ad: MyersEng-1

73 Magazine: All issues now online

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA5ZNU, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool!

I worked Hussein and Wayne the first day Wayne was there at JY1. Worked em when I got home from school :) Everyone else at work.

Chip W1YW

2. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Speaking of JY1, do you guys remember Zadir and Zadan? They were a couple of JY's that used to be on the air together a lot in the mid 70's. I can't remember their calls, but one was a JY3, so he was pretty high up in the government.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I have a qsl from one of them...Zadan sounds famiiar.

People forget that Wayne broke JY for DX:)I remember the pileups/ WoooH!

Chip W1YW

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't, but that was a long time ago.

JY1 was the "one to catch" at the time as I recall.

But that was almost as long ago as working K7UGA/K3UIG, and I have cards from both of those.:eek:

5. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Absolutely!

Emails are private communications between individuals. QRZ does not allow the posting of private emails unless each party agrees.

.........Bob

6. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Who is Wayne Green? Here is some idea of what and who he is — and he is not a scientist... He may well be one of those, like Jim Bridger, who journalists wish they had known well enough to interview and write about before it was too late to make his knowledge useful to more people.

Check this out:

http://www.waynegreen.com/wayne/says.html#guide

Here is a good, 41-page PDF file called "Autobiography of an Ancient Aviator" offered on Wayne Green's webpage. Very interesting read for anyone interested in aviation and that advanced "science" of the early 1900's:

http://www.waynegreen.com/aviator.pdf

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  7. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Correction... I said above:

"Who is Wayne Green? Here is some idea of what and who he is — and he is not a scientist... He may well be one of those, like Jim Bridger, who journalists wish they had known well enough to interview and write about before it was too late to make his knowledge useful to more people.

"Check this out:

"http://www.waynegreen.com/wayne/says.html#guide"

While I said "and he is not a scientist" above, on that webpage it says that he has "a PHD in Entrepreneurial Science. " All things considered, who can argue with that???

8. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is some items I found on the Web about Wayne Green... Thanks to this Tread, I found out a lot of info about Wayne Green. He started a bunch of magazines like Byte and Run Magazine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_(magazine)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RUN_(magazine)
    http://www.cultofmac.com/40434/steve-thumbs-his-nose-at-the-apple-ii-recollections/
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9111800/Tech_visionary_Wayne_Green_Still_on_a_mission_

I got interested in computers because of Magazines like Run and Byte. I think Wayne Green publications contribute to the personal industry. Without magazines like those where would we be today?

The archiving of the 73 Magazines and copyright issues discuss in this thread points to a need of digital versions of Magazines. As a programmer I understand why they would want to protect their work.

CQ magazine is trying to meet this need, but I am not sure their approach will work (using Zinio, instead of a straight PDF). It appears they are worry about people sharing copies of the issues. This is for another thread about the best way to sell digital magazine to the community.

9. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There are several key questions which, despite the moderate period of time of this public announcement, are unanswered. As such I would be very wary of downloading ANY material from this alleged 'archive' of 73 Magazine:

1) Is there any evidence that efforts were made to identify and contact the copyright holder(s) of the collection? What is that evidence?

2) The individual(s) that placed this collection on archive.org are anonymous. Why? Is there some reason why we shouldn't know who you are? For example, if you have authorization to place this collection up for download, I am sure there are many,many folks who would like to thank you. Do you not have authorization?

3) Wayne Green, the former publisher, owner, editor, and columnist in various orders at various times, is accustomed to making his business activities well publicized so as to maximize exposure and thus sales. That's status quo for America, and a very good thing. Why do we not have Wayne Green endorsing this effort? If it is endorsed, can you show it to us?

4) If there is a failure or absence of authorization, and anonymonity is motivated by intent, the individual(s) posting the collection for archive --may-- be setting up those who download from the collection to exposure by complaint. Do these individual(s), and archive.org, indemnify the users against this possibility?

5) Where else has the collection been placed on the web, and why?

Chip W1YW

11. G0OIL

G0OIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Which shows the doubters that archive.org *DO* respect copyright holders when they choose to make a stink - as presumably CQ have. Rich W2VU posted a message earlier in this thread and I think he made his views pretty clear on the subject.

