ad: Radclub22-1

Big change on DXCC rules

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by BG4CZX, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K7RAN

K7RAN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W9JEF de K7RAN, great questions:
    Because it's the ham radio you remember back when you could actually host the RF and antenna in your yard. Bound by your restrictive HOA covenant, abusive apartment/condo manager, or controlled assisted living facility, you're now free to sit in front of an Elecraft K3/0, spin the big VFO knob, invoke the sub-receiver's audio in your right ear with the main audio in your left (if you like Heil headphones), spin the remote beam toward the long path, key the mic or paddles, and join the fight for rare DX. Only your RF and antenna are somewhere else in your same DXCC entity.

Because perhaps you're a lonely widower with little desire to actually get out there and date again in your old age. Because it's pretty safe. Because it provides some needed relief and feels good.

73, Randy K7RAN

2. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Since renting out my station is not "pecuniary interest"(as per FCC Rules),
    I can invest in some high-end radios, 1500 watt amps, towers and beams,
    and put my 7 acres out as a cash cow? What kind of internet ware do I need,
    and how much could I charge to let another ham use my station?

I'm serious.

And Medicare pays for the little blue pills?

That sure beats going SK at age 100, shot by a jealous husband. ;)

3. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

What its going to come down to, as usual, is the honesty of the operator(s) involved.

Me personally I find wallpaper to be part of the hobby but not a vital part of it. If, during my operation of my station, I happen to earn some kind of award, fine, I'll probably submit for it, depending on the cost. If I have to pay for a certificate and its more than a few bucks, I'll probably not do it, depending on what it is. I'll apply for it and get electronic confirmation (kinda like I have the "Worked All Continents" one here on QRZ, which I didn't know I had until I imported my logs from LOTW and looked), but that will probably be about it.

But what it comes down to is that, honestly, the only person who will know if I did that honestly is myself. Sure, people could look into my wallpaper to make sure, but I doubt they are going to bother because I'm not going to have nearly as much as anyone who takes it remotely seriously.

With this rule, as well as many others for contests or just QSLing in general, there is some checking, like what the logbook does here with having to have the entries be both within a 30 minute window of each other and stuff like that. But what it comes down to is what has always applied-except for some of the things the various online logbooks do, nothing changes.

It is up to the operator to stay "above board" and not only operate within the rules, but QSL within the rules, and earn the contacts properly, and in the case of some awards, from the same location. If they choose to use a remote to "cheat" somehow or place an antenna more than 500m away to improve reception, that is on that person, unless someone "discovers" it, and even then, we're talking about awards that only carry the prestige of the paperwork you get for them, in many cases that you pay for to get. So, in the end, the only person that is tarnished....

....is the person who knew they cheated.

And everything said in the thread...asking people if they are running remote, etc, will likely be met with the same response I'd give-No. I'm not going to bother with it. I see no need to be able to run my station at home from work, or anywhere else. But using that to vet out people you feel are cheaters isn't going to work, because the bottom line is if someone is cheating, the last thing they are going to do is tell you about it....

So we're right back to square 1. Unless someone does something pretty obvious to indicate cheating....nobody is going to know. Its called the honor system, and it continues to this day, with some checks and balances.

And if we want to talk about earning money on Ham Radio, how about the ATNO DXpeditions that will put your entry in the log on LOTW if you paypal them $5? Thats pretty related to the contact made, I'd think. More related than renting your station to someone to use to make contacts, in my opinion. At least you have to still MAKE the contact when you're "borrowing" someone else's station. There are people out there who are making contacts but won't confirm them till you pay ransom. Sounds fishy to me!

And I won't ever pay ransom to someone for a QSL card. Its not that vital to me, like I said. If they don't want to confirm it, there is nothing I can do about it. But thats the end of it to me....I'm not gonna worry about it.

If its important enough to you to get that award, and you're going to spend money to get confirmations, or go further and use a good station to make contacts to enhance your log, thats up to you.

You and only you have to live with the fact that certificate on the wall was obtained under false pretenses :)

4. W9JEF

From Part 97 R&R

[h=3]Compensation for Using an Amateur Station[/h]
    Q: What do the Rules provide with respect to compensation for the use
    of an amateur station or for being the control operator of an amateur station?

Section 97.113
    states that an [sic] station must not transmit communications for hire
    or for material compensation, direct or indirect, paid or promised,
    except as otherwise provided in Part 97. Section 97.3
    , moreover,
    defines the term "amateur service" as "A radio communication service
    for the purpose of self-training, intercommunication and technical investigations
    carried out by amateurs, that is, duly authorized persons interested in radio technique
    solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest."

Q: Are there exceptions to this rule?

Yes. Section 97.113
    provides for two situations where a person may accept compensation
    for being the control operator of an amateur station:
    1. As an incident of a teaching position during periods of time when an amateur station
    2. is used by that teacher as a part of classroom instruction at an educational institution.
    3. As the control operator of a club station transmitting telegraphy practice or information bulletins.
    4. Compensation may be accepted, however, only:
      • For those periods of time when the station is transmitting telegraphy practice or bulletins; and
      • Where the station transmits telegraphy practice and bulletins for at least 40 hours per week; and
      • Where operations are scheduled on at least six amateur service MF and HF bands
      • using reasonable measures to maximize coverage; and
      • Where the schedule of normal operating times and frequencies
      • is published at least 30 days in advance of the actual transmissions; and
      • Where the control operator does not accept any direct or indirect compensation
      • for any other service as a control operator.
    Note that control operators of other types of stations (refer to Section 97.5)
    transmitting telegraphy practice or information bulletins may not accept compensation.

5. WD5JOY

WD5JOY Ham Member QRZ Page

The Southern California DX Club has been using very imaginative methods to allow virtually every member to gain the DXCC award for 30+ years now. Setting up QSO's with "People in Far Away Places" on specific frequencies (jump band to band to band) on specific days and times as a couple examples.

If any given station could not establish communication with other station thousands of miles apart the members simply allowed remote use of the station of the guys with massive towers, beams and power (HELLO JOE MERDELER (SK). Sure the QSO (typically a 5-9-9 report immediately followed by a '73') took place, but operator #1 had to use operator #2's station to make the contact.

The So Cal DX Club members typically felt what they did was "allowed", but when reporting contacts showed them as if all were from only one station location. They were very closed mouthed about using those 'big time' stations remotely. If asked? Typical reply was "NO!" and nothing more. The club members maay brag about how they "cleaned up" 2-meter repeaters; however, the only cleaning that was done is when the rebel operators of repeaters 146.610 and later 147.435 made life so miserable for "the club" that they arbitrarily declared 'victory' and went back where they belonged ..... on the elite operators "PRIVATE REPEATER". DXCC nowadays - no matter how achieved - will be looked upon as a farce ...... just as the original farce - The SoCal DX Club became all those years ago.

From Senility Central --- Senile Old Man Donnie

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  6. W9JEF

And there's the "California Kilowatt" a 4CX15,000A "active impedance matcher" hidden in the attic.

Of course, the 440 volt 3-phase service drop might look a bit suspicious. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.