ad: QSLWorks-1

Do you have a plan to become Silent Key?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KH6OWL, Oct 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously she took the bait.;-)

What's ur secret, OM:)?

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have made prudent preparations for the inevitable. But I certainly have no immediate plans to become a Silent Key!

3. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham is not an acronym and "sale" is not a verb.

I read that far and decided to call it quits. I wish that those who go to the trouble of writing an article would go a tiny bit further and proofread before hitting the "Post Reply" or Create New Thread" button. It can make all the difference in the end product.

The basic premise of the article is a good one, though and something that I think about now that I have retired and the years whoosh by almost as fast as radio waves.

WG7X likes this.
  4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. They watch ebay & Craigslist. How do I know? A local relatively new NCE ham does that. He knows enough to disassemble good units into modules to maximize profit. For units that need work, he elicits free help of those who know electronic repair. The last score he made was the 1x2 callsign of a respected SK.

My recommendation: sell or give the stuff to someone who'll USE it.

W7UUU likes this.
  5. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Parkes_Shuttle-ISS.jpg

I am leaving my little dish to my local middle school's amateur radio club ...

[​IMG]

6. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

What about ham radio infrastructure you have on the air? Repeaters, digipeaters, WL2K RMS stations, etc?

As for the rest of it, from what I have seen lately, I am going to pick two friends, and the list will update as they pass, move away, etc., to sell off my equipment upon my demise. No low balling, no donations to a local club.

7. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Took care of all of this. Radios. Guitars. Computers. They all have a home. Documented all the domains/passwords/network configs. All encryption keys/certs held by attorney.

No probate. No hassle. No mess. No worries.

When I'm dead- the only thing that changes is that I'm gone. That will be bad enough for the people who love me. No reason to add additional hassles.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeez...guitars...

I put Guitar Center to shame. Been selling off a 50 year collection.

Does that mean I am about to croak:)?

RIBIT! I mean...NAH!

For me the issue is a huge catalog of intellectual property. Some clearly 'ahead of its time'. That's why I have a young lawyer . Get one if you have a legacy.

Chip W1YW

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be Parkes...

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Loved your story on your dad! "We weren't installing them..." Hah!

Betcha you got an even better one:)

Chip W1YW

KD8TUT likes this.
  11. KD8TUT

Gosh I hope not.

In 1990 when I still worked as a musician I had 22 guitars. I've got three today, two nice acoustics (Taylor/Yamaha APX) and a Charvel Model 5. Sold off the others when my career changed to "Systems Engineer".

But those three are special to me and were my favorites.

12. KD8TUT

Thanks Chip...

Yea there's a few floating around ;)

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

IMG_1572.JPG
    Drool!

Here's my fave of the 50....should I donate it to the Clubster's Club at Harvard for warm and fuzzies:)?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    KD8TUT likes this.
  14. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I could help you with that-----

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

15. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I have a question-- did you forget me?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo