ad: M2Ant-1

ARRL Board Approves Dues Hike - $10 increase

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1GIV, Jul 23, 2015.

1. W1GIV

W1GIV Guest

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/arrl-...and-plan-2016-national-parks-centennial-event

2. W5DAJ

W5DAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess it's a good idea to get ahead a few years before the price increase.

3. K9PLG

K9PLG Ham Member QRZ Page

It's due since I heard they have not increased it since 2001. Glad I renewed for 3 years @ Dayton this year.... Just in time to beat this increase. I really Wish they offered a 5 or even a 10 year option since the only other option is lifetime and I cannot afford that one. Have also seen others suggest a reduced rate of lifetime membership fee for those over 65 because in reality they won't be around as long as someone younger, but you never know. I feel this hobby might help keep our minds working better longer due to the constant learning and many facets, but not necessarily our bodies which is probably more lifestyle / diet / genetics related.

4. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K9PLG,
    They have an installment plan that allows you to spread the payments out. I was in the middle of a 3 year membership when I decided to go 'Life'. After I started the plan I emailed them about my remaining 3 year membership and they applied it to the balance remaining on my 'Life' installment plan. You can also make higher installment payments than the minimum. Once I got it down to a reasonable amount, I made a lump sum payment and was done with the payments. They are very flexible about getting your money. :)
    Mike

5. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have not always agreed with ARRL but for all you get, another $10 after all these years does not seem bad at all.

6. W5SMI

W5SMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I'll just keep my money.

7. N2RON

N2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I will keep my money too...The QST meg has so much ad's in it too

KF5RHI likes this.
  8. N2AMM

N2AMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got my renewal notice. Looking for the cheapest way out of this dilemma? lol

9. K4RAF

K4RAF Ham Member QRZ Page

Who ever said you can't make money on Ham Radio?
    The ARRL is worth a few $M

10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Sheesh. It's like hams are cheap or something.

I have no problem with the increase, the value of the dollar has changed over the past few years if you haven't noticed.

Steve
    KV6O

11. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I also got an email ARRL membership renewal notice, today, for November 2015!

I was thinking of looking at my digital QST again, for relevancy. I was thinking, instead, to purchase every issue of World Radio.

I purchased the World Radio article based paperback "Kurt Speaks Out". If he could stop writing in "the third person" I would like his written communication more. At least, I didn't feel I wasted my money.

Over my early years, I purchased ARRL published books. Each one was only an "introduction" without "how to" do anything about the promise of that book. I felt I wasted my money.

I didn't see ARRL have a "win" in any dealings with the FCC, either.

Is there some "win"?

I paid one-year membership because I wanted an archived Review from QST. That was a hefty fee to get at a digital copy.

I admit, I also thought I would look around the ARRL website, more, as a member. I didn't see anything for paid membership.

I think it is wrong for ARRL to assert the ARRL represents all radio amateurs in the USA.

It does not represent me: I feel that the ARRL promotes OM and denigates YL and XYL's by perpetuating all that OM and "ragchew" "talk" I hate.

For that matter, I thought ARRL fought keeping the Morse Code license requirement long after it was abandoned to keep amateur radio as a "club" with all that "Readysnitch" and "Woulfhong" whatever OM's private "club" accutrement.

The Morse Code requirement kept me back from an amateur radio license, for many years.

Finally, I had a handicapped accomodation exam I passed. I think it was one of the last Morse Code exams.

Don't get me started on Handi-hams.

Help was rejected, because I am not blind. I am "only" print-handicapped, that and disabled by neurological impairments.

The fact I am handicapped, got me an accomodation exam, I had never once heard of before.

From the earliest years, I was told amateur radio was for boys: no babysitter for cub scouts I had to sit on the sidelines. Slightly older, I got to "share" an old Technician's Class license to "help" build stuff only to be told amateur radio exams are for boys.

Lastly, handicapped Handi-Ham sent me an email I don't qualify for their help.

Along came a radio amateur, that said, hey, there are handicapped accomodation exams.

He was near deaf.

There you are: in my senior years, I finally got my General Class license.

The ARRL man even refused to do anything about interferance with a repeater.

What is there to "like"?

I was thinking my money would be well-spent on QRZ.com membership.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015