ad: ProAudio-1

ACMA cancels Amateur Radio licence

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

ACMA cancels Amateur Radio licence

The Australian Communications and Media Authority has canceled an amateur radio station licence following an investigation that uncovered continuing breaches by the licensee.

Under the Radiocommunications Act 1992, the ACMA can suspend or cancel an amateur licence if the licensee contravenes a condition of the licence. In the case of the recent cancellation, crucial information was provided by other radio amateurs that alerted the ACMA to the ongoing non-compliance and assisted the investigation.

In this case, the breaches included causing interference to other stations, failing to use a call sign and transmitting an unmodulated carrier.

The ACMA made the decision to cancel the amateur licence when other compliance and enforcement measures had failed. The ACMA say in their reporting that every effort had been made to assist, encourage and educate the licensee to understand the importance of compliance with licence conditions. Despite repeated warnings to the licensee, the ACMA found that non-compliance continued over an extended period of time.

The WIA has welcomed the action taken by the ACMA. "While it is extremely unusual for amateurs to ignore their obligation to comply with the law, the fact is that there have been instances of extreme behaviour that requires enforcement action. This action by the ACMA should remind us all that it will act when necessary" said WIA President, Michael Owen VK3KI.

It is good to see the Australian regulator acting to enforce Amateur Radio regulations. In the UK, it would appear that in recent years, not a single Radio Amateur has been prosecuted, fined or had their licence withdrawn.

OFCOM Radio Prosecution Statistics
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/may2010/ofcom_prosecutions.htm

Get Southgate Amateur Radio News by Email

Don't wait all week for the news!
    Amateur Radio News - updated daily - 365 days per year

2. WB4AEJ

WB4AEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why don't they tell us who the individual was?

Fred, WB4AEJ

3. GI0AQD

GI0AQD Ham Member QRZ Page

NORTHERN IRELAND INTERFERENCE,

IT IS GOOD TO SEE SOMEONE DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THE SO CALLED HAMS WHO DO THIS SORT OF THING .I VERY MUCH WISH SOME THING WOULD GET DONE IN NORTHERN IRELAND ABOUT BREACHES INCLUDEING CALL SIGNS THEY JUST MAKE UP, OR NO CALL SIGNS CAUSING INTERFERENCE,
    UNMODULATED, CARRIERS AND MUCH MUCH MORE.GI0AQD DAVID

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  4. VK2AKG

VK2AKG Ham Member QRZ Page

privacy laws.

73 Frank vk2akg

5. AH6OY

AH6OY Ham Member QRZ Page

OK it's easy then to understand some privacy law dropping the name, but how about what the operator was doing to violate the regulations. Liking this story to a news paper front page like this being on the front page of QRZ then it would be like the front page saying a policeman made an arrest today and end of story.

6. W7BEC

W7BEC Ham Member QRZ Page

According to today's Amateur Radio Newsline he was operating at 3100 watts while the legal limit for his license was 500 watts. :eek:

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like he posted the reasons:
    Bryan WA7PRC

8. GW7AAV

GW7AAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I know some of you guys don't get out much but New Zealand is not Australia. Different country and case OM. Suggest you buy a atlas or consult Google maps.

9. W7JZE

W7JZE QRZ Lifetime Member #84 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Amateur bitten by YouTube

Copied from abt 1/4 of the way down the page:

http://www.cqhq.co.uk/

Lots more at the above linked site

[​IMG]When will people learn? Bragging about doing daft things that also happen to be illegal is going to get you in trouble. Alan Potter (no relation to Harry), ZL3II has just been fined $1750 ($1164 USD) and $130 ($86 USD) and had his equipment confiscated for costs for running 3.1 kilowatts, which is slightly more than the 500 watts his New Zealand licence allowed. The problem was Alan posted a video on YouTube. Bad move Alan... (more...)...

10. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Bad Hams

To paraphrase Mark Twain:

God loves a fool;
    God protects a damned fool;
    But nobody loves a God Damned Fool.

To further quote another criminal of American past:
    I'm too smart for them. They'll never catch me.
    --- John Dillinger

I personally think that the punishment fits the crime, at least in most cases.:D

73! de

11. W7BEC

W7BEC Ham Member QRZ Page

Oops. I think it's a reading comprehension thing... :eek:

12. VK2IVA

VK2IVA QRZ Member

New Zealand is just across a large pond from Australia ,we can allmost see their antennae masts from the Sydney Harbour bridge.lol.

13. WB4AEJ

WB4AEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You've got to be kidding. He willfully violates the law and the law says that it is not public information?

In the U.S., they publish most arrests in the local paper and give the name and usually the address of the offender.

That is something you need to work to change.

I spent two wonderful weeks Down Under. I think your people are terrific and I'd stand together with you on a lot of things. Please don't misunderstand. I don't mean to come down on Australia. I mean to come down on someone who violates the law in such a blatant manner. The ham community deserves to know who it is.

Regards,

Fred, WB4AEJ (ex-VK3ESS)

14. VK2LAW

VK2LAW Ham Member QRZ Page

ACMA Cancels Amateur Licence

The President of The Wireless Institute of Australia explains the cancellation here:

http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2010/20100529-1/index.php

Date : 29 / 05 / 2010
    Author : Michael Owen - VK3KI

The Australian Communications and Media Authority has cancelled an amateur station licence following an investigation that uncovered continuing breaches by the licensee. Under the Radiocommunications Act 1992, the ACMA can suspend or cancel an amateur licence if the licensee contravenes a condition of the licence. In the case of the recent cancellation, crucial information was provided by other radio amateurs that alerted the ACMA to the ongoing non-compliance and assisted the investigation.

In this case, the breaches included causing interference to other stations, failing to use a call sign and transmitting an unmodulated carrier. The ACMA made the decision to cancel the amateur licence when other compliance and enforcement measures had failed. The ACMA say in their reporting that every effort had been made to assist, encourage and educate the licensee to understand the importance of compliance with licence conditions. Despite repeated warnings to the licensee, the ACMA found that non-compliance continued over an extended period of time.

The WIA has welcomed the action taken by the ACMA. "While it is extremely unusual for amateurs to ignore their obligation to comply with the law, the fact is that there have been instances of extreme behaviour that requires enforcement action. This action by the ACMA should remind us all that it will act when necessary" said WIA President, Michael Owen VK3KI.

Just to clarify any confusion of the news between the ZL QRO op and the bad apple VK.

Jason
    VK2LAW

15. VK4QO

VK4QO Ham Member QRZ Page

POWER OUTPUT

just to end this , Australia Amateurs are only allowed 400w px, we are on the low power , so antennas are a very important to get as much db gain so we can get through the dogpiles, over 3000w would stand out here in VK.
    So no wonder the station was caught.
    And I do not know the call sign of the offender.

RON VK4QO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.