ad: elecraft

"Dying Hobby Saves the Day Again!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB9REE, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AE2NY

AE2NY QRZ Member QRZ Page

You know it's interesting how just a handful of people can say it isn't a hobby.

I've been licensed since March 2004 and I know that isn't a long time. Alot of OM's are very angry at me personally because it's so easy to get licensed nowadays as compared to 40 - 50 years ago. I've even had a few people so angry they tell me I don't belong on the airwaves. But I look at it this way...

When I was taking my CERT Training, there was a Ham in my class. He had his dualband HT with him one night and I asked him about it. he told me about Amateur Radio which immediately sparked my interest in the hobby.

Now there are 5 aspects or "facets" to Ham Radio if you will, and one of them is Public Service. But to me, that 20% allocated if you will, to public service, is the most important. My view is that if we cease looking at Ham Radio as a hobby, it stops being fun, and that my fellow hams, is what's going to kill the hobby altogether.

Those who were licensed 40 - 50 years ago and earlier are dying out. We hear alot more nowadays about people becoming SK's. We've got to promote the FUN aspect of Amateur Radio if we're going to attract the younger crowd such as myself at 32 years old. My XYL is even studying to get HER license.

Now I am badged with ARES, am a Shelter Communicator, Emergency Coordinator for Merritt Island, FL and a Skywarn Weather Spotter for Brevard County, FL (#4387). That's my public service. I'm also a CERT Trainer. My fun part? Experimental Mods that I'm having an absolute blast with.

There is fun to be had in Amateur Radio. Do people build Heath Kits anymore? Sure they do, just not as often. There's a guy I met on Sanibel Island here in FL who is 81 years old and was licensed when he was 11 years old. He still has all the radios and CW machines he built tube by tube, circuit by circuit from all those years ago. THAT is when it was a hobby. And it can become one again, as long as the right outlook is applied.

Anthony - KI4VPR

2. KB7RKY

KB7RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

I, too, was caught in that storm. Fortunately, I had my FT-817, a portable beam, and weather-spotter experience (my weather spotter ID is Nez Perce 4H, Lewiston, ID) to report the storm's progress through Clark County, IN, to the Weather Service in Louisville, KY, that day.

It was not something that the faint-of-heart should attempt to undertake, let alone the naysayers who say ham radio is a dying hobby. Let them have their cellphones and computers, but when the power goes out, and you can't get your precious e-mails or get an outside line from the powerless cell site, just remember that there are those of us who actively participate in this "dying hobby" who keep the lines of communication open all the time with our handhelds, multiple frequency/band radios, and emergency-powered stations.

Doug, KB7RKY (operated portable 9 during the Tuesday night, 7/13/04, storm in Clark County, IN)

3. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Doug:  Well said.  You and many others have some great stories to tell.  However, this audience isn't the right one.......

Your congressional representatives, senators and, yes, even our dear President should hear of the value of amateur radio during emergencies.  (If he understood the scope of what you've said maybe BPL wouldn't be such a priority).

BTW, cell sites have batteries and generator power.  That isn't the main problem.  Its that when all those cell phones attempt to make calls, guess what? No dial tone.  Just like normal wireline phones, the capacity is not based on all lines being off-hook at once.  Only a small percentage at one time.  I really get frustrated when I think of trunked radio, used by our public safety agencies, that uses the same, cellular-like concept.  Thats why all trunked mobiles still have some simplex channels......in case their systems jam-up.  But, then again, simplex frequencies are for car to car or car to base communication.  Not very far at 800 or 900 MHz.

And thanks for your service.

Lee
    W6EM
    Bradenton, FL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.