ad: TinyPaddle-1

CQ policy on stations in Crimea using Russian-issued call signs in CQ contests

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

He does have the right but the question is is it American to do so?

2. K4YZ

K4YZ Guest

So if the terrorists in the Syrian and Iraqi theaters start issuing their own call signs, do we simply acknowledge them and welcome them to the fold?

Had the people of the Crimea taken a vote like Scotland recently did and voted to secede from the Ukraine and join Russia, this would be a moot point. The fact of the matter is that Vladimir Putin took the Crimea from the Ukraine at the tip of a bayonet and dared anyone to do anything about it. He's no different than the thugs in the middle east other than he wears a suit and tie.

Don't get me wrong. I don't see this as "Russia" invading the Ukraine...I see it as a murdering despot using force to get what he couldn't get by diplomacy. However if we willingly grant recognition of this expatriation-by-force, then we have no business trying to stop the murdering thugs in the Middle East, either...Just let the chips fall where they may, as long as we get DXCC credit...?!?! Not me!

Steven J Robeson, K4YZ
    GySgt USMC(ret'd)
    Winchester, TN

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

What would not be "American" would be for the government to tell him he can't regulate speech on his private site. The "American" thing to do in ham lingo would be to spin the dial.

4. M0WIT

M0WIT Ham Member QRZ Page

One question.

My licence permits only communication with other licensed amateurs.

So which Crimeans am I legal to speak with?

5. R2DAW

R2DAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, they did, if you don't know.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I workem no matter what the prefix. Most dxers do not have strong political views other than a joy in the camaraderie of the air.

Chip W1YW

7. KI4RBD

KI4RBD Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Decision!.....Maybe when they take over the homeland here in the USA these others will have another view point!

Make sure you get your Russian version of Rossette Stone to be ready for their invation...If you haven't heard they have already hacked our military!

8. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Politics are not the problem. People who get all bent out of shape about them are the problem. In every case.

Good for CQ for taking a stand and making their rules clear; I don't care what side of any political issue they choose.

If you don't like the rules, don't participate in the contest. What's the big deal?

This situation is worse than if CQ went under and the contest went to oblivion??? Maybe they should just not sponsor contests anymore because it might get political.

:confused:

9. KD8MJR

KD8MJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes they did, but it was certainly not the same thing as Scotland.
    In this case it would be as if England invaded Scotland and then said now it's time for elections.

10. K4YZ

K4YZ Guest

Uh huh...with Putin's soldiers standing armed guard at the polls and Russian bureaucrats conducting the vote...?!?!

Why am I not convinced of the validity of that event...?!?!

Maybe that kind of "diplomacy" works elsewhere, but I don't buy it. If Putin wants to validate the Crimean annexation, he'll pull ALL his troops out and let the Crimean people vote under the UN or European Union flags, not Russian. When the vote is tallied WITHOUT an AK-47 stuck in the electorate's ear, THEN I'll believe it. Until then, Crimea is forcibly expatriated territory under foreign rule and QSO's from non-Ukranian stations are bogus.

CQ Magazine did the right thing.

Steve, K4YZ

11. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

SHAME SHAME SHAME!!! The foolish actions of governments should have NOTHING to do with friendly communications or contesting between Hams. Why should individuals be penalized by an organization that has NOTHING to do with the situation??

SHAME on CQ. STAY OUT OF IT!!! This STUPID decision may put the final nail in their coffin. Maybe they should concentrate on GETTING ISSUES OUT instead of delving into international policy!!!!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  12. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All politics aside, it seems to me like it would have been easier to take the stance that ARRL did. Russian call the DXCC entity is Russia and Ukraine call the DXCC entity is Ukraine. No reason for any involvement past that and I would have liked to see CQ follow that same rule of thumb.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It certainly would be interesting to have DXers running any country...but if you had some knowledge on this subject, you would know that. They do, to some extent. And notice no one has gone kablueey..what a coincidence. Not!

14. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or, if the contest organizers really feel strongly about it, the fairer thing to do would have been to simply treat Russian-issued Crimean callsigns as Ukraine. Excluding hams who are using callsigns the de facto authorities are telling them to use just doesn't feel right.

Of course, a cynic would note that creating controversy is one means of getting free advertising, perhaps attracting some new subscribers....

15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. Taking a politically engaged stance victimizes those of either side who may just want to have a little fun on-the-air.

Nobody wins. Currently dominant pro-Russians no matter how well meaning, or those willing to comply for the sake of peace, get DQ'ed; while anybody using a Ukrainian call sign, while being accepted in the international radio contest, may not be approved of locally, so risks being exposed as a dissident and potentially made QRT, permanently.

73 de John WØPV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.