ad: chuckmartin

ARRL Digital Membership $9.99/6 months

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC3DB, Jul 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred - I am willing to bet that may be the case. Perhaps contact ARRL Tech Support (they are quite good actually) and have them consolidate your two or three older accounts into your latest account. It would involve marrying those accounts to your computer's MAC address (i.e. the same way people have SS numbers, PC's have unique MAC addresses that cannot be changed.) This prevents a hacker from accessing your LoTW from their computer, but is a PITA when you replace your computer, as one must go through a new LoTW installation.

The good news is those hidden LoTW confirmations are never lost. Once you have your accounts consolidated, you may see all of your missing LoTW confirmations if that was the source of the problem. Otherwise, you may be working too many 80M SSB stations state-side ;-) You know, those who do not need LoTW for routine nightly chats.

As reference, about 70% of my digital contacts become LoTW confirmed. For SSB, only about 45% during a SSB contest - expect as low as 20% outside of a SSB contest. With digital communications, you have a greater chance of LoTW confirmation since the Operator is likely to be tech savy and will use LoTW.

Below are copies from a page on my QRZ log for digital (Jt65/9) and SSB contacts so you can see what I am talking about (as you know, the green circled entries denote LoTW confirmations.)

upload_2016-7-25_16-50-52.png

upload_2016-7-25_16-58-59.png

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    WF9Q likes this.
  2. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do I need to repeat my explanation again involving your misuse and or unnecessary use of the word "annual" for you?

3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want to come across as a petty nitwit, sure, go ahead.

4. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you see name calling? You are so brave hiding behind a keyboard.
    I really ought to listen to you, you have 200 lookups (you ever get on the air?), I have 41,600

K2NCC likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

With twenty two pages of posts, it's a really good idea to quote the person you're calling a nitwit lest a whole bunch of folks think it's them :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, KC9UDX, WF9Q and 1 other person like this.
  6. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand your point. The word "annual" does not need to be used, but I do not believe it is incorrect usage when applied.

In business usage, stating "annual increase" as opposed to "increase" eliminates ambiguity.

Specifically, is the increase part of the annual Membership Program, or was it an additional increase beyond that specified in the annual Program? By using the terminology "annual increase", it is understood it pertains to the annual Program and is not due to off-cycle or supplemental increases. That is an important distinction.

As demonstrated in the Dictionary definition, we are both correct. Using the word "annual" can imply an increase corresponding to a calendar year (i.e. the 2016 ARRL Program increase) or it may imply annual increases every year.

Since it was actually declared in my post that there was no increases for many years, it would be logical to presume I was referring to the 2016 increase rather than yearly increases.

I will give you the last word on this interesting dispute involving word usage.

WF9Q likes this.
  7. NN4RH

I didn't call anyone a nitwit.

I merely suggested a way that someone could appear to be one, if someone wanted to exercise that option..

Oh, and it was "petty nitwit" not just "nitwit".

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

All I wanna know... which post did the comment respond to? That's all.

By the way - I think of you a few times a year when I see your avatar seed thingy in the wild.... oak? other hardwood?

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  9. NN4RH

The one that I quoted in my post 213.

Do you have 'OIK on ignore, maybe? Then you might not see the quote.

Seed pod of the American Sweetgum tree. Two large trees in the front yard. I have to rake up about 40 bags of the things every year usually in December.

10. NN4RH

Yeah that's it. When you put someone on Ignore you not only do not see that person's posts, but also do not see quotes of their posts.

11. W7UUU

haha! Yeah - the "ignore" thingy is so much better now.... my bad. Just had no idea, cuz I don't see his posts anymore. Sorry - that's why I missed the reference - NOT the first time. I gotta pay more attention.

That's it! I actually remember asking that before - years ago! I see them somewhere here in the PNW.... very unmistakable and totally relate to your Avatar here... :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KU4X likes this.
  13. KM6CS

KM6CS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry...Missed that but at 70 years old possibly making it to 80 would be $122.50! Not a deal breaker!

14. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Only ex
    Only expensive if you do not know how to HomeBrew or buy used gear and maintain it yourself..
    I probably have over 150K worth of gear lucky if anyone ever got more then $20k from me for it...

15. N3PZZ

N3PZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You sound like a true amateur, congrats!
    But let's say the average amateur, for what ever reason can't home brew.
    Can't afford an extra few dollars to send equipment out for repair.
    As for me, I repair when I can.
    It's still expensive.
    There are a lot of reason's why it can be.
    I won't get into any one's personal issues here.
    But good for you!