ad: Alphaant-1

DARPA's Dream: Vacuum tubes from 3-D printers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9GB, Jan 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W2MR, KW4EK, AF7EC and 1 other person like this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And it's not even April first!

KK5R likes this.
  3. W7SCT

W7SCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Another reverse engineering product from Roswell !!

KK5R likes this.
  4. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm waiting for them to do a 3-D printer job to make a 3-D printer. It will be called a Feedback Experiment.

Talk about a dog chasing its tail...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    KE4HTS and AF7EC like this.
  5. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Clever, but you're in good company on this one (Von Neumann, Dyson, Moore). Look up "self-replicating machine".

KK5R likes this.
  6. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Now, if they could only replicate the physical material needed for the replications...

"Uh, do you want fries with that?"

Reminds me of the new secretary trainee that needed 10 sheets of typing paper so she took the one sheet she had and made 10 copies of it. "Yep, that would work..." (And she still had the sheet of typing paper for future emergencies.)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    N5HNX likes this.
  7. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The local maker space has indeed used a 3D printer to fabricate parts needed to fix that particular gadget.

8. KE7GZU

KE7GZU Ham Member QRZ Page

9. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Another active area of research is vacuum microelectronics.

The basic concept is that you use microelectronic fabrication techniques, but arrange so that your switching elements are tiny vacuum triodes (or other devices).

You would still have an integrated circuit, with thousands or millions of triodes in a single package.

By many parameters, electrons moving through vacuum are 'faster' then electrons moving through silicon.

Jon
    AF7TS

10. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Bet she was blond.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

11. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

How does a printer print a vacuum?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WA7PRC, KC9UDX and KK5R like this.
  12. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Bet she watched CNN religiously, also. {;->

13. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I would perk up and take note if someone with a 3-D printer put out a bunch of straight CW keys and flooded the market with them. Perhaps it would force the market to come down a smidgen. Perhaps replacing all those keys on display in Morse Museums would release the originals and allow them to be put on the market.

Perhaps as useful to the Ham society would be to set up one of the printers to spin out a few hundred knobs for older equipment. Then fewer people would be buying up dead radios and selling off the knobs. Two birds with one 3-D printer, so to speak.

There are a lot of unique items of interest to hams that a 3-D printer could be set up to put out. Or, would the price be prohibitive and they want to keep this a secret? Has me wondering if those printers are able to do print "jobs" for a reasonable price. Perhaps the setup program is the bear in kitchen.

How about copies of variable capacitors? Is the material used in the 3-D printer capable of replacing plates in a cap used at HF or higher frequencies? I'd be more interested in knowing the real capabilities of the printer's output instead of making me wonder if it's just pretty and artful replicas of real items/devices.

KD2HCE and WR2E like this.
  14. M0PHE

M0PHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Especially if they were PS213 replicas...

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI there are pending patents on these components--3d printed-- and all have been realized in at least modest form.No one is interested in toys or replicas.