ad: HamHats-1

Digital Mode JS8 real time translation in foreign language!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Dec 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WE9M

WE9M Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard the -24db and able to decode. Maybe in a lab or in the imaginary world of pure mathematics but in the real world? I doubt it. Even on ft8 I have had QSOs in the -21 range and it was a lot of back and forth to trade the info. Could you imagine having a QSO at that level? It would be 45 min of back and forth before you were able to get first names. Im my experience -15db is about as low as you can go and have a QSO that is worth it. at -15 you can still reliably decode through a fade to -18db.

Who knows it could be my setup and someone will chime in and say that they do it all the time in the -20db and below range but I would say personally -15db is really where its at.

2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "I have heard the -24db and able to decode. Maybe in a lab or in the imaginary world of pure mathematics but in the real world?"

What do you see when running FT8? JS8 uses same basic coding scheme, so ...

I'm getting -30 dB SNR decodes on WSPR with new Ver 2.0 WSJT suite and the improved decoder. FT8 (and JS8) always run 'worse' than that. But again FT8 - JS8 same basic coding scheme. What changes are what the bits mean, are 'interpreted' as.

3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What I want to know is: Does Google translate offer a female to male translation service?

Some one would make a million bucks with that one!

PA0MHS likes this.
  4. WE9M

WE9M Ham Member QRZ Page

For me it goes like this on ft8
    W1WS KG5SPR EM21 (about 3-5 times)
    Then they reply with -20 or what not and then I send the following
    W1WS KG5SPR -21 (3-5 times)
    And so on...

Now in js8 can you imagine sending

UR -09 QTH GREENFIELD, IN OP BRAD

Actually I just tried and my signal was -20 to the other station and on the second try all he was able to decode was GREENFIELD. I wouldn't be suprised that if I hot wired the sound card output to the input and lowered the output to -24 that it could decoded all day long, but over the air I haven't been able to do that in a way that would support a conversation. To many variables to be reliable at that level.

If a ft8 QSO takes 3-5 retries thats a what 3 min qso. Not bad so you struggle through it to get it. Now a js8 transmission that takes 3-5 retries is rough to say the least and you end up with a short ft8 like QSO anyway. JS8 just requires more reliability because of its use case then ft8 does. Not a flaw or anything just the difference between a conversation type contact and a minimum contact.

W7UUU likes this.
  5. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

How is this REAL TIME? It appears to require a little manipulation of text to copy and paste into translators to make this work.

NN4RH likes this.
  6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If JS8 eventually goes over to the dark side of macros and brag files, as have other "popular" data modes over the past 20 years, then it could be real-time in any language.

7. KU4GW/SK2023

KU4GW/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

What I'd like to know is how JS8 is "highly disruptive"? I've been using JS8 since the first release and have yet to see it be disruptive to anything.

8. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

May I suppose that pretty every serious operator is able to perform some standard QSO using English (OK, let’s say engRish) or some kind of Spanish? There are some fifty words to understand. ;) No hay ningún problema decir y comprender “¡Hola! Tu señal reporte es cinco nueve, cambio” para un gente no hispanohablante. :)

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Why bother with translation if the computer is making the contact?:rolleyes:

Oooops...sorry, wrong thread.:D

UT7UX likes this.
  10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think he was only alluding to the over-used 1990s jargon "disruptive technology", meaning, basically, something new that rapidly displaces or replaces traditional ways of doing things. That is, not "disruptive" in the sense of interfering with other modes.

KU4GW/SK2023 likes this.
  11. KU4GW/SK2023

KU4GW/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Ron! Very 73!

12. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

An advertisement in QST and CQ (They need the money) would be appropriate. Tooting your own horn here on the Zed is not. As the old sage once said; "The Meek Shall Inherit The Earth." and "Pride Goeth Before The Fall."

Dr. Joe Taylor's and Steve Franke's NEW modes were GROUNDBREAKING. You are just hitch hiking on their coat tails. They invited the new modes, you just wrote a software program.If Dr. Taylor and Mr. Franke had not allowed their new mode to be used open source. You would have nothing at all because you don't have the wherewithal to invent the communications protocols needed to make the modes work.

Tooting the horn and composing the music are not one and the same.

John
    K4AGO

13. K4AGO

Yes, we get the idea...

More click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click .

Earth Shattering... Ground Breaking... Disruptive... NOT A CHANCE !

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  14. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you out of order today? (To a rational man, it would seem to be the only logical conclusion.)

K3SZ likes this.
  15. K4AGO

What do you consider inexpensive? I bought a New FT 450D (2 months old) the other day for $450. I consider that inexpensive. You may not.I needed it like I need another Vibroplex Bug. But it was just too inexpensive to turn down.

The ham that sold it to me New and unused in the box bought it in anticipation of getting his General ticket. aHe paid around $700.00 for the radio. Unfortunately, he passed two practice exams but failed the actual VE exam, TWICE.

He tooted his horn telling everyone at the club; "I WILL ACE THE GENERAL! IF I DON'T, ONE OF YOU CAN HAVE MY FT450D FOR HALF PRICE!"

He failed the exam. I had the cash and even gave him $100 dollars more than he was asking. None of the other guys had the money.

Lessons to be learned:
    1- Never toot your own horn
    2- Never make rash statements about what you will and won't do.
    3- Keep enough emergency money in your wallet to take advantage of the rash statements made by those who toot their own horn.

I told the guy he could buy the radio back if he passed the General in the next two months. His response was of a sexual nature and can't be repeated here. But the last part of his response was ".... You couldn't give the %&#@ing thing back to me."

Bargains are everywhere. Just beware of eBAY.

John K4AGO