ad: M2Ant-1

ARRL CEO Howard Michel (WB2ITX)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Mar 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

NO NO The arrl and Howard would say that would be to hard , just make up your own call or handle . 10-4

2. N7AOK

N7AOK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL is trying to turn the hobby into "a participation license". Gee that sounds like what the millennial's think, every hobby should be, talent, no work, no strife, no dedication just participate and you are rewarded. Say no to RM-11828.

Don't kid yourself, this is about money folks. Manufacturers money.

ND6M likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's news to me.

Although the last I checked, the essential fluid of money was the life blood of free markets--- in the US based free market society. That is the fluid that 'gives the people what they want'. Its amusing to see that posed as some negative.

Let's assume, for the moment, that the driving objective is to 'sell HF radios'. Three years ago I did a survey, which revealed there was a large--and growing-- pool of used HF radios, with good to excellent utility for 'newbies', that could be had for as little as $200. The used xcvr market continues to corroborate this. Great hardware, amazing prices.

Here's one on QRZed that is selling, RIGHT NOW, for $239---

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/x1m-pro-qrp-ssb-cw-5-band-hf-tranceiver.652867/

Now, the last I checked, manufacturers of NEW radios realize no financial gain from USED radios. So invoking some manufacturer driven--shall we assume greed driven-- motivation just doesn't add up to the reality: Techs can buy cheap, great radios that are USED, and probably do and will.

Can you provide some links so we can see the facts that support this series of (your) assertions?

Many of us like to get facts and THEN make up our OWN minds:) Its OK to put the burden of thought and decision on the individual.

Always eager to learn. Many thanks!

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    AF6TC, N2AMM, KD8LHR and 1 other person like this.
  4. KD4LT

If a CEO from the ARRL offers you some Kool-Aid don't drink it !

5. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, all true, especially the "use it or lose it". But, the incentive to upgrade used to be to earn additional HF privileges. If there are less and less people upgrading, it must mean the Techs aren't interested in getting on HF Phone. Our hobby has expanded away from HF Phone exponentially over the years, and maybe there just isn't the interest there used to be. If nobody fills the ranks as boomers go SK, will anyone notice? Give Techs all the HF privileges you want, if there's no interest, HF will die a slow and painful death despite the ARRL's efforts to revive it.

KD8LHR likes this.
  6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad we agree on "use it or lose it", and I don't disagree with the statement "Our hobby has expanded away from HF Phone", but that applies to ALL classes of license.

Right now, and in the predicted future, due to nature, lack of solar activity, daily 10 meter propagation assumes the qualities of 6m VHF in a better era. Tech privileges today do not exist on any lower frequency bands for any practical non-local communications use using anything except Morse code CW, a mode / manual skill that isn't even required for ANY license class any more.

That existing HF CW privilege / incentive is nonsensically obsolete. Is it supposed to drive the use of CW code readers and Morse keyboard sending apps? :confused: Yeah, just learn The Code :rolleyes:, dead-horse, RIP.

So expanding Tech (ie, the new Novice) privileges a small amount to enable the experience of lower HF propagation on other modes seems beneficial to me. Not necessarily even for Phone, but hey, why not a little? I think today's Tech's would be and are VERY interested in obtaining lower band digital mode privileges, and once experiencing their use with the "magic" of HF propagation, would feel that old incentive and be motivated to upgrade for using more HF spectrum.

Heck just giving today's Techs their own singular FT8 channels on 80, 40, and 15m, sort of mimicking the old Novice band HF allocations, I bet would be wildly popular and inspirational for upgrades.

When not playing on FT8, they would undoubtedly spin the knob and tune around the band, hearing Phone "rag chew" conversations, exotic DX pileups, decode free form QSO's on other digi modes, perhaps even be intrigued by CW QSO's. Hmmmm.

New amateur HF digi modes will continue to be developed, and that may mean some day perhaps the (increasingly vacant) HF Phone segments ought to be refarmed to suit :eek: or better, the whole band expanded to accommodate all the new Tech activity ;)!

