ad: Radclub22-1

A.R.E.S / R.A.C.E.S. Jump bag

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WM5L, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wa1esu @ May 05 2004,10:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">DON'T FORGET TOILET PAPER AND SOME TYPE OF WATERLESS HAND CLEANER.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Baby wipes. They'll clean anything off of anything, and won't do your skin any harm either. Just don't flush them, unless you have the flushable kind.

2. N7CTR

N7CTR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All;

There is one item that I highly reccomend gets added to your jump bag.  The instruction manual for your HT, or primary radio.  With so many bells and whistles these days it can be pretty easy to put the radio into some mode that can inhibit communications.  An instruction manual can be priceless.

R. Cook KB3ICH
    Safety Officer, San Bernardino County Emergency Comm. Service.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

The jump kits sound good, but no one included my essential VANNA. Or you could just move here where we don't have any emegencies----- [​IMG]

TOM K8ERV

4. KB3KBR

KB3KBR Ham Member QRZ Page

Another good thing to add would be a scanner to listen to when things aren't so hairy.

5. KC8PMX

KC8PMX QRZ Member

Now I don't know about you, but in my case, funds are drastically limited.  Some of the items listed in some or all of the posted lists are rather expensive, and in some of the cases, those items may serve in multiple capacities and not stored in a jump kit.

However, I DO have a list of where each and every one of these items that I use when needing a jumokit.  Make a list of the items you need, and their last known location so that you can grab the items in an emergency.

In a perfect world, with a incredibly funded ARES/RACES group, there would be pre-assembled jumpkits for one to "check-out" but obviously that is more of a dream than reality.  However, it is a good goal for groups to look at! [​IMG]

Ryan KC8PMX
    FF1/FF2/MFR

6. KD5NRH

KD5NRH Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (tater1337 @ May 04 2004,07:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">12v powered battery charger (for AA and such)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    FWIW, some WalMarts have a 12VDC/120VAC AA charger now.  Look around in the photo section, since IIRC it's marked as a digital camera travel charger.  It comes with both a lighter plug and a wall wart.

OTOH, there are those among us with inverters mounted in our cars for just such a problem  [​IMG]

7. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

>>...You need 25 watts or better into a GOOD, GAIN antenna for most of your work no matter where you are...

I learned a long time ago to NEVER use absolutes...(grin)

We worked support for the horrendous fires in SoCA last December using HTs - but we have a very efficient repeater system set up - with its own backup power. 2-5W worked the entire disaster.

Bottom Line: Check with those you will be working with/for for equipment recommendations. What is mandatory in one region may not be in another.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

8. N8ARY

N8ARY Ham Member QRZ Page

One of those mini 60 watt dc-ac inverters is also useful.

9. KD7MIU

KD7MIU Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kd6piz @ May 04 2004,16:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">On the issue of the personnel not having com when they step away from their vehicle, or in the case of ht's being scratchy into the repeaters due to power or location I have one solution.  I have a 2m mobile that I can configure to act as either a simplex or duplex repeater.  So if I can't get into the repeater I'm working with my ht, I just put my ht to low power (naturally due to the fact that I'm usually within a mile of the vehicle) and configure my mobile to repeater mode to boost my signal into the particular repeater I'm using.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I just participated in an EWAC drill earlier today.  I had to set up communications at a decomtamination site.  From experience in past drills at this location I chose to use the mobile in my truck as a xband repeater.  This is the only way that an HT can be used at this location.  An HT is a must during this drill as we have to be fairly mobile at the site.

73's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.