ad: CQMM-1

ARRL: It's not just the bylaws that need changin'

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KL7SB, Jan 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll say it again, I never see any division directors make FCC comment. So I don't know where they stand in terms of proposed rule changes. And if how they vote on league stuff isn't public record the whole thing is a game of charades.

ND6M and N2SUB like this.
  2. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, there's an idea. Get the division directors and the SM's to do that at a hamfest........."do a sounds like" or "is it digital or analog". At least it would be somewhat entertaining :).

KR4EE likes this.
  3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't agree more. I have to ask the ARRL leadership (Not just the BOD), in all your experience and infinite wisdom and knowledge on how to effectively direct the affairs of a membership services non-profit; How is it working out for you? Is there nothing you do that needs improvement? If we would all just quietly stand by would you make any necessary corrections on your own? If we politely asked if you could "pretty please" give us some advanced notice major structure management changes before you vote, do you think they would do so? Or would they reply with condescending remarks to let us know that they know what they are doing and how dare us question their wisdom. (Do I need to cite examples?) It would mean the world to me if the next "Note to the Membership" would include the phrases, "we hear you; we understand your concerns; we will work to make changes based on your concerns". We don't yet know what course corrections will be made. But I think it's pretty clear that without a loud, strong, insistent response we would continue to be ignored. I have been a life member since 1976, (and proud of it until recently) and I don't know if they are stuck with me, or if I am stuck with them. Probably a little of both. This loud uproar is necessary and over due. A weak, meek request or suggestion to the the league leadership isn't worth the time or effort to make. Just as quick as their attitude changes for the better, so will mine. But until then, I guess I have a bad attitude.

KW4MQ, K2XT, W2GD and 2 others like this.
  4. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

What's REALLY difficult to believe is that someone with your education, experience and stature can't understand that when an organization like the ARRL starts ACTING like they have something to hide, that some people might start to think that maybe they HAVE something to hide... Your own "I know something, but I won't tell" explanation is just fuel for the fire.

The ARRL needs to understand that their actions alone are driving the paranoia. Hiding behind legal ipso-facto nonsense just make them look guilty. That's just basic psychology. They may have the legal right to refuse to say what's really going on behind closed doors, but they need to accept the fact that the more they exercise that right, the more members will question their motives, question their allegiance to the members, drop memberships and in the worst case, possibly start collecting pitch forks and addresses...

Welcome to the 21st century, where closed doors are automatically associated with dirty back room politics... where money is king and those represented are merely pawns. I don't like it, but that's the reality of the world today. The worst part is, after all the antagonization, even if the ARRL did come 100% clean on every matter, there will still be those that say that their answer is a lie, that it just took them all these weeks to come up with a convincing story and they are still hiding something.

That's the price of having been secretive in the first place. Trust, once lost, is nearly impossible to regain.

KA2LIM and K2XT like this.
  5. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

True, unless said business IS my business... As a paid member in an organization that represents me and my interests before the government, I have the right to know why a member of the BOD of that organization was censured.

This is NOT a "private matter". It is a organizational matter and as a stake holder in that organization, I have a right to know WTF is going on.

WG7X, W4ABC, K2XT and 3 others like this.
  6. WB6RDV

WB6RDV Ham Member QRZ Page

This statement smells very strongly of organic fertilizer. Insider trading is buying and selling stocks where the trader has access to confidential information not available to the public. Disregard the obvious fact that ARRL is not a publicly-traded for-profit corporation and that one can't "buy shares" in ARRL.

The more information the Board allows to become public, the less possibility there would be of insider trading. If the Board meetings were live-streamed and available for audio or video download, that would completely eliminate any possibility of insider trading with regard to anything that takes place at a Board meeting. No secrecy and no gag order equals no confidential information with which an insider could trade.

WG7X, W4ABC and N2SUB like this.
  7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

They are not acting like they have something to hide. They are abiding by the laws that do not allow them to disseminate the information that you and others mistakenly think you have a right to. It's that simple. It is not a matter of trust. It is a matter of the law. They do give you the information that you are legally allowed to have. All of it. Why wouldn't they. It's not top secret. Personnel matters are not public information. Law suits arise from that type of information leak all the time. Thanks to you guys I am beginning to think that the ARRL should just disband. Then the FCC would have free reign and you guys can ply you vigilante trade on the Federal Government. Two decent men have announced their retirement because of this witch hunt. Thats two innocent men. And they are both friends of mine. But you people will not be happy until every member of the Board of Directors has resigned. In anger I am wishing that you accomplish what you are striving for. In anger I am hoping that the ARRL ceases to exist. Once that happens you will be a happy bunch of campers; until the FCC starts ripping ham radio to shreds and selling it off piece by piece. That being said, I will congratulate you on a job well done and make you happy by ending my protest against this vigilante committee. Everything you vigilantes have said is based on appearances, supposition and tarot cards. You have not given one single fact to support anything you have said. Where is your evidence? ain a court of law you would be thrown out on your ear. But you insist that all the reasonable people are wrong but you. You have no regard for "Innocent until PROVEN guilty." A man i don't care for once said "You can't fix stupid." Looks like he was right. My Grandmother said many times "Stupid is as stupid does." It looks like she was right too. Another great man once said, " It's not that they don't know anything. They just know so much that isn't true." The bible says "Be not deceived, GOD is not mocked. For whatsoever a man sows; THAT shall he also reap." You may think that doesn't apply to you, but I assure you that it does. I have nothing more to say on this subject to anyone. I won't post on this thread again. That too should make you proud. My best to you and yours. 73

NN4RH likes this.
  8. WB6RDV

Citation please.

Specifically what law would the League Board violate were they to open the Board meetings to observation by the public? You've repeatedly made the assertion that transparency is illegal. Back it up. Specifically what law requires this secrecy?

9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

NY2RF announced his retirement, who is the second ?

10. WB6RDV

NY2RF announced his retirement, who are the two decent men?

11. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So, what are we talking about here, matters of National security? And if these matters are illegal to share with the membership, how do you know that they exist in the first place? Just curious.

KK5JY and ND6M like this.
  12. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can't be referring to NY2RF, because he retired due to, and I quote "recent changes included in the new federal tax law that made it unattractive for him to continue working in Connecticut, where ARRL is headquartered." Or could it be that you don't believe the official version of why he retired?

Pardon my sarcasm. I can appreciate your feeling for your friends and it's commendable.

Dick Norton, N6AA has friends too.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    W5JON, W1YW and ND6M like this.
  13. KA6S

KA6S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And I will reply with how such a move is received by the powers -that-be - "That person doesn't pay dues - I don't have to listen to THEM!" You merely disenfranchise yourself. Is there a sound from a tree falling in the woods? Not if there no one there to hear it.

In a past life I was involved in league politics - and as I said originally - maybe I'll have a chance to do so again in a few years.. I HAVE practiced what I preach here. I'm merely telling you exactly how it is perceived from the inside of the organization. I don't like this new approach either - we don't differ on that. However - having been an elected ARRL official wheeney at one time - I am giving you the straight-skinny on how your protest will be seen.. the tree falling..

Steve KA6S

14. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

“If they don’t know what you are doing, they don’t know what you are doing wrong.” — Sir Arnold Robinson, GCMG CVO MA (Oxon)

KI7HSB and K2XT like this.
  15. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

BINGO!!!!!