ad: AbAuRe-1

Development to continue on HRD....

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
  1. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HRD is a great program and I already donate $50 a year to them. I never donate to shareware/freeware, but this program is really great, has been bug free for the features I use and I use it daily.

Way to go Simon!!!! $$$$$$

2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I thought it might be. I knew about the LGPL.

I haven't checked the licenses of the libraries but this page suggests they're GPL, not LGPL. I don't know if they're using shims or whatever but... it sounds like there could be some questions there if the whole thing is not open source. Of course it makes no difference to the license whether they sell it or give it away for free but if there's a gray area then library authors might take more notice if there's money involved.

I think the people involved probably know what they're doing.

3. KD5RGJ

KD5RGJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank goodness for pen and paper !!

4. WO5T

WO5T Guest

It will die the first time QRZ changes. If it does, that's OK because I was looking
    for a good program when I found HRD. hihi

73 wo5t

5. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here it is in a nutshell:

There are those who exist to support and further amateur radio and its many facets. Those are the ones who receive the satisfaction in knowing they helped a ham enjoy their hobby more, learn more, and serve more.

Then there are those who exist to profit from amateur radio. Those are the ones who receive satisfaction from receiving your hard earned money.

de NA4IT

6. KK3Q

KK3Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Out of curiosity, did you import older logs into Logic? Seems like every time I try a new logging program it gets confused by the log file produced by N3FJP.

7. KK3Q

KK3Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya hit that right on the head of the old nail there.

8. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah Jon, I'm sure glad that unlike HRD, Logic 8 doesn't do too much... [​IMG]

9. W8BFG

W8BFG Guest

Check out the www.MannIndustries.Net site, it's not your typical Industrial site. Some of the links there refer to a Klinton Mann and a KE5FMN, who turn out to be one and the same person. The website lists itself as being a "repository of miscellany". The website name may just be a somewhat humorous attempt at FMN's self-importance. That site's been in use as an HRD download site for a number of years, BTW

And for the record, I've been playing Admin on the HRD Forum since early 2004 (not involved in anyway w/HRD programming, other than as user and Beta tester), but that will end when the sale is finalized, if not sometime before that.

72 de W8BFG
    ---bernie gaffney

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
  10. WA5VSK

WA5VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I will await the formal announcement before putting on my parachute. However it does provide cause for an old timer like myself to start thinking of the best way to return to paper logs. They are inexpensive, low tech and will provide all the answers these software logs will only a bit slower if one can read one's writing. So for me, being a physician, it just means I can't write in my doctor penmanship. I can't read that either.

Congratulations to Simon for a huge job well done!!! I also wish the new group success in making the right decisions for the program.
    No matter, I will buy a little more paper and a few more quill pens.

Bob
    WA5VSK

11. EI2GLB

EI2GLB Guest

HRD is free,

Logic 8 $120

if logic 8 is so good why do guys using it I know, have to send me there logs so I can work out stuff in HRD for them ????

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
  12. NT1K

NT1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if it was said but I hope that if there is a new program that everything is All-In-One. I wasn't a fan of having to start 3 programs. I know that it will still use the same amount of resources to run but It would be a lot easier... Also N1MM integration for contesting (At least with DM780)

13. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

HRD, Simon, and PayPal--Automatic Subscription Cancellation!

For those of us who have been donating to Simon Brown over the years, check your PayPal for an automated subscription payment to him.

Over the last several years I have made single "donation" style payments to him to support the software. This year was different--in that PayPal and the payment dialog told me that it was now necessary to pay through a "subscription" instead of single donation payment. Going through the process, it set up a recurring annual payment and date for that payment--one that will occur unattended if not cancelled.

I cancelled mine just a few minutes ago--it was set to make an automated payment next May 16th. I could have easily forgotten this little item...

PayPal certainly does not make it apparent what subscriptions you have signed up for. In order to cancel one you must find the the last (or any payment that was subscription) transaction, and cancel the "profile."

I don't know how far back this mandatory subscription thing goes--but it definitely was in effect last May. Check and save yourself the headache of dealing with it later!

14. N5TGL

N5TGL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah! Works great decoding PSK31, doesn't it? ;)

15. CU3HY

CU3HY Guest

I feel somewhat sad... It's just a gut feeling... :(

I'm not against change, just never saw a good one...

Those right there, folks, were my two cents...

73 de CU3HY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.