ad: Alphaant-1

Antennapalooza : Radio communication for overlanding

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by VK3FUR, Apr 19, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VK3FUR

VK3FUR Ham Member QRZ Page

vlcsnap-2023-04-19-08h49m52s291.png

Considerations when travelling to remote locations. Find out all the interesting and fun things you can do when you combine a love of radio with a love of overlanding.

KL7KN likes this.
  2. KN4OK

KN4OK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am an overlander here in the USA and thanks for the video.

VK3FUR likes this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

If the presenter had actually covered antennas - it would have been a better use of time.

OK for very, very new/non-technical hams.

4. VK3FUR

Anything more specifically you'd like to know about antennas? Everyones needs are very different. We use a Diamond HF30CL for APRS as we don't need to change bands often on that radio and a Codan 9350 auto tuning antenna for our general purpose radio.

For monopole antennas on cars you generally want center or top loaded antennas to improve efficiency and bond everything in the car to make a good ground plane (every panel, bull bar, frame to cab, exhaust)

KL7KN likes this.
  5. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

For a presentation called Antenna-palooza, it was the one thing not covered - antennas.

I see the occasional "Overlander" video, as brave people travel across the wilds of Utah or Arizona on BLM/Forest Service maintained roads in large, heavily modified 4X4 ($x$) trucks- only to see the same road traveled (on a different channel) by an old guy in a stock 1965 VW Transporter. You tube - all about the click$.... Not to be confused with these lunatics.
    (rock crawling)

In OZ, Overlanding is a different matter altogether - I understand that..

K0UO likes this.
  6. VK3FUR

Ah, the event is called antennapalooza. There are many other talks, some covering antennas, others not.