ad: k1jek

Cuba DXpedition and POTA Activation with KB2FMH

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, May 30, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The last Q on 5/2 was at 05:45 which would have been 01:45 eastern time, 40 m ft8. Sorry. The only other phone op would have been CO2XN who has a thick Spanish Accent and never mistaken for a New Yorker!
    It seems someone used our call while we were boxing everything for travel.

2. N2NOW

N2NOW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

seems you are incorrect as well !
    leaving-brooklyn.jpg

WR2E likes this.
  3. KB2FMH

4. KI5VIG

KI5VIG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No worries! I'll jump in on the next one! 73, my friend!

5. KK4NAW

KK4NAW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Got to work them just a couple of hours before they shut down. Nice QSO and excellent operator plus a POTA as well!

6. KU1V

KU1V XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another wonderful presentation - tnx 73

W1DED likes this.
  7. WB4JHS

WB4JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ray

Look on CO2KK’s QRZ post…just realized Arnie passed away. His wife Roxanne was a really nice person. They met while he was a professor in La Habana and she was there and he left a wonderful daughter Claudia. When I told him over email I would be in Havana I invited him to have dinner with us with his family as we were there with a large missionary optometry group. I asked him in an email: Do you need me to bring anything along from the states?” I was expecting maybe some part for a radio or some antenna thing and all the asked me was for a Bible and some reading glasses. He was a key intelligence officer during the Bay of Pigs operation and the Cuban missile crisis. He personally witnessed the support ships from the United States turning around and going back to the US.

I remember after church asking if he wanted to also stay for lunch and that I would buy him lunch and he told me that their ration card had largely expired for any current food and they were not planning to eat that day as a family. A common occurrence in Cuba. So he was grateful to have one meal for him and his family. He did an amazing job on Dx’rs Unlimited on 6.000Mhz. Most of his equipment was homemade and actually he was on the first 6 m operators on the island of Cuba.

Email me if you want to hear more details. See my QRZ post for email address. John WB4JHS Orlando, Fl

KF4ZKU and WR2E like this.
  8. KG5JAW

KG5JAW Ham Member QRZ Page

KB2FMH:
    I’m pretty sure you’re the operator I talked to down there on 5/1/23 at 0240 UTC on 7.152 Mhz. Enjoyed the QSO! ⚡️ Idk if you had any QSL cards made for the event, but I’d love to have one if you did! 73 de KG5JAW

9. YD3ATP

YD3ATP Ham Member QRZ Page

very good

10. KB2FMH

The card on the Q page is the front of a nice 4-sided card Brooke, and can be ordered vis the Clublog OQRS system. https://clublog.org/logsearch.php

People who choose Buro will get a 2-sided version and wait a long time!

They are being printed as I write this.

11. K3CXG

K3CXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Great fun working the Cuban station with the New York accent!

12. KB2FMH

Hey Pal, Fuggedabout New York, Dat's a Brooklyn Accent ;)!

Thanks for calling us Mike, we had a blast down there. Look for us again in American Samoa in early July - KH8RRC is the call. Details here on the Q and all over social media.