ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Adam Farson AB4OJ/VA7OJ SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by G1MHU, Mar 19, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G1MHU

G1MHU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi folks..
    I am wondering why this has not been reported here?

Adam Farson, the guy that wrote many excellent technical review's about lots of radio's has passed away.
    He was a great guy, he would personally answer emails with any queries, he was very active on many support groups for many radio types.. He was one of the good guys..

Sad to report that AB4OJ/VA7OJ Adam Farson is SK
    https://www.qrz.com/db/AB4OJ/SK2024?aliasFrom=AB4OJ

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    KW4BY likes this.
  2. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He certainly was. His technical reviews were top notch. Much better than just the raw numbers reported by Sherwood.

3. DG9KAF

DG9KAF Ham Member QRZ Page

My love for old and current Icom transceivers made me aware of Adam's moderated groups and publications. At some point a personal email exchange took place.
    I have rarely met such a friendly, experienced, calm and helpful old man. Definitely a great loss for our community. We will miss him.
    Thank you for everything and rest in peace Adam.

4. KK5DR

KK5DR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am Matt Erickson KK5DR. I was a close personal friend of Adam Farson VA7OJ/AB7OJ.
    I first met Adam on the air on the Icom users net in 1989.
    Sadly, Adam became ill the first of January this year, he spent 33days in hospital. The hospital released him to his home, but a week later he had a relapse of Pneumonia.
    The final text message I received from Adam was “ I Relapse.”
    Less than 12hrs later, Adam fell into a coma with severe brain damage, due to oxygen deprivation. He was not expected to live long.
    On the morning of March 12, 2024, Adam let got his grip on life, and passed.
    He is now buried in the Jewish cemetery in Surrey B.C.
    Adam was the smartest, most intelligent man I’ve ever met.
    He referred to me as “His dearest friend”. I can say the same. His passing has caused me deep pain, as it was when my own father passed.
    I long to be able to pick my phone, call him, and chat for hours. Or we would do the same on 17 or 20mtrs, usually on Sundays.
    His website will continue for a few more years. The NSARC, the club Adam was a long time member and officer in, will maintain the site, but it will not continue indefinitely. My advice, save all you want from his site whiles it lasts. Adam’s site is a great resource of radio info. Use it before it’s gone.
    We shall never see his like again.
    Rest in peace Adam, I will miss you till I see you again, in my time.

KW4BY and K2XT like this.
  5. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

sad news... Adams' site was extremely helpfull when I was deciding on an IC9100
    We exchanged a few emails where he graciously answered a few questions I had.
    Thanks to Adams input, next day I ordered the 9100, my first brand new radio.

6. VK4BG

VK4BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sad news. I had many email exchanges with Adam over the years, and he was always very helpful and willing to explain things. A big loss to the AR Community. RIP Adam

Glenn
    VK4BG

7. WD5GWY

WD5GWY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very sad news. He helped many people with his informative answers to many people's questions.
    James
    WD5GWY

8. W1RC

W1RC Subscriber QRZ Page

Adam was a real fount of knowledge on ICOM radios. He collected and drafted countless documents with useful information on their care and operation. He will live on through his work. Our hamfest, The New England Amateur Radio Festival, aka NEAR-Fest would like to offer server space free of charge to keep Adam’s web page and work online should it need a permanent home.
    RIP Adam!
    MisterMike, W1RC

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
  9. VE3GON

VE3GON Ham Member QRZ Page

It is with great sadness that I see this report of Adam's passing. If I hadn't been surfing the net I would never have come across it. I new Adam back in the late 70's early 80's in Toronto. He was quite the fellow and always helpful to me in any way he could. I was just a newby "ham" and I sure didn''t know much about radio. Still don't but that's ok. Adam thankyou for anything I did learn from you and I will miss you greatly. I know you hated winter but tolerated it. Your mother was a very nice lady and I will miss her too. So Adam this is 73 for now but we will meet again someday I hope. Our last meeting being the Dayton Hamvention in the old Hara Arena in Dayton Ohio many years ago. Take care my friend .Until we meet again Best 73.

Gil Nelson
    VE3GON

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  10. ZL3DW

ZL3DW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am very sad to hear the news that Adam has passed on, we emailed regularly about SDR technology and radio testing. I consider him a mentor and a friend, although we never met. He was always very helpful when I was confused about a technical aspect. I hope that someone will maintain the legacy of his transceiver reports and the technical papers published on his website.
    I know that he had been working on a lab report for the Icom IC-905, so I am including a dedication to him in my forthcoming book about the radio.

Andrew Barron
    ZL3DW

11. 4X1SK

4X1SK Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

VR2XMC likes this.
  12. G1MHU

G1MHU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

13. KW4BY

KW4BY Ham Member QRZ Page

i knew Adam from the PBCARC rest in peace