ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Convert your Hustler 6BTV into an HOA busting Flagpole antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5VOP, Feb 9, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K4VMG

K4VMG QRZ Lifetime Member #302 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the national flag of the United States of America. It is Chapter 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code (4 U.S.C. § 5 et seq). Although this is a U.S. federal law, the code is not mandatory: it uses non-binding language like "should" and "custom" throughout and does not prescribe any penalties for failure to follow the guidelines. It was "not intended to proscribe conduct" and was written to "codify various existing rules and customs."

N6YWU, K3JIM and KI5UXW like this.
  2. M0MNE

M0MNE Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea but in the UK, flagpoles come under exactly the same planning regulations as antennas and in some situations are even more frowned upon than having an antenna. Many wouldn’t notice or complain about a Hustler BTV but they would object to a flagpole, especially if it’s a British or English flag. Flags are not protected in this country like they are under the American constitution and UK and England flags in particular are (incorrectly) perceived as being associated with the far right. In some areas they provoke exactly the same objections as the American Confederate flag does in parts of the US. Crazy but true. It’s easier to get planning permission for an antenna than a flagpole here!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    M0OXD likes this.
  3. W0YJC

W0YJC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

better idea... just don't move into any HOA. Problem solved, antenna not a compromise to keep the karen-army happy

M0MNE and KJ5AXM like this.
  4. K4VMG

K4VMG QRZ Lifetime Member #302 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We moved out of an HOA for that among other reasons

M0MNE and US7IGN like this.
  5. M0HKG

M0HKG Ham Member QRZ Page

No, Union Jack is absolutely fine - just make sure you fly it the right way up ;-)

M0MNE likes this.
  6. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats great ! Old Chap Hi Hi but I would be careful flying the England flag ! King George would be very upset !

K5VOP likes this.
  7. K1VCT

K1VCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not too sure. I have my Hustler on top of a large flat roof, about 34x34 feet. I had a welding buddy make me a cross out of 5/16 plate steel, with a gusseted 1/4 inch plate "riser" to hold the Hustler base. The "cross" legs are drilled, and bolted to 8 foot pressure treated 4x4's. So its basically a big wide 16 foot base, in a cross shape holding up the antenna. During Hurricane Irma in '17, we had a twister come thru, knocked down a path of trees you could see for about 1500 feet or so. My Hustler was right in that path. It survived with one bent spider leg. BUT, the steel base had a leg fold almost 90 degrees on one of the legs. That means, after the storm, my antenna was on its side, and the base had a leg pointing nearly straight up toward the sky.

When I took it all apart, with the base in a very large vice, three men could not pull on that leg to straighten it. Had to heat it up with a torch to cherry red and use a 5lb hammer to beat it back into straightness. To me, this means that the forces applied to the antenna were such that withstood them and the base gave way. The four 4x4's, the steel base and antenna weigh close to 130lbs, so not saying you're wrong, but am saying there's a chance it'll hold up fine.

US7IGN likes this.
  8. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Its the Flag code. But, there aren't many places, other than government buildings, that observe the night time illumination. In the last few years we've seen rampant destruction of our flag and monuments by what I'd call "crazed should be arrested throw away the key" persons. As a Veteran, I'm grateful that you're proudly displaying our flag 24/7 !

K5VOP, KT4PH and (deleted member) like this.
  9. AD4ZU

Good video!

K5VOP likes this.
  10. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In recent years I have seen a number of flags that were in tatters after being flown on vehicles. Some blackened by soot. It's ignorant, disgraceful and it tugs at my heart. Thank you for your military service.

11. AD4ZU

I agree. I had a discussion with a hotel on Clearwater Beach (I'm in Tampa, Fl) about a flag they'd put on the beach, that was torn to shreds, easily, by Gulf winds. I explained to them that they could not fly our flag in that condition. They took down the pole and the flag. It was a small set up next to their beach rental station (beach chairs, etc), put up by their attendant staff. I really love that when people come to Florida, they know we appreciate our country. But, I had to say something. Also, we have folks that affix flags to their pickups. Its a sad sight when they get torn apart and it should not happen.

KK7SAB likes this.
  12. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One thing I've thought of doing (I'm not subject to an HOA, but even so) is doing a sloper connected to a fla
    For some reason, it's the most "patriotic" (really jingoistic) crazies who drive around with tattered flags, even though it's disrespectful to the flag and the country. That's why some folks react negatively to these displays.

KF5KWO likes this.
  13. AD4ZU

There's no"patriotic jingoist crazies". Just patriots that need to learn about the proper care for our flag. I know this as a Veteran, I'm not a "jingoist", "crazy" type. When I meet folks with "battered and tattered" I introduce myself and offer them a new flag. I did this in a Florida HOA and got free beer for months!

K5VOP and N5CM like this.
  14. K1AQ

K1AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some HOAs would be pleased and not bother you if you flew a Hammer and Sickle on a Red Background!

15. K1AQ

K1AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

AD4ZU likes this.