ad: Radclub22-1

Direwolf Introduction for Packet Radio

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KN4MKB, Mar 27, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KN4MKB

KN4MKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a long one, but I wanted to break down everything so even those new to packet radio could understand what is going on.

I think it's also important to understand the configuration so that we can adjust it if needed later on.
    This is the foundation for everything else we will do packet on this channel.

The installation section covers the install on Linux and Windows.
    After that, we go into the direwolf.conf file and configure sound devices, as well at PTT.

We enable the new FX25 for forward error correction. And then apply some tweaks and optimizations to get you started. Last, we go through troubleshooting various issues you may have.

After this video, you will have a good working TNC that we will use later for APRS, BBS, and TCP/IP over AX25.
    For the write-up and the commands used, check out my blog post here:

https://themodernham.com/ultimate-direwolf-tnc-installation-guide-for-windows-and-linux/

2. VK5KKS

VK5KKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, it's a lot easier just to use my PK87 packet TNC :p however, packet in my town is non-existent. :( Was great back in the 80s though!

3. KN4MKB

KN4MKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, it could have been simpler probably, but I wanted to explain everything.
    I think it's making a come back. There's been a lot of new interest. You might see some nodes spring up over the next few months.