ad: Radclub22-1

Episode 29 - 100 Watts and a Wire Podcast Available

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WY7YL, Feb 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK6GUN

KK6GUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes this is a look inside the future of amateur radio. It's positive, it isn't stifled and the group really is what's right with ham radio. While the content may not be overly technical at this point, the 100waaw group is an asset to be sure .

Perhaps you should go back quiet if it's not for you. It's the big knob......

KK4CJ, KF5RHI, KI9W and 1 other person like this.
  2. N4BRJ

N4BRJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's an informal, freeform, flow-of-conciousness discussion thats been sorely needed for a long time. Whether you've been a long time in the hobby or just starting out there's something for everyone. I would also encourage anyone interested to join the FaceBook group "100 Watts and a Wire" and join the discussion.

KI9W and WY7YL like this.
  3. KM4PXW

KM4PXW Ham Member QRZ Page

100waaw is my favorite ham radio podcast. I love how it is fun, laid back and even has some tech stuff and interviews put in it

KK4CJ, KF5BET, KI9W and 1 other person like this.
  4. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Christian and Katie have something going that reminds us that there's more to amateur radio than just circuit diagrams, antenna design, signal exchanges, smith charts, etc. Not that those things are bad - if that kind of thing floats your boat, there are loads of other podcasts, YouTube videos, articles, etc to listen to and/or watch... And if there isn't one that you like, MAKE YOUR OWN; you're pretty likely to find some like-mined folks to follow along - that's the beauty of Amateur Radio: there's something for everyone and if you don't like something, it's super easy to find something that you just may like or you can create something new. It's like having the ultimate poetic license.

At the end of the day, there are people on both ends of a QSO. And it can be more than just a friendly rag chew about the weather (*cough*Katie*cough*), the latest Icom IC-Eleventy-Billion that you're using, or the zillion foot StepIR in the back yard. For me, I like the podcast because it's listening to just the day-to-day "stuff" of a relatively new ham who thinks about more than Amateur Radio going on a journey including family, friends, humor, and ah-ha moments about not just radio but life in general... Last time I checked, the Amateur Code included a part about being "balanced" - what's more balanced than hearing about the limitations of operating time due to family (not a bad thing) and just plain listening to a couple folks share a common bond and an easy banter.

Hey, if it isn't your cup of tea, do what I said above - find another podcast/video, etc or create your own. Nobody is holding a gun to your head demanding that you listen or else. Just like I am not a big net person so I avoid most of the phone segment of 40 meters or I spin the dial until I find something I do like - complaining about it is like QRM'ing an on-air net because you don't like the content (I believe someone made that point earlier and it's a good one). If you wouldn't do it on the air (and I really hope you wouldn't), why do it here? Spin the "big dial" on the air and in life in general. Don't be a whiner. One thing most of us have in common is that nobody likes a whiner.

WA5AZQ, KF5RHI, KI9W and 3 others like this.
  5. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

Always a good show....

KF5RHI and WY7YL like this.
  6. W4MAL

W4MAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

100waaw podcast and facebook group to me is a very refreshing and entertaining asset to our hobby. It has a lot to offer to newbies and old timers as well. I don't get why people just can't spin the dial if they don't like something. Keep up the good work Christian and Katie ! 73 de W4MAL

KK4CJ, WY7YL and WA5AZQ like this.
  7. WD9GCO

WD9GCO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just like everything about ham radio doesn't have to be super-technical, neither does this podcast. It's like ragchewing. Sometimes, you just talk about the goofy thing your cat did, sometimes you talk about neutralizing the finals after replacing the tubes or why the 147-element, 10-band yagi you just designed is having SWR problems.

100WAAW is a casual family. With few exceptions, most of us are do not have your attitude and think of it as a fun, global ham radio club. We help others when they have questions, even if we think the question might be really obvious - to that person, it's not. And the dynamic between Christian and Katie on the podcast is something I find fun. The dynamic between most of the members is something I find fun. And they've created something pretty special that a lot of people seem to enjoy.

You don't, and that's OK. But there's no need to slam Katie in this forum. Why go out of your way to do that?

And N0IRS? Here's the thing. It's free. And you have to actually go download it or subscribe. Nobody is forcing it into your computer or phone, and you have no monetary investment. So, if it really offends you, how about just DON'T LISTEN.

Or, another option - buy your own equipment and hosting and start your own podcast that lives up to your standards.

Peace.

WD9GCO 100WAAW #141

KK4CJ, WY7YL and WA5AZQ like this.
  8. WB5ORT

WB5ORT Ham Member QRZ Page

What a great sub community of Amateur Radio Christian and Katie have created. Starting with a Pod Cast, growing a Facebook presence for sharing ideas and experiences and on the air operating have made this a great community.

It's a non-threatening place new and old hams can go to ask questions and get answers and viewpoints of new parts of the hobby they are discovering. The sharing of experience is is one of the biggest things I like about the community.

I enjoy my time being a part of this great movement.

Ed...
    WB5ORT
    Ole' Rotten Tomatos ;o)

WD9GCO and WY7YL like this.
  9. N7CPM

N7CPM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys are doing such a great job with this show, I always look forward to it each week. Keep up the good work! 73!

10. AB1DQ

AB1DQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

100WAAW is fresh and fun, I'm a big fan of the podcast and look forward to the activity days!
    Thanks Christian and Katie for creating a friendly forum for noobs and not-so-noobs alike!
    73 de AB1DQ/James

11. K6WDE

K6WDE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Enjoy the shows, laid back and informative. I appreciate the style and organization. No question too trivial on the podcast and on the website.

Looking forward to the February 20-21 "contest" hangout!

I hope to activate NPOTA NP29 -- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park in the near future, listen for me!
    Dave, K6WDE/KH6
    100WAAW #139

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    KK4CJ, WD9GCO, WY7YL and 1 other person like this.
  12. N0ECK

N0ECK Ham Member QRZ Page

And Christian doesn't delete my videos when I post them to the Facebook group (unlike other shows that make it to the front page of QRZ). There's room for everyone!
    Seriously, it's in my top 3 ham radio podcasts.
    73!
    N0ECK
    www.youtube.com/resistancehams

AB1DQ, WD9GCO and WY7YL like this.
  13. AC5Q

AC5Q Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham Radio is a big house for everyone. If the podcast is not for you, move on. There are many rooms in this big house. I LIKE it. I like the Gatherings. They have been great fun and great pains at times. That is how it is. The opportunity for all of us to interact in our hobby is what makes it so great. Thanks Christian and Katey for all you do. KA0JJR

WD9GCO, WY7YL, WC3T and 1 other person like this.
  14. WA5AZQ

WA5AZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a new(er) ham.
    I love ham radio podcasts, videos, shows, articles, websites, newsletters, etc. Anything I can get my hands on.
    I'm a sponge. Running around wanting to soak up EVERYTHING I can about the hobby no matter what it is and whether I have a complete understanding of it yet or not.
    I haven't been in the super-technical side of electronics since the dawn of dirt. So I'd like a little help when I get stuck while experimenting.

I. Just. Want. To. Learn.

That's why I listen. Not all the parts of 100WAAW or any other program relating to the hobby is not always 100% of interest to me, I still enjoy them ALL!

"Free your mind...the rest will follow." <---I think these are the song quotes.
    "Free your mind...don't be so shallow!"

That's my take.

PS: The 100WAAW FB page is AWESOME! So many nice folks willing to give advice in a nice way and not be condescending because of their license class or their time in the hobby (like I've run into at some other places).
    I can imagine newbie questions get old after the 10,000 newbie that asks the same question. So thanks to those that are understanding.

Keep up the good work Christian & Katey!

73!
    Michael
    WA5AZQ
    100WAAW #310

KK4CJ, WD9GCO, WY7YL and 1 other person like this.
  15. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Chiming in here. True confessions: I subscribed to the podcast on Stitcher, listened to half an ep and that was all I could take.

I hasten to add that this is nothing against 100WAAW at all, it's just that podcasts aren't my cup of tea. I'm slightly ADD and I can't find time to sit and thoughtfully listen; I'm always distracted by something else.

Does that give me the right to diss what they do? I don't think so. We have the Facebook page for those non-audio hams to participate and enrich everyone's ham radio experience. We have the nets, when the propagation gods smile upon us. We have all kinds of great things in the works from Christian and Katie and my challenge to IRS is that if you don't think that this ham radio infotainment channel meets your high standards, then step up and create something better. That's what hams do. They find something wrong, they fix it or make something better. They don't kvetch and moan about the Way Things Are. If that's all you want to do, then spin the dial or go click on something else that is more to your liking.

Christian and Katie, keep doing what you're doing.

sk
    dit dit

WD9GCO, WY7YL and N2ADV like this.