ad: CQMM-1

A product warning to all ham operators

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KC7BYP, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC7BYP

KC7BYP Ham Member QRZ Page

A product warning to all Amateur Radio Operators. DO NOT use the Control/Contact cleaner & lubricant Radio Shack catalog #60-4315 on any radios, antenna tuners or any other switches in electronic equipment. This stuff is as BAD as using WD-40 on your equipment. The instructions on the can says it is good for, quote ”for Electro-mechanical devices, especially drum type TV tuners. Reduces wear and safe on most plastics”.
    I have an MFJ-989C antenna tuner. I got this stuff because my antenna tuner was showing signs of needing a cleaning. The tuner worked fine on all bands (80-10m) but the tuning was very touchy on transmit with the roller-inductor and noisy on receive. The antenna switch had to be wiggled to get good contact. I spraided this stuff in the tuner and my G5RV antenna self resonant frequency (with the tuner switched out) changed from it’s normal frequency of about 3.520 to 9.904 MHz. The best swr match I can now get at 3.970 MHz with the tuner in line after spraying this stuff in is a bit over 3 to 1. The other H.F. bands are just as bad. I had to take my backup antenna tuner (an MFJ-948 that I use when going camping) down from the top shelf and put that in line. The G5RV and the Hustler 4-BTV vertical antenna are back to normal. There is only one problem with using the backup tuner. The MFJ-948 is limited to a max of about 250 watts. The MFJ-989C can handle up to 1500 watts. I plain on buying an rf power amp. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this garbage out of my tuner?

2. K5BAQ

K5BAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tuner Cleaner

Try alcohol; not rubbing alcohol. That, I should think, would remove the petroleum residue on the tuner. Good luck. Sorry I am no expert on electronics.
    k5baq
    Ps If that does not work try the medicinal kind from the local corner liquor store. Only use this by mouth.. HAHA

3. VE1IDX

VE1IDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with using alcohol to clean out the residue. BTW, you should NEVER use a cleaner that leaves lubicating compounds behind when cleaning an antenna tuner. Use a good zero residue cleaner and lubricate the parts with a very slight film of a good quality grease such as lithium grease or silicone grease. The Radio Shack cleaner you used is not garbage,you just used it in the wrong place.

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe this will work

Try Brake cleaner from an auto parts store. removes grease & doesnt leave a residue :)

5. KI4WCA

KI4WCA Ham Member QRZ Page

Try Caig Deoxit.Rat Shacks has it in tiny spray cans.Worth every penny.Do not use it on pots!!!Metal to metal it rules.

6. AC0GR

AC0GR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, Deoxit D100L is incredible stuff for almost every metal/metal contact. Especially bandswitches, roller coils, tube pins/sockets, etc.

But be careful not to apply too much. I have never used the 5% spray, have only applied with swabs. General rule is that if you can -see- the red oil, you have applied too much.

Can also seem expensive, over $30/oz. last I knew, but one ounce will last a long long time.

7. W3JN

W3JN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a bad idea to clean switches by spraying ANYTHING on them. The preferred method is to wet down a q-tip or similar with DeOxit (or the Radio Shack cleaner), and dampen the rotor of the switch while turning it thru its range. This motion will both distribute the cleaner and the fingers will do the mechanical work.

8. NF9L

NF9L Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

Another for denatured alcohol, can be had at hardware stores. It is NOT the same as rubbing alcohol.

GL-
    Andrew

10. VE7DCW

VE7DCW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used the Radio Shack contact cleaner on many...many switches potentiometers,and even used on door bell solenoids with absolutely no ill effects or damage to these parts.I've just recently used it to clean the contacts on a mechanical neon sign flasher device... no problems...I suppose your results may vary... :confused:

11. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

CRC Contact Cleaner 2000 is great

It says leaves no residue

try this web site http://www.crcindustries.com/crcwebmain/

also stay away from Auto Zone Contact cleaner, EATS PLASTIC ! believe me I destroyed a printer once.

I will continue to buy CRC I have not found anything better yet.

Also read the can if the propellant on a can says butane don't buy it unless you are crazy, I watched a demo on a butane spray can, looked like a torch.

it pays to read the cans, also another great dusting product from 3M Dust remover I buy it at Sams Club in a club package a few things tend to show up like cobwebs on used stuff.

12. N4DES

N4DES Ham Member QRZ Page

13. K1LLR

K1LLR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

try brito

try brito,curly says its the cats meow,,nyuck nyuck:D:D:D

14. W4CBJ

W4CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

A product warning to all hsm operators

I found that the electronic cleaner spray can sold by NAPA is good stuff. Large can and good price. 73 Joe W4CBJ

15. KB2VXA

KB2VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, good old Blue Shower, highly recommended for removing Blue Stuff. Remember that? The reason why the EPA requirement is the chemical is DuPont Freon TE or TF, the CFC stuff we used in the vapor degreaser for cleaning PC boards after wave soldering. For defluxing after hand soldering Perc worked even better but you can't get that stuff anymore and the alcohol used now doesn't work nearly as well on rosin flux.

Pardon my digression, I'm just thinking how I used to toss TV tuners and other components in the machine and how they came out spotless. It sure beat rubber erasers but we've come full circle, once again those pink sticks from the stationery store work best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.