ad: Radclub22-1

Adirondack SOTA activity weekend

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KN3O, Mar 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

Cross post of an email I sent out to the regional top activators. Trying to reach as many as possible for a fun outing this fall:

Dear SOTA operators,

I had posted on the SOTA reflector last fall about organizing a major SOTA weekend in the Adirondacks of New York this fall. It was recommended I email all the "top ops" in the surrounding region to drum up participants.

The idea is to get as many SOTA operators into the Adirondack Mountains on a weekend. This spur of activity would encourage a lot of S2S activity, even on VHF, as well as put a plethora of points available for chasers. As a side goal, it would be nice to see some first activations in the area as there are quite a few trailed summits that remain unactivated (even 10 pointers).

Part of the goal would be for a SOTA face-to-face gathering for those interested, and perhaps camping in a NY DEC campground together.

It's rather early to talk about the fall, it easier to block off something like this from busy calendars now than it is to try to fit an event into an already full schedule. The plan is for something in the September-October timeframe.

I'm hoping for a big turnout, enough so that everyone can pick out summits and coordinate.

For now, all I'm looking for anyone who is interested just to reply letting me know. Even if you are just remotely interested, please let me know via email (wxduff@gmail.com)

If you don't think a trip to the Adirondacks is feasible but would be willing to activate closer to home, feel free to shoot me an email as well so I can let you know what weekend is settled upon to allow you to join the fun and increase the S2S potential.

I will be compiling a list of interested parties between those who respond to this email, the SOTA reflector, and any facebook groups. Because I only sent this email to the top 20 of the regions 4 associations, please feel free to pass this along to anyone else you know is active who might have not made my list, local clubs, qrp groups, etc. Just make sure any interested parties let me know so I can try to coordinate the group!

Thanks,
    Evan Duffey - KN3O (N3TWM until a week ago)

2. KD2JRP

KD2JRP Ham Member QRZ Page

I will pass it along to the club Tryon in Johnstown New York

3. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

The date for this has been set to September 8-9, which is a NA SOTA activity weekend and the ARRL VHF contest weekend (HF bands won't be crowded and opportunities to make contacts on simpler equipment.