ad: TinyPaddle-1

Dave(Elmo) Meehan W7IVK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W7IVK, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7IVK

W7IVK Ham Member QRZ Page

This is way too late but here it goes.
    We tried to convince him to move out of the ghetto, but his home was in Vegas. A mile away from the dollar movie, the racetrack, and downtown. People didn't like him, but I wish I would have spent more time with him. I wish I went with him to the dollar movie that night I drove him to the balloon meeting. He fixed my truck and taught me how to run from the cops. From Jammer, Racer, Outlaw, land Mougle, and junk collector, the Most Interesting Man in the World, the Beatnik Bandit, plain dirty white T-shirt, stripped out Mazda, big amps and antennas on 40m and cool repeaters on 2m, Elmo as the hams knew him, I don't know what more to say.
    Im gonna miss that man and just for him, screw WESTCARS, the club, the government employees, and the system.
    No obituary, no recognition at all. Rest in Peace Dave.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/jan/18/murder-charge-added-against-suspect-accused-beatin/

2. K9SRV

K9SRV Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry for your loss. There are ways to help yourself deal with the loss, if you so chose.
    I hope you keep an open mind on available help.
    John

3. K7LAS

K7LAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Dan. I told Steve awhile back that "someone" should be recording these .52 conversations. I'll miss him....fun to listen to!
    Mark

4. W7IVK

I forgot about his wonderful history with Wilson electronics. The antennas he designed are still in use today. I am certain there are some hams out there that are familiar with the early days of Wilson in Vegas.

5. W7IVK

6. NO7BS

NO7BS Ham Member QRZ Page

I too noticed "No Obit" and thought that was kinda cold. Whats up with the bitch that lived with him? She too busy to do ONE last thing for Elmo? Elmo (David) was a CHARACTER ..no doubt about it! From "Baiting" the local HAMS with absurd stories of buddies in Black Toyota Prius's with blacked out windows, to racing on city streets in cars that didn't exist he was pretty funny. For a 70 year old guy, Elmo was pretty "Quick" when we wasn't too drunk to hit the PTT button.What a lot of people DIDN'T know about Elmo was..he holds a LOT of US patents for circuits in early television, antenna design and quite a bit more. Elmo accomplished a LOT, and while full of crap at times he did know Electronics/Radio/Power Supplies.
    Elmo was a WORLD CLASS SLOB! and damn proud of it! Come on! the guy EARNED that right.He didnt care what others think, was comfortable in his own realm,but didnt force his life style on anyone (well maybe the neighbors).Elmo LIKED living in the Ghetto of Las Vegas. If he wanted to like "Cookie Cutter" style he could have.
    Ah 146.520Mhz LEGENDARY to say the least! We had FUN on .52 (still do today). HOURS AND HOURS of hurling it out! If you wern't laughing your ass off, then you have zero sense of humor. Elmo and I would "Fight" for hours....never a mean word...and everyone enjoyed the "Show". It would go on til the wee hours of the morning, usually ending when Elmo was too smashed to key the transmitter anymore. It was usually a battle of wits and he was usually well armed..
    When Elmo died, he took a LOT of experiance/knowledge with him.if you didnt really KNOW Elmo, you didnt know what he was capable of.If you didnt ask, Elmo didn't tell you.If you asked for help, Elmo ALWAYS helped you with a technical problem.
    At times Elmo was his own worst enemy. His "open" opinion and big mouth got the best of him.I suspect THAT may have fueled this battle that lead to his demise.The whole thing was very sad.While Elmo REALLY disliked the presence of ILLEGAL immigrants present in the US..he STILL hired them to do work on his home.I don't know if this was to save money, or he wanted to HELP the downtrodden.Elmo really was a VERY nice guy,just highly opinionated,not afraid to be "Politically INcorrect" and LOVED his booze.More power to him! He EARNED that right....
    146.520Mhz continues on in Vegas,Elmo is indeed missed.People DO think of him. I do wish there were audio recordings of the Antics from 146.520Mhz....
    Are there parallels here?
    All I can say is I hope my gardener doesn't beat ME to death.......

Kirk WB6EGR

7. N7RAJ

N7RAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Guy, had a few QSO's with him before locally. RIP

8. W7IVK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.