ad: UR5CDX-1

Bernie C. Farthing, NP2CB SK August 25, 2015

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Aug 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Bernie C. Farthing, NP2CB SK

SK August 25, 2015

[​IMG]

Bernard Colquitt Farthing, Jr.

January 22, 1938 - August 25, 2015
    Clermont, Florida

Bernard ("Bernie") C. Farthing, Jr., 77, passed away on Monday, August 25, 2015, at the Mike Conley Hospice House in Clermont, FL. He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Linda (Lynn) Jenkins Farthing. Daughters, Donna Farthing Scott and husband David Scott of Chapel Hill, NC, and Denise Farthing Wade of Springfield, VA. Son, David C. Farthing of Clermont. Sisters, Frances Farthing Wiehrs and husband Henry Wiehrs of Summerville, SC, and Cynthia Farthing Sayre of Rockwell, TX. Grandchildren, Kacey Scott of Asheville, NC, Eryn Scott Wells and husband Dylan Wells of Fuquay-Varina, NC, and James Myers of Chesterfield, VA. Great grandchild, Lola Myers of Chesterfield, VA.

Bernie was born on January 22, 1938 in Savannah, GA to Freddine Tipton Farthing and Bernard C. Farthing, Sr. He and Lynn married in 1959 and began a family that same year. After serving as an auxiliary member of the US Coast Guard, he began a career in sales, eventually focusing on electronic components for TRW, Inc. His work took the family to many cities across the southeast including Atlanta, Orlando, Roanoke and Richmond. After many successful years, he became the regional sales manager. In 1987, he co-founded SACS in Orlando, FL, serving as a Principal/VP until retiring in 1993.

Bernie had many hobbies and volunteer activities that kept him active and busy within the community. He was an expert and passionate sailor, travelling the Chesapeake Bay and along the east coast, Bermuda, and Caribbean Sea. He loved to travel by land, sea, or air-- visiting and sampling foods in far off places including Europe, Israel, and the Hawaiian Islands.

He was a leader in amateur radio since the early 1950's-- well known as "NP2CB". He was an avid CW and phone operator. He was involved in all aspects of emergency communications and was a member of the Orange County and Lake County Amateur Radio Emergency Service. Bernie's proudest association is with the Maritime Mobile Service Network, where he was a member for nearly 20 years. He was a skilled operator who often assisted during weather emergencies and critical maritime assistance situations. He was highly regarded on the Net as a patient teacher and invaluable contributor. His kindness and willingness to assist his fellow man will never be forgotten by his friends in amateur radio.

But, most of all, Bernie's true passion was his adoring family and close friends. He was a master conversationalist and storyteller-- always interesting, mixing dry wit and self-depreciation. He loved to be surrounded by family, young and old-- telling tales of his sailing days and trips abroad. He never missed a chance to talk to anyone who would listen-- bragging about his kids and grandchildren.

He was truly loved, admired, and respected by all who knew him.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the National Kidney Foundation and the Susan B. Komen Foundation for breast cancer.
    http://hosting-24538.tributes.com/obituary/show/Bernard-Colquitt-Farthing-102788750

2. KC2BIZ

KC2BIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the huge honor of meeting Bernie in 2008 where we worked together during T.S. Fay as relays to the SEC from a designated shelter. We then became very good friends as he helped me numerous times with SWR issues in my mobile radio before I headed to Wisconsin in 2009. My passion for Emergency Communications was reborn thanks to Bernie's knowledge and training and has helped me immensely as I am persuing a career in meteorology. I think he would be proud of me for that. RIP Bernie. Hams like you are one in a lifetime. It was beyond an honor to know you. You are thought of often and missed my many. Your legendary status will live on in all that you helped and encountered.

Jeff Kaufman, KC2BIZ/9

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015