution and pollution deliberately caused and well understood. Where is the difference between polluting the radio spectrum and polluting the air that we breathe. Mains wiring circuits are the last environment you would want to inject RF into, (I'll let you do the reading as to why that is so) but I'm sure you must already be aware of the reasons. Let's put it into context tho. Do we still believe that a river is a suitable conduit for effluent from industry? disseminating chemicals or say heavy metals into the environment, I don't think so. Where's the difference Chip?

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Tony,

Afar more accurate analysis.

You hit the nail on the head with these sloppy emitters and that problem does loom large. The point is those rf emitters arent supposed to do such damage, and its not as if thry have been legislated into scceptability. Fear factor and petitions
    arent the answer: stopping importation is, among others.

73 Chip W1YW

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Shame on you for seeking objects for a stoning. Onbviously I am very informed on these matters. Has it occurred to you that some people try to solve problems without trying to start a riot? Or using silly, alarmist, hyperbolic analogies?

Chip W1YW

6. WB3HBX

WB3HBX Ham Member QRZ Page

I happen to know a ham that worked for Motorola for about 40 years. He is very aware of this technology and petitioned the FCC natural route in the United States. In the same way that in big cities they have ordinances against certain lighting fixtures at night that radiate light pollution into the sky, we have the same thing in the form of RF pollution all around us. We do not need Internet over the electric lines, period.

7. G4SKO

Well said and maybe common sense will prevail but we as radio hobbyists should be united in our stand. Many of us have lobbied Governments and those with vested interests, there are still doubters of course and maybe they will be convinced when the problem is on their doorstep, that may also be too late. The RF spectrum is a natural resource and we should not be ignorant to this threat or any other for that matter.

8. G4SKO

I have just come up with a great idea. Why don't we install a multi-element antenna system in just about every household on the planet and make it resonant on much of the RF spectrum. Now! and here's the genius part, let's equip say 20% of these households with a wide-band transmitter. What could possibly go wrong?

9. NO20CALLSIG

NO20CALLSIG Guest

what a language that frustrated man is using , just hopeless his useless and arrogant comments

vy 73`s de DM2LI

10. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Forget profit and arguments either way. The fact is we are licensed to use lawfully-granted bands, and have a right to bands free of interference from those who are not licensed to use those bands. PLT/As are being allowed to, in effect, breach the laws laid down in our favour, because of weak legislation, lack of enforcement and, yes, the kind of worldview that sees business as more important than anything else - at all.

PLT/As can operated reasonably alongside the ham bands. But their makers want more. We would all like more of something, it's just that laws are made to curtail the human tendency to excess and the interruption of others' rights. In that sense, if PLT makers want to 'boost' their power or bandwidth, then they have to come up with lawful means of doing so that do not breach international laws on non-interference. The problem is, doing that would mean more expense, so the PLT lobby just decides to push their luck - usually getting away with it.

It's really disheartening to come across actual operators of amateur radio seeming to imply on here that interference with the bands is somehow acceptable. If you follow that line of reasoning to its logical conclusion, we end-up with an EMC free-for-all, and a trashing of a century of telecoms legislation.

But then, the US is the land of taking an assault rifle into a cafe, then sticking finger to lip when said assault rifles end up killing kids...

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...and EU is the enchanted land that brought you propaganda, Nazis, and mass annihilation of people who just don't think the same as as those in charge... BTW the book 1984 was written by a Brit, not an American. Lord of the Flies--absolutely applicable here--was written by Brit, not an American. To wit:

"Kill the (ham)
    Spill his blood
    Do him in!"

OK, stop proving my point. Propaganda and fear don't solve your problem; trying to shape me into the very opposite of who I am doesn't solve your problem; stating that this BPL new technology is threatening to destroy the RF spectrum... in the name of profit doesn't solve your problem; petitioning against something you have not documented isn't going to solve your problem.

Documenting the problem, should it exist is how you solve the problem. For starters. SHOW THE PROBLEM.

I am STILL looking for the facts that compel you and me to sign that petition, especially since we have the extraordinary claim that EU THREATENS TO DESTROY RF SPECTRUM. Wow! Wordlwide, DC to Daylight impact!!

Incidentally I am very active on HF. I sniff out 'incidental radiators' all the time with a handheld Anritsu spectrum analyzer. I hate interference. I hate those damn radars that you Euros run on 20 meters, 30 meters, 12 meters, and so on. Is it okay to interfere with licensed services? Nope. Is it okay to CLAIM that such interference happens? Nope. You've got to show it.

Show it. Stop Whining.

I don't own a gun. Don't need it. But I am a sharpshooter and would not hesitate to own and use one should I perceive the need.

Frankly, there's nothing quite like going to a shooting gallery in Vegas, renting a gun, and blasting that target into smithereens. Sure beats Java cakes and clotted cream for an afternoon break.

Yep. I am proud of America!

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  12. AC0TT

AC0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Double "likes"

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

English is jes ham jammin'

Yowsah!

Chip W1YW

14. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a TROLL here?

15. G4SKO

You said something in one of your earlier posts about hyperbole; give me a break. Your post here even borders on racism, maybe that gives us a measure of the man. The problem of PLT and similar technology is well documented and I was tempted to supply you with numerous links to informed reading and research but you really don't have to look too hard to find them, besides you'd probably choose to not read them or discount the evidence. "clotted cream for afternoon tea" you certainly have a quaint and vastly outdated view of modern British life. Anyway, enough about you. I do urge interested individuals to take this threat seriously as it has the potential to ruin our great hobby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.