ad: TinyPaddle-1

Contact your senators now in support of the Amateur Radio Parity Act

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KU0O, Sep 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

How many "tens of millions" actually installed outside antennas?

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

You keep asking that question on more than one forum, Tom, and the answer is the same. Since each piece of legislation should be considered based on its own merits (or in this case, lack of merits), there's no point in making the comparison. To do so is not unlike our childhood "I want mine 'cuz brother/sister got his/hers" argument. It didn't work then, and there's no reason to believe it'll work today.

FWIW, the above argument isn't contained in the text of HR1301 and AFAIK it hasn't been brought up in discussion in Congress. However, you're welcome to try it. Please let us know what your Senators say.

3. WB2KSP

WB2KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

It's actually not relevant because the same argument can be made for ham antennas. I doubt 100% of ham operators will install huge antennas at their QTH. Considering the numbers we're talking about it's likely that there will be fewer hams installing antennas than households installing OTA, DirecTV & Dish network TV antennas nationally. The whole point is freedom to enjoy one's federally issued license at ones home. In reality considering the fact that the federal government has control of the RF spectrum through the FCC, this bill will only close a loophole in the law which builders have been able to take advantage of.

KC8VWM and N5PZJ like this.
  4. WA7PRC

However, David, the argument made in Congress is that "hams perform public service". I agree. Some hams HAVE/ARE provided/ing public service. However, there's been zero testimony/evidence that more hams are needed on the air at home. The only deficiency I've seen is that (during the recent flooding in Louisiana) they needed more hams AT/NEAR the disaster sites. HR1301 will do nothing to help that.

And OTARD is a different animal. It was needed to level the playing field between TV providers. It allows users to choose cable, terrestrial, and satellite providers. Some of those OTA providers are FREE. It benefited not only the providers but also the users. EVERYONE won. HR1301 will benefit only hams (who have alternate means to get on the air).

5. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

The answer is the same - that you cannot answer the question.

There is this thing called precedent. It's been in use in this country for many years in legal decisions.

Apparently the US House of Representatives disagree with you, and hopefully the Senate does as well.

I'm not asking my Senators. I'm asking you. You continue to claim that "tens of millions of people benefitted." So I keep asking you "how many people actually have put up outside antennas?" and you continually dodge the question, insult others, like others' posts that insult others, and taunt people on here and on other forums.

6. WA7PRC

Speaking of dodging, insulting, and taunting...

7. WB2KSP

WB2KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I just read you post at the top of the page and misunderstood your meaning. I'm with you. Most of the remaining anti people just like to debate. If you take a look at today's so called cable "news" channels you'll see the same thing. Debate for debates sake, facts be damned.

N1EN and N5PZJ like this.
  8. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

As I look down my block of single-family homes in a quiet, HOA laden Raleigh NC suburb, about a third of the houses have dish antennas. Nobody has a VHF/UHF antenna that I've seen. Why? The dish folks will come install one for free (paid for by your monthly subscription, of course). So the upfront seems cheap. The local TV stations aren't making that same offer for a UHF OTA antenna. So it's a hassle to DIY, or expensive to have it done. But I'm thinking about it, as I move my little indoor antenna around depending on which station I want to watch.

Back in the good old days, when OTA was all there was, TV antennas were ubiquitous. HOA's took advantage of the emergence of cable to ban what some considered eyesores (or, the conspiracy theory goes, the cable outfits paid them to do it).

So the benefit hangs on the satellite subscribers, and I think that hits your tens of millions mark well enough.

I'm surprised you don't come down on the side of freedom to do what you want on your own property. Limits, of course, but you take a pretty restrictive tack.

9. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

And here's one who is fixin' to DO something about that. The price of Cable/Sat TV has increased at a huge rate. It IS actually a rip-off. For example, out of my 200 channel "package", there must be at least 18 sports channels including a bunch of various "football", golf, and basketball channels. Guess what: I wouldn't walk across the street if they were having the "stupid bowl"-- I mean, SUPER Bowl in the vacant lot across the street and admission was FREE!:eek: I wouldn't pee on it if it was on fire! But I still have to pay for channels I never watch. NEVER! To get RID of 'em, I'd have to reduce my "package"--which is cleverly arranged so you HAVE to pay the higher price in order to get something worth watching. I have to have channels I don't want. If I reduce the # of channels, then there's nothing worth watching--which makes Sat TV worthless to me. AT $70 for these channels I have now, these clowns are bumping their heads on the ceiling. Eighty bucks is the limit. That's $960/yr for the "privilege" of watching TV. So I'm going to OTARD very shortly in the hopes they starve to death. OH, I know they won't, but if they are depending on me to keep paying 960 bucks for their TV channels, they's is nuts. For $960, I could buy a very nice HF rig!:rolleyes::D I can get 26 channels for FREE over the air!

10. WA7PRC

An old expression applies, "It takes two to Tango". It appears there are MANY HR1301 followers who like to dance but, aren't very good at it.
    Facts are good. Misinterpreting facts isn't good. Misrepresenting opinions as fact also is not good. The latter two are contained in HR1301 and its followers' arguments.

11. K9SS

K9SS Ham Member QRZ Page

Done.
    K9SS

KC8VWM likes this.
  12. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The text of the Amateur Radio Parity Act was added as part of the package of House amendments to the Senate passed Communications Act Update Act of 2016 (S.235) this week. The bill, as amended, passed the House unanimously yesterday and now goes back to the Senate where seems likely that it will pass in the lame duck session.

KC8VWM, K6FNI, N5PZJ and 1 other person like this.
  13. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Correct Bill Number is S.253. Added to the Bill, received on the 28th of September in the Senate, Senate expected to agree by unanimous consent, will pass the Senate, get sent to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. and Become Law.

Martin N5PZJ

WB2KSP and KC8VWM like this.
  14. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, sorry, I messed that up. I'm surprised the ARRL hasn't mentioned this yet. They've papered their website and social media platforms during every step of progress with this bill and now it gets attached to something that will almost certainly lead it to becoming law and they are silent!

N5PZJ likes this.
  15. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, not a word on this, need to lobby for S.253 and hope it doesn't become a ping pong match!!!