ad: Radclub22-1

Baygen Freeplay Radio Out of Business

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WN9ZWC, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC0YBG

KC0YBG Ham Member QRZ Page

It amazes me how people have a device that just needs a simple repair job and they just throw it away without any thought to at least try. Good to know that people like you take the time to make the attempt.

2. NF0A

NF0A Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] That is very good and glad you are doing this.
    Good fortune and have fun!

3. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Ham Member QRZ Page

REPAIR A RADIO ?

What a intresting idea ........ [​IMG]

4. KC6TGS

KC6TGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi QRZ,

Baygen changed their name to Freeplay many years ago. Freeplay is boldly dedicated to making the finest wind-up radios manufactured today. The original idea was tremendous and now has had many good competitors. Freeplay is now branching into other areas such as their well Weza foot powered generator.

I am sorry for the misinformation about Baygen relayed by one of my crew. The correct information has now been distributed. Thanks to everyone for straitening it out

Thanks,
    Bob Crane
    C. Crane Company

5. K7IWW

K7IWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Juat a word of caution:

Use extreme care when opening up Freeplay device cases. If the spring is tensioned and flies loose, a very, VERY nasty laceration can result.

Way to go starting a support site for older Freeplay devices. I own a number of Freeplay devices and love 'em.

Kevin WA7VTD

6. WN9ZWC

WN9ZWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob,
    Thanks for contributing to the conversation. As I said in my first post, the company still exists under Freeplay. What I was told that the older original Byagen Freeplays radios were no longer supported due to Baygen going out of business. My intensions were to put some information out there to assist other Baygen owners with repairs and other technical information about the radio.

7. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

My FreePlay radio (no label anywhere on it saying BayGen) looks like thos pictured elsewhere here but mine only covers AM and FM. It does have the solar cell on it.

My FreePlay was bought in 1999 as my gesture toward preparedness for the Y2K madness when the world was supposed to grind to a halt. It didn't and I still love my crankup radio.Someone mentioned how it seemed to slow down while unwinding. Mine does too. It doesn't seem to have any affect on the playability of the radio.

73 de w8nsi jim
    [​IMG]

8. testar

testar QRZ Member

Testar Freeplay

thanks for the advice! Freeplay fixed - as member said put belt drive back on!
    Grateful Uk London:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.