ad: portazero-1

D-STAR - The Most Exciting New Mode

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7TKO, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KF4FHS

KF4FHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Uhmmm,, Steve,

He's right !!!!

Bernie/ KF4FHS

2. K4CJX

K4CJX Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are using P1 or P2, Winlink will call and answer on P1 regardless.

Steve, k4cjx

3. K4CJX

We were in when we were allowed in...and we are still deploying more units into the area. It is not over yet. And, guess what? We are still handling traffic in the Tsunami region, too, and how long has that been going on? What's so, so what!

Tim, I am not being arrogant, I simply disputed your uninformed accusations. Tim's definition of Arrogance: "not agreeing with Tim."

How are you assisting? then or now?

Steve, k4cjx

4. KF4FHS

Steve,

If a connect is not made, does the transmitting station identify itself ? Or does it just stop transmitting ?

The reason I ask, is because some the stations that I have seen trying to connect, simply stop transmitting, without ID'ing if they don't connect. Is that per the FCC rules ?

73, Bernie

5. AB0WR

AB0WR Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve,

You CORRECTED nothing. Here is what *I* said:

The date on Tuesday happened to be AUGUST 30. That means QRP CW was providing emergency front-line communications while you were still planning on how to get Winlink stations into the area.

You are doing a nice job of trying to spin the issue but the issue being discussed is:  where was Winlink 2000 on Tuesday?

And, BTW, what difference does it make what I was doing then or now? I don't get off on bragging about what *I* do like you apparently do.

The only arrogance shown here is you coming in and thinking you can snow people by ignoring dates and times and spinning the argument. The issue isn't NOW when the power is coming back on and the feds, state, and local relief agencies have things under control. The issue is THEN, when immediate communication was needed.

But you just keep on trying to spin things. There will always be people around to point out what you are doing.

tim ab0wr

6. KF4FHS

Hey Tim,

I think I have figured out as to why there is a discrepancy of the dates.

The Winlink folks were waiting for SCS to donate all those $1000, proprietary controllers to the hurricane stricken area.

73, Bernie / KF4FHS

7. KF4FHS

Opps,,I forgot to add.......Don't hold your breath waiting on one [​IMG] Unless, of course you want to shell out several hundred bux to be a member of their lifesaving "network"

73, Bernie / KF4FHS

8. AB0WR

AB0WR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that wouldn't surprise me. If so, that's ok. Wl2k can provide some important communication links in the area.

What needs to be remembered, however, is that many of these evacuees don't have their laptops with them. They probably don't have email addresses to send outgoing notifications TO.

Heck, I wouldn't if I lost everything. Many of them won't even have telephone numbers to notify, just names. Once the outgoing H&W links get going full speed there will probably be a lot messages NEEDING NTS handling so that someone in the destination town can look up telephone numbers to deliver the messages. In many cases, you may not even get a full address, just a name and a town. I don't remember my brothers addresses, just how to get to their house. "Just east of Noland Road" won't get delivery by Wl2k.

I know the Salvation Army is recruiting two-man teams to go into the disaster area and start this process in just the next week or two.

I would beseech EVERY amateur operator to monitor their local nets, be they HF section nets or local ARES 2-meter nets, for this traffic and please, PLEASE help deliver it. This will probably go on for the next month, at least.

Even if the majority of hams can't help at the disaster location, they *can* help by delivering this type of traffic when the opportunity presents itself. I know it can be scary to take a message and try to deliver it, even scarier calling someone you don't know to deliver a message. But nothing worthwhile comes easy.

tim ab0wr

9. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

"D-STAR - The Most Exciting New Mode"

I'm afraid this thread has been hijacked, and I may have initiated this.  Jan, please accept my apologies.  If we want to discuss Winlink's participation in disaster relief guys, we should start another thread, probably in the Amateur Radio Talk & Opinions.

It would be most unfair to Jan to continue guys ... what say?

Best 73,
    Luke

10. VE7TKO

VE7TKO Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] AB0WR – Timothy P. Gorman
    AD4MG – Luke O. Bannister Jr.
    AE4TM – Edwin C. Jones
    K4CJX – R. Stephen Waterman
    KF4FHS – Bernard H. Leonard Jr.

It would be most appreciated if you would move your discussion to a new thread that one of you has started. This thread is for discussing the possibilities of D-STAR. Your discussion is off the main topic. If it were possible, I would have your discussion transferred, so that we could maintain the unity of the subject.

I will be installing a new ICOM ID-800H for a base. I will see if I can get Winlink 2000 Telpac working on it. If it works out for me, I will write a report on it and let everybody know how that it is working.

Remember, D-STAR is a new technology. Give the clubs who are interested in it a chance to strut their stuff, and show you how D-STAR works.

11. K4CJX

Bernie,

I cannot answer for all digital stations, but I can answer for all Winlink 2000 users. Airmail has a mandatory identification (FEC) and it identifies the station being called as well as the calling station regardless of a successful connection. It ALWAYS identifies, either way.

Steve, k4cjx

12. K4CJX

Bernie,

FYI,

Farallon Electronics, the US distributor for SCS (PTC modems,) has donated modems to those deploying for the Katrina disaster area. SCS has made many such donations to those who have deployed in other disasters.

It is a great feeling to have provided assistance to those who need it desparately. Right?

Steve, k4cjx

13. K4CJX

You may want to contact Lor Kutchins, W3QA, who is successfully deploying the ID-1s as TCP/IP links to the backs of Telpac gateways.

Steve, k4cjx

14. K7DN

K7DN Ham Member QRZ Page

That makes no sense at all. I guess you think that repeater sites are FREE. And I suppose that you think phone lines for auto patches are free. There is always a cost, even if it is simply electricity.

15. K7DN

K7DN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.