However I reiterate what I said earlier: once the genie is out of the bottle on the WWW there's little chance of putting him back in. Search the usual sites engaged in web piracy and you'll see what I mean. I for one bought the Ham Radio CD Roms from CQ as I think it's only right and proper to do so. I would buy the 73 archive if it was commercially available .... but it isn't

12. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

REF:
    "Where else has the collection been placed on the web, and why?

Chip W1YW "

How about let's just kick this bucket of worms down the road a bit...

Check out this website as it opens up many more possibilities for who to blame for putting people's "works of art, adventure and entrepreneurship" up for public consumption. A pretty complete review of offering literary works for downloading, etc., by KB9MWR:

http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/files/ham/73.html

Amongst other interesting factoids re copyrighting, here is something from the Federal Copyright document at:
    http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#what

Where it says, in part:
    When is my work protected?
    Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

This implies that as a matter of court convenience, the government recommends that a writer is best served if the item is registered with the copyright office lest the attorneys have a steep, uphill battle to get their way and, as we all know, this is how lawyers' mansions are built, complete with Caddies and Mercedes Benz autos, not to mention the golf course in the back yard.

There are many good ideas on that page. As I read it, anytime someone creates a literary work, it is copyrighted even though it may not be registered with the copyright office. To take it to court, it has to be formally registered with the Copyright Office. Reading that website and other copyright information offered on that site's Home Page is recommended for anyone wanting to argue points of copyrighting formalities and traditions.

Therefore, for anyone to propose that his/her work is copyrighted is not at question when ideas come up of whether it is legal to download a literary work. The greater question is: Was that work officially, formally and actually registered with the Copyright Office or was it merely assumed that it was copyrighted because it was created and automatically copyrighted? If it was not officially copyrighted and a copyright reference number assigned, then there no court case is possible, according to that Government Copyright website, since there is no official, bona fide record of who was the author or when, specifically, it was created. However, this is not the end of the matter as we now must consider Ethics.

Ethical concepts and ramifications are indeed quite another matter. Most comments in this blog seem to be in agreement that someone's work should not be used detrimentally to the author/owner of the work and that to be aboveboard, if someone's work is to be used at all, then permission should be ceded by the author to the person/s who require/s it. But keep in mind that the legal aspects of ethics is similar to a flower growing from a cloud. Why? Guess who officially determines what is ethical? It is not a mere matter of consensus, usually, but the decision usually comes from someone appointed to think for us and much of the time that person's decisions are not completely acceptable to everyone.

The more you dig, the deeper it gets.

13. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree completely. This would have been a much better approach. However, as was indicated on that website I posted by KB9MWR:
    http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/files/ham/73.html
    where he said: "I contacted Wayne to see if there was any type of CD-ROM or other archive of his magazine. He said he didn't know of any source other than scanning in over 50,000 pages. Which he thought was daunting to sell maybe dozens of CDs."

Maybe now that this archive has been made available, someone will do Wayne Green a favor and offer the magazine as a series of CD's although Buckmaster has such an archive already available—at a Buckmaster price which is far above my consideration. I would prefer to buy out someone's collection of 73 Mag at a hamfest. Here is Buckmaster's "offering":

http://web.archive.org/web/20021207221411/http://buck.com/magbroch.html

14. G0OIL

G0OIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Eek. That's expensive ... plus it's on microfilm. Microfilm? Don't they do a version in Latin on a parchment scroll? I'd pay 10 Denarii for that....

15. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Articles by W1YW--N1IR--CHIP

Listing of N1IR Articles in 73 Magazine, aka W1YW, aka 'Chip', fractenna@aol.com--

April 1996

The N1IR Tree Antenna

Stick a tree in your backyard and get on your local repeater!!

September 1996

FRACVERT: Small Fractal Footprint Vertical

Twisted Ternary Tophats !!

September 1998

Multibanding the Fracvert Half-Wave

"The antenna may be available commercially later (its patent is pending), but for now all hams are welcome to make their own and experiment with the multihand capabilities."

I think this quoted comment from the end of the September 1998 article just about sums it all up!!

73 All, and May the Fractals Be With You!!

(Oops, did I just use a 'copyrighted' word?!?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.