ad: Schulman-1

Confused about a rule for NA SSB Sprint

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by NT0D, Mar 23, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NT0D

NT0D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm gearing up for NA SSB Sprint tonight https://ssbsprint.com/rules/
    and I'm looking at the rules. DO I understand the following rule correctly to mean that you're not allowed to work a pileup?
    1. Special QSY Rule: If any station solicits a call (eg, by sending “CQ,” “QRZ?” “going up 5 kHz” or any other means of soliciting a response, including completion of a contact where the frequency was inherited), that station is permitted to work only one station in response to that solicitation.
      The station must thereafter move at least 1 kHz before calling another station, or at least 5 kHz before soliciting other calls. Once a station is required to QSY, that station is not allowed to make another contact on the vacated frequency until or unless at least one subsequent contact is made on a new frequency.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Correct. Work just ONE station then move on (QSY) - up at least 5

Dave
    W7UUU

NT0D likes this.
  3. NT0D

NT0D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the clarification, Dave. I haven't worked a contest with this rule before. Is that what makes it a "sprint"? Or is it the short 4 hour duration?

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

The duration is what makes it a sprint. The other part makes it more like a "relay race" sort of concept.

I've played it a few times - kinda fun because no one gets to "own" a frequency. EVERYONE is always in motion, going up and down the band making only one contact at a time, and "handing off" the frequency to the guy you worked.

But it's definitely one to keep you on your toes and paying attention :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N2PQW likes this.
  5. WN1C

WN1C Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember the tips section: https://ssbsprint.com/tips-tricks/

A very elegant characteristic of the sprint is getting two QSOs in one dial turn: you call someone, then someone calls you, then you QSY. Since you didn't "solicit" the first QSO, you get to immediately solicit one caller as a matter of protocol, then head somewhere else to meet the rules!

NT0D likes this.
  6. W7UUU

And when it REALLY works well, it becomes almost like "gears turning" as everyone gets in sync with the patter and all "walk up the band" as the gears turn.

It's RARE but when it happens it's a real hoot :) It's kind of like "the Wave" in sports stadiums :)

Dave
    W7UUU

NT0D, N3AWS and WN1C like this.