ad: Radclub22-1

A real POTA activation with PoLo

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by LB0FI, Mar 18, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. LB0FI

LB0FI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last week I showed you how PoLo is a great portable logger by giving a mock demonstration in the studio, but that does not show how well the app works. So here's a new video showing how the app works in real time during a POTA activation.

2E0TWD, WZ7H, VK4NBR and 19 others like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

^ looks like Ricky from Trailer Park Boys

N8UPC, KT4ZE, DO9VA and 4 others like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

"MARCO..."

AD4ZU and N8TGQ like this.
  4. WQ1C

WQ1C Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like something I might be able to use when I start activating some parks. With the problems that HAMRS has currently, I'm definitely looking at trying something else. Of course, the backup would simply be paper and pen/pencil.

5. AE8EM

AE8EM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What problems are you having with HAMRS?

6. WQ1C

WQ1C Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't say that I was using it. However, a lot of other hams are having issues with it - that's what I'm referring to. Because of said issues, I do not plan to ever use HAMRS due to the risk of losing my POTA logs at any time, among other things.

7. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

In my roughly 2 years of using HAMRS, that was a one time event and the logs were restored when the author resolved the issue.
    BTW, it wasn't a HAMRS-generated issue, it was the result of Google changing some of their Android libraries. Once the author figured out what broke, he pushed out another update and everyone's "lost" logs reappeared.

I do wish I could save my HAMRS database and transfer it to other phones. I lost a lot of archived SOTA activations when I moved to a new phone. But since I submit my logs as soon as I return home, nothing was truly "lost", I just don't have them on my phone anymore.

While I'm generally satisfied with HAMRS, I'd like to check out this new logger, but I'll be damned if I can find it on the Google Play store.

Chris

W1NV and KL7KN like this.
  8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I see where Google (Al Fa Bet) is being sued by the FedGov on account of Google play - something about a monopoly and squeezing out small/new players....

9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

They're going after Apple's "Walled Garden" as well.

Chris

10. KQ4AFY

KQ4AFY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's still currently in Early Access mode so you have to join the Google Group using the same account you install on your phone. The information is on the Discord server.

11. KD3MAD

KD3MAD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Few minutes just tinkering, and this app is outstanding. Will be offering my feedback on data entry as a tester, but great start! You cannot please everyone, but initial indications are that this app will please most!

12. N7JRR

N7JRR Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like it's only beta on Google Play, no IOS version?

13. KD3MAD

KD3MAD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Having permissions from the author, KI2D - Sebastian, you can find more information at the "official" page at https://ham2k.com/apps/polo. Plus it has the links.

14. KI5KT

KI5KT Ham Member QRZ Page

Very slick. My fat fingers would necessitate using a tablet. I'd make a mess of trying to quickly type in a callsign on my phone. But that looks great. Great video, too!

15. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Mrs. McDowell to thank, my 1st grade teacher from good old Public School 106. She taught me to print. I POTA log with pencil and paper. Even in wind and rain, I have never lost a log.