73, John, WØPV

NL7W, N4QX, W1YW and 2 others like this.
  7. N2SUB

I didn't say whether I was for or against expanding privileges, I just stated that if the interest wasn't there it wouldn't make a difference one way or the other. That seems pretty obvious. Maybe you're right and Techs will spend gobs and gobs of money and time getting onto the HF bands. That'd be great. I wasn't looking for an argument.

N4QX and W0PV like this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I know you weren't rebutting :cool: and glad you responded, it enables me to expand on my thoughts. I do share some of the same concerns regarding the ultimate effectiveness of any Tech HF changes.

Its been stated that newer Techs are motivated to get HR licensed mostly out of interest in EMCOMM and/or being a "Prepper". They get an HT, try it out, find out there is not much going on with local repeaters, then put it and any underdeveloped skills on the shelf.

It seems they are being misled that the full scope of EMCOMM and being fully Prepped only requires non-HF knowledge and verbal skills. A look at recent history of hurricane Maria would easily show the fallacy and false security of that.

So IMO, giving Tech's an opportunity without further regulatory exam "cost" to try a bit more modern HF operation would set them up toward preparing for a deeper wider scope of disastrous loss of infrastructure.

Of course, so would a license upgrade, but these newcomers to radio, distracted by other modern personal technologies, with only historical references, need to feel It, The Magic, as many of us felt It as Novices. We used CW Morse for those simple first intro HF QSO's, but certainly a mode like FT8 is a suitable, if not better, replacement in today's world.

Couple changed Tech license permissions to use a bit more HF with the diverse action they are likely to encounter on HF every day (unlike FM repeaters) hopefully produces more engagement, less reasons to go dormant.

Emphasize that real EMCOMM / Preppers, like those that helped during Maria, get on-the-air, including HF, frequently, not just Field Day. That could offer more tangible encouragement for them to consider upgrades, to deepen and keep those different skills fresh.

WA8FOZ and W1YW like this.
  9. N2SUB

Why aren't we looking at it like other countries? Give Techs privileges on HF, but limit their power. They'll get a feel for it and want to upgrade to use more power and work more stations. In the event of an ecomm situation, or any catastrophic even, they simply turn up the RF out button. I think we can count on most hams to use the honor system, and will operate within the guidelines for power. It works in other countries.....why not here??

Everyone complains about CW, which always somehow gets lopped into this debate, but honestly if I were a prepper I'd be secretly learning CW in my basement. ;) In a real ecomm situation, especially when there's little or no power, I'm grabbing my key as a measure of conservation. Believe me, someone will be listening.

W0PV likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a great example of how the ARRL is trying to inform and assist newbies---presumably Techs-- to help them get and stay radio-active.

Chip W1YW

---------------------------------------------------------

http://www.arrl.org/news/so-now-what-1

11. KD4LT

And get more dues

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

kl7lt.JPG
    Look:

I don't know what your 'beef' is with the ARRL. You seem to support them as your bio picture prominently has an ARRL LICENSE PLATE FRAME on the wall (ABOVE).

(--Even I don't have an ARRL license plate frame.--)

I don't engage with people who contradict themselves.

Here it is (your picture):

[​IMG]

If you WANT to disparage this non-profit, without any presented motivation or fact, just keep me out of it.

Your comments are your comments and IMO don't need any allusion to mine, or any other fact-based statements.

Best of luck to you.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    WU8Y and K4FMH like this.
  13. N5TZH

N5TZH Ham Member QRZ Page

arrl is no friend to ham radio all they are worried about is more member ship dues

14. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Think that one through a little more.

The currently (licensed for HF) Amateurs don't even follow current rules regarding power output

The "most" caveat noted.

15. NM0O

NM0O Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not about "buying into the ARRL"; it has to do with being on the team. Many people want the ARRL to continue effectively representing our interests. Unfortunately, many other folks seem content simply to throw stones. How exactly does that help us advance the numbers and positive impact of our hobby? After 41 years as a member of ARRL, I'm not unhappy with how the League gets things done.

WU8Y, W1YW and KS2G like this.