ad: QSLWorks-1

ARRL Digital Membership $9.99/6 months

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC3DB, Jul 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KM5GJ

KM5GJ QRZ Lifetime Member #78 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Some of you have too much money to understand the meaning of my earlier statement. There are licensed amateur radio operators in this part of the world, who are living on only social security income of 840.00 per month. If you think you can live on that, pay your bills and support your family and still have 49.00 left over to give to the ARRL in the form of dues, please tell those folks how to do it. Fortunately, I am NOT in that financial condition.

My choice to not renew my ARRL membership is not based on any financial issue. Rather a broad spectrum of issues some of which I put within my bio here on QRZ. My desire here is not to vent my frustrations with the ARRL as I have none. I just wanted to express my support of the need for the ARRL to modernize and make available a digital edition at a lesser cost. They are a private, for profit business and doubt they will make any changes anyway. Further I doubt that I would subscribe to that service if it were made available.

K2ATJ likes this.
  2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yet I can't help but to wonder why someone smart enough to pass a Extra class license test can't think of ways to make extra income. If you're living off of 840 a month, that's your choice, or the choices you made to get there.

I do notice however you can still afford a couple grand for toys. "My new Icom IC-7300 SDR radio came in April 1st, 2016. "

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    WF9Q, WU2F and KG7VTO like this.
  3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW Charles, reviewed some your zed bio. I had that same letter from the ARRL VE folks saying not "enough recent experience". Turns out there was some error in the system, and a brief email fixed it. Someone there didn't know how to look up VE counts, but they resolved it quickly. I certainly wouldn't have "quit" the ARRL over a single oops.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  4. WU2F

WU2F Ham Member QRZ Page

Deleted.

5. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Burt, I know you're not a dummy, write your "nnnnnn" message and click the "Post Reply" button. Now, go back and try to remove the message. Your next step is to re-read my messages to you about it. Here's an out for you: Say it was a troll joke all along and you were just having some fun otherwise I am concerned about what's happening to your brain as you're getting older.

6. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

"I think if you gave up buying 1 coffee at the local convenience store per month would take care of it. It all comes down to priority of what is more important and what organizations you support."

I love this argument! Everybody's been telling me to skip my morning cup of coffee to pay for higher gas, or more expensive food, or rent for ten years now! I'm at negative six cups of coffee a day and feel GREAT!

K2NCC and WF9Q like this.
  7. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

That is only because I WORK many more hours than most would even consider doing.

8. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not so stupid to write a message and then hit "Post Reply" if I didn't mean it. But say it was a troll joke all along and you were just having some fun otherwise I am concerned about what's happening to your brain as you're getting older

9. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, was not aware of that one until now.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can attest to being at both extremes during my 61 years.

Being poor sucks.

However, when I was poor, and thus did NOT pay ARRL dues, I had friends who would invite me to operate and were happy to let me read QST.

I never felt, 30++ years ago, the ARRL should accommodate my modest circumstances...and dont feel that way now either.

K3SX, K1OIK and WF9Q like this.
  11. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

Please post where you found 5 Ham Magazines...

OK. Electric Radio, National Contest Journal, QST, CQ, and RadCom as someone else posted...

John K7FD

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

JUST TO CLARIFY, IF you are in very modest circumstances, paying dues to the ARRL, in any form, should NOT be on your list of priorities. That's my opinion.

I support a 'retired' dues break, but not one based on age nor income.

Your opinion may differ--and probably does.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No, they are a non-profit charity.

Jeeeeeez! Get real!

14. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Surely the posting of one or two words to erase a bad message can't have you this animated. Usually in a circumstance where a person such as yourself becomes so insistent over something this trivial, it belies some sort of deep resentment. I'm willing to stipulate you're much smarter than I am if it helps.

15. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I can understand your position and sympathize but I have to point out that as you say that, I see you're a life member of QRZ/Platinum Subscriber which was not cheap. I support your position not to pay that outrageous price for ARRL membership, but on principle your legs are a bit wobbly.