ad: Halibut-1

ARRL REBUTS DENIAL OF INTERFERENCE FROM BPL TRIAL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...and we are supposed to believe this reflects well on ham radio?

Well, we'll all watch it play out.

I don't believe these actions were constructive for this service Jim. That is my opinion.

Chip N1IR

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...and, Jim, just so the irony is not lost in this sea of words, remember that you, the President of the ARRL, managed to communicate with lots of people here, including me, without ham radio. Indeed, you could NOT have done this with ham radio.

I am using a broadband internet link with a wireless WiFi (shades of part 15 unlicensed!) system, as I enjoy an (early) birthday cigar in front of a robust fire, apres ski.( I am losing at Gin Rummy with my son and wife.) Life is good. Very good. And I, among others, appreciate the incredible revolution in wireless that's happened in the last 10 years, without ham radio (unfortunately). Sad, but, after all, everyone potentially benefits.

As I turn 50, Jim, and gently segue into advanced age, it makes me appreciate how far the world has come in 10 years, and how far behind ham radio is. Time to change that, don't you think?

What can ham radio do to move forward Jim, rather than opposing a viable new technology?

Let's hope all Americans get to share in this 'Broadband Nirvana', Jim, including the ones best serviced by BPL.

Ham radio should not step in the way.

Chip N1IR

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah yes: Hams--the 'Keepers of the light'.

That's not arrogance, is it?

Chip N1IR

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Sierra Club used to do good things, IMO. But in the last several years they've gone way-over-the top activist.

I was out at Escalante last Summer (after visiting several NP's BTW) and asked the locals what they thought about the Sierra Club. I almost got lynched! Seems they're very angry over a recent Sierra Club piece, which they showed me. It sure looked like meddling in other people's affairs.

I told them that I had turned down the Sierra Club again this year, but was a member of the AMC.

It's not activist, but manages to convey a point of view softly and with reason at the fore. I like that.

Thought that might help in your analogy there Ron.

Chip N1IR

5. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Two defoliated turkeys who can't see the forest for the trees......

If hams were the only birds in the forest, it might be a bad analogy.

6. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys don't see ionospheric propagation (HF radio) as a natural resource?

You say it's not natural, nor a resource?

Hehehe. Nice wookie you got there.

7. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Detection by the rhinencephalon of skunk cabbage. You're reaching, Ron.

8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Nirvana is defined as a place or state of oblivion to care, pain, or external reality. Yep. Fits.

9. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ionospheric propagation != ionosphere

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The day the ionosphere get put in charge of hams is a day I leave ham radio.

The day that Part 15 gets put in charge of hams is a day I leave ham radio.

The day Part 97 gets put in charge of hams is a day I leave ham radio.

The day the ham radio bands/amateur radio service are defined as a 'natural resource on order of a national park' is a day I'll leave ham radio.

If anything, this wonderful vox pop has made it clear to many that we just aren't up to speed as a group, and great care should be taken not to extend responsibility to us beyond our own limited--amateur--confines.

Don't confuse amateur radio with professional decisions.

I think the ARRL has good intentions, but the present approach to BPL, and this bizarre lobbying effort about 'hams as stewards of a national park' will prove a huge disaster ultimately. An educated opinion. Yours may differ.

Chip N1IR

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...and then they have an army of bright staffers who can find out the real scoop.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Say...there may just be a way, Ron, to get the ham bands declared as a 'national park'. We need an endangered species...something rare, that is being killed off by all these nasty encroachers/wireless poachers, something that need our ham bands for survival. We need an endangered species! A critter of the airwaves!

I'll do my homework and report back.

Chip N1IR

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ron!!

I found it! I found it! HurrAHH! The ham bands are SAVED!

There IS an endangered species that lives in the airwaves! The ham bands are its preserve! It's called a 'roswellrod'. Gosh! This is on the level, just like Bigfoot and 1000 foot octopii!

Here's a link:

http://www.roswellrods.com/slideshowb.html

We can say this endangered species needs the 'national park' of the ham bands to survive!

We are SAVED!

Chip N1IR

14. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted the definition of resource. It fits. When you say someone is a "natural" it does not mean he grew on a tree. Natural Resource is at least as appropriate as "Broadband Nirvana". You guys are really reaching.

As far as leaving ham radio, Chip, why not beat the rush. I took a vote and we don't need you.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why this propensity to claim spokesman for 700,000 others? I don't get it. When did ham radio decide to let a few vocalist hype a thrillingly dour song? When did this transition happen? Was it the internet, or was it a sudden
    fear of no longer counting like before?

It doesn't wear well.

As for 'Broadband Nirvana', that's an FCC statement. Works well; apt.

Chip N1IR